2011-2012 NCAA Football Uniform Thread

Lights Out

The new Penn State jerseys without the white trim have arrived: http://youtu.be/2fRGXDDsaRA

Wow. That looks like a practice jersey.

Of course you would say that.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just gonna say it. Black is a great sports color. Teams that incorporate black into their color schemes are doing it because they are TRYING to make their look "better". You can define better however you want (cooler, sleeker, tougher, meaner, intimidating-er, whatever). But it is always done as a way to make a team/school/program LOOK BETTER. The motivation behind wanting to look better is . . . . . MONEY, and in college sports, recruiting (which can lead to wins, which leads to money). Bottom line is teams want to make money. They can make money by selling merchandise. Fans want to buy merchandise that looks cool, especially the casual fans. There is a current design aesthetic that says black looks good.

It doesn't look good in all cases, and many teams have misused it. Many traditionalists are angry about it. However, black isn't added for "black's sake". That makes no sense. Black is added for aesthetics' sake. And sometimes these designs are a hit (Hawaii's redesign, imo, is awesome). And sometimes they are a miss (the Celtics black alt is terrible, imo). But attractive, pleasing design is always the intent behind a designer choosing to add black.

BFAS. Black For Aesthetics Sake. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But BFBS will no longer be in my vocabulary because its a stupid f-ing phrase. BFAS.

I'm just gonna say it. Black is a great sports color. Teams that incorporate black into their color schemes are doing it because they are TRYING to make their look "better". You can define better however you want (cooler, sleeker, tougher, meaner, intimidating-er, whatever). But it is always done as a way to make a team/school/program LOOK BETTER. The motivation behind wanting to look better is . . . . . MONEY, and in college sports, recruiting (which can lead to wins, which leads to money). Bottom line is teams want to make money. They can make money by selling merchandise. Fans want to buy merchandise that looks cool, especially the casual fans. There is a current design aesthetic that says black looks good.

All that doesn't make it right.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

No, but you can't blame someone for trying to make money.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

No, but you can't blame someone for trying to make money.

Maybe so, but I sure as hell can attack their motives, and 99.99% of the schools who add black have bull :censored: motives.

However, black isn't added for "black's sake". That makes no sense. Black is added for aesthetics' sake.

Bull. It's always added for one reason and one reason only. To sell merchandise. That's all it's added for.

But attractive, pleasing design is always the intent behind a designer choosing to add black.

You would be wrong.

BFAS. Black For Aesthetics Sake. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But BFBS will no longer be in my vocabulary because its a stupid f-ing phrase. BFAS.

The new Penn State jerseys without the white trim have arrived: http://youtu.be/2fRGXDDsaRA

He's right, though. You could just order a custom navy practice jersey with plain white numbers online from an online retailer for much cheaper than what Nike will likely charge for the replicas and it would look pretty much the same. Plus you wouldn't be supporting counterfeiting by doing so.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

He's right, though. You could just order a custom navy practice jersey with plain white numbers online from an online retailer for much cheaper than what Nike will likely charge for the replicas and it would look pretty much the same. Plus you wouldn't be supporting counterfeiting by doing so.

This is Penn State's look though. I get that the modernists don't like it, but frankly the Lions just wouldn't look right in anything else.

Please, don't play that card. You would be piling on Penn State's look even if they kept that version of their uniforms. In fact I'm pretty sure the modernists were doing just that before the redesign. Yet because they went back to an earlier design you're ready to champion this look? I don't buy it.

Please, don't play that card. You would be piling on Penn State's look even if they kept that version of their uniforms. In fact I'm pretty sure the modernists were doing just that before the redesign.

Captain Broadbrush strikes again! B)

For the record, I'd be lying if I said that the previous Penn State uniforms were my favorite. But (on rare occasions) I can appreciate a simple, elegant uniform, and the old Penn State uniforms fit the bill there, IMO.

xLmjWVv.png

I'm basing this on observable posting habits. I'm pretty sure you were one of the people calling Penn State's last uniform set (with the contrasting cuffs and collar trim) plain and boring. Now once they remove the trim you're ready to defend the previous set that had it? If this is a case of not knowing something good while you had it just say so. Don't try to pass yourself off as someone who was ready to accept Penn State's understated look all along. You simply weren't.

I prefer the Penn State Uniforms with the trim just because it gives it some contrast and its not as boring as the new ones.

Anyways I was glad to see some uniform news on here. The whole argument about black is stupid, you guys really need to just shut up about it and move on.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

I prefer the Penn State Uniforms with the trim just because it gives it some contrast and its not as boring as the new ones.

Anyways I was glad to see some uniform news on here. The whole argument about black is stupid, you guys really need to just shut up about it and move on.

It's relevant to the proceedings. Some new NCAA uniforms for 2011-2012 include black, we're discussing the pros and cons of its use. It's on topic.

I'm basing this on observable posting habits. I'm pretty sure you were one of the people calling Penn State's last uniform set (with the contrasting cuffs and collar trim) plain and boring. Now once they remove the trim you're ready to defend the previous set that had it? If this is a case of not knowing something good while you had it just say so. Don't try to pass yourself off as someone who was ready to accept Penn State's understated look all along. You simply weren't.

My point was, the previous Penn State uniforms were never my favorite, but they were a hell of a lot better than what they're going to wear this coming season.

xLmjWVv.png

Archived