Before They Were Famous

nash61

I was doing a random Google search, and came across this:

patrick-roy-js-giguere.jpg

Yes, that is a 13-year-old J-S Giguere with Patrick Roy.

I also heard a story about Patrick Kane accidentally appearing on a hockey card (as a 5-year-old in the crowd) before he went on to have hockey cards of his own. Has anyone else seen any cool pictures of athletes before they were famous?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a pretty neat one of Jackie Robinson playing football for UCLA that I saw once. He was on a breakaway run for a touchdown, it was pretty awesome. I wish I'd remember where I'd seen it, I couldnt post it anyways because I'm in my iPod, so all apologies. I know to UCLA'ers at the time he was probably already famous, but he wasn't quite Jackie Robinson as we know him at the time.

Then, of course, there's the recently circulating video of Andy Reid at an LA Rams punt-pass-kick competition in the 70's. Not a picture particularly, but still a great (and freaking hilarious) before-they-were-famous moment.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

There's a pretty neat one of Jackie Robinson playing football for UCLA that I saw once. He was on a breakaway run for a touchdown, it was pretty awesome. I wish I'd remember where I'd seen it, I couldnt post it anyways because I'm in my iPod, so all apologies. I know to UCLA'ers at the time he was probably already famous, but he wasn't quite Jackie Robinson as we know him at the time.

Prob not exactly what you were looking for, but...

brooklyn-dodger-jackie-robinson-as-a-all-conference-tailback-for-ucla-1940.jpg

Jackie Robinson as a tailback for UCLA

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

1949-1950 Minneapolis Lakers - 1950 NBA Champions

espndb_1950nbachamp_576.jpg

See #20, first one to the right of the coach (the guy in the suit)?

He became a pretty good football coach.

Had to look that one up. I would never have guessed...

6uXNWAo.png

tigerwoodzretro.jpg

Tiger Woods?

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Any guesses as to who this is? (not Cam Neely, the other guy)

hockeypic.jpg

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Alright, since we all know this thread, as with others of this nature, WILL degenerate, I'm placing the over/under on the dilution of this thread into "picture of semi-well-known guy from favorite team" at two pages.

(And that's if it hasn't happened already.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Any guesses as to who this is? (not Cam Neely, the other guy)

hockeypic.jpg

Would that be Tom Glavine?

I know he grew up in Massachusetts and was drafted by the Kings.

We have a winner!

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Alright, since we all know this thread, as with others of this nature, WILL degenerate, I'm placing the over/under on the dilution of this thread into "picture of semi-well-known guy from favorite team" at two pages.

(And that's if it hasn't happened already.)

J-S Giguere, Patrick Kane, TIger Woods, Jackie Robinson, Andy Reid, Tom Glavine.... I think it's still doing okay.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived