Tampa Bay Lightning (NHL): RGB-Optimized Graphics

TruColor

ter7ez865egocsy6cv5d17htn.gif

I maintain this was the best design. Having the lightning bolt go through Tampa Bay almost says "Tampa Bay Lightning" in a Buffalo Sabres sort of way.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I maintain this was the best design. Having the lightning bolt go through Tampa Bay almost says "Tampa Bay Lightning" in a Buffalo Sabres sort of way.

Agreed. I do like the new logo and jerseys that will be hitting the ice, but this is a damn good logo and does what a hockey logo should do, much like Buffalo and New Jersey.

Shame they couldn't find a way to use it with the new scheme.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

This logo IS alot like the Sabres logo... a poorly designed pile of cr@p

That was brilliant. To bad it never even made it onto the shoulders.

It's a poor logo. The state behind the bolt looks like a limp you know what.

How old are you?

Theres not enough contrast between the Map of Florida and the Bolt. The shapes just bleed together with the detail of the map getting lost in the clutter. The pre-edge version of this logo worked alot better, particularly with that shade of Electric Blue it debuted with.

Theres not enough contrast between the Map of Florida and the Bolt. The shapes just bleed together with the detail of the map getting lost in the clutter. The pre-edge version of this logo worked alot better, particularly with that shade of Electric Blue it debuted with.

The pre-Edge Lightning logos were, well, crap. The bolt looked like something someone would doodle. Though the pre-Edge Florida logo was definitely better then the pre-Edge primary logo.

Two unrelated fonts and a circle that just ends for no reason. Brilliant! :rolleyes:

All things considered, though, this is my ideal Tampa Bay Lightning logo...

2ug23xbpipg9odtaf2hyx83a1.png

Slap that on the pre-Edge sweaters, throw a TB monogram on the shoulders, and you have a winner.

The pre-Edge Lightning logos were, well, crap. The bolt looked like something someone would doodle. Though the pre-Edge Florida logo was definitely better then the pre-Edge primary logo.

Two unrelated fonts and a circle that just ends for no reason. Brilliant! :rolleyes:

Slap that on the pre-Edge sweaters, throw a TB monogram on the shoulders, and you have a winner.

I think the Bolt on the Edge logo looks more like a doodle myself. I agree the pre-edge logo is awful... yet for some reason I kind of like it. Maybe its just nostalgic interference or the association with a cup victory but I didn't think it needed to be changed. Or it might be the fact that neither of the upgrades looked particularly good.

Primary Logo 2 (2011-2012 through present):

TampaBayLightning_PML2_2012-9999_SOL_SRGB.png

I wish they would put that logo at center ice rather than the blue lightning bolt. Lightning bolts are more white in color than blue.

Even though I still say that logo sucks, I find the white bolt much sharper than the blue one.

I dont think they can because that would require them to paint a portion of the ice blue to make it visible which (just my guess) is not allowed by NHL regulation? Can someone give me a definite yes or no on this (with the source of info)

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

I think the Bolt on the Edge logo looks more like a doodle myself. I agree the pre-edge logo is awful... yet for some reason I kind of like it. Maybe its just nostalgic interference or the association with a cup victory but I didn't think it needed to be changed. Or it might be the fact that neither of the upgrades looked particularly good.

I don't know. Maybe it's the large swaths of black that form the "shadow" or "outline" of the pre-Edge bolt, but it always reminded me of construction paper, or having been drawn with a thick, chisel-tipped permanent marker. The version with the state of Florida was easily the least offensive version though. Had they stuck that on the front of the pre-Edge sweaters I could have lived with it.

As for the current Lightning setup, the primary logo is going for iconic, but something doesn't seem right. The best word I can think of to describe it is "skewed."

Simply tweaking the new alternate logo, I came up with this.

u9j9gjgn2t7ir1w783olorjrl-1.png

My total issue with the above-posted logo, and concepts similar to it, is this: you have a dynamic symbol mostly contained within a static shape.

I guess I never really paid much attention to the Lightning's logos over the years (or cared to, I suppose), but they've all featured a perfect circle. The difference is that in previous iterations, the bolt went over the entire logo, and was usually accompanied by text of some sort, so the perfect circle wasn't noticeable. Strip away the extra colors and all text, and we're left with something like what Ice posted above. In and of itself, it's not a bad logo design at all, but, for a team with such a dynamic nickname (in context...split your minds from it being the name of a pro sports franchise for a second), it's quite boring and leaves much to be desired.

The new primary logo does achieve one thing: it promotes much more of a dynamic vibe, what with the unbalanced oval and whatnot. In road guise, it also adds italicized text, for even more of an intended dynamic feel. The problem with that, though, is that more static marks are incorporated with this new mark (the shoulder logo), and all that is plopped onto a straight-basic, run-of-the-mill uniform design. The addition of bolts to the breezers will go a long way towards improving that look, though. (Or so I hope...depends on what the final revision ends up looking like.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

As for the current Lightning setup, the primary logo is going for iconic, but something doesn't seem right. The best word I can think of to describe it is "skewed."

Doesn't really work does it? The logo really needs some contrast...a 2nd colour.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Primary Logo 2 (2011-2012 through present):

TampaBayLightning_PML2_2012-9999_SOL_SRGB.png

I wish they would put that logo at center ice rather than the blue lightning bolt. Lightning bolts are more white in color than blue.

Even though I still say that logo sucks, I find the white bolt much sharper than the blue one.

I dont think they can because that would require them to paint a portion of the ice blue to make it visible which (just my guess) is not allowed by NHL regulation? Can someone give me a definite yes or no on this (with the source of info)

I don't think they would have to paint a good portion of the center ice circle blue to have that logo there. I think the blue oval from the logo is all you would need for the background, and they could put blue trim around the lightning bolt portion that extends outside the oval and around the white border that surrounds the oval.

I think white logos on ice can bee done. If I recall didn't the Atlanta Flames have the white version of thier "flamming A" logo at center ice at the old Omni Arena rather than the red version? It was bordered with red trim which is what made it work. The same could apply with this logo thanks to the navy blue oval that contains the bolt.

The Catch of the Day!

I don't think they would have to paint a good portion of the center ice circle blue to have that logo there. I think the blue oval from the logo is all you would need for the background, and they could put blue trim around the lightning bolt portion that extends outside the oval and around the white border that surrounds the oval.

I think white logos on ice can bee done. If I recall didn't the Atlanta Flames have the white version of thier "flamming A" logo at center ice at the old Omni Arena rather than the red version? It was bordered with red trim which is what made it work. The same could apply with this logo thanks to the navy blue oval that contains the bolt.

Technically that would work except the teams Style Guide specifically states that there should never be any kind of fill inside of the circle. In other words, the middle has to be completely transparent..

Doesn't really work does it? The logo really needs some contrast...a 2nd colour.

It needs silver! That metallic shade was the only thing that made Tampa's previous logos stand out.

Archived