Minor leaguer suing the Ducks over religious harassment.

charger77

Can't blame him. He's not going to be making money from being in the NHL anytime soon and he probably has some bills to pay.

I doubt this was your full meaning, but it's not right to assume it's just a money grab. Unfortunately, that kind of assumption (although probably not your intention) can be spun into a well known derogatory Jewish stereotype. I just think he's doing the right thing, that's why the applicable laws are in place. Religious discrimination is illegal, and companies/employers should be hammered for it, when warranted.

I both take offence at your assertion that faith is wrong while applaud your assertion that people of my faith being persecuted is wrong ^_^

While I'm not religious, I'm "live and let live". Unfortunately, the various religions as a whole, cannot "live and let live" with each other.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I strongly disagree with the 99.9%. I would be more likely to say that over 99.9% of religious people aren't good and kind. And non-religious people are generally "better" and "kinder" than religious people, based on my experience.

Yeah, I've met a bunch of atheists, specifically at my school, and I've never once had someone try to force their religion (or lack thereof) on me, however it happens all the time when I encounter Christians. I mean, I'm a Christian, but not a big one at all, even though I'm getting Confirmed into the Roman Catholic Church this spring (only to not start a huge fight in my family though). Pushy Christians keep pushing (no pun intended) me away from the Church.

This... is the biggest problem with organized religions. They don't give two raunchy craps about whether you're actually getting something out of it or even if you actually believe anything they tell you at all... just as long as you're willing to "play ball" and add to the strength in numbers they use to justify their existence.

Religion has nothing to do with being treating people improperly. Religion at it's core teaches people to treat others properly and to lift each other up. The problem is that people are selfish by nature and have this urge to get ahead by putting other people down and elevating themselves. I know the in the Bible Jesus says, "The greatest commandment is to Love thy Lord with all thy heart, might, mind and stregnth and the second is likened unto it, love thy neighbor as thyself." I know many other religions are the same. Religion is not bad. Some people within religion are bad. 99.9% of religious people are good and kind, yet we only hear about the arrogant and bad apples. Now as far as this goes, I say let justice and time take it's course to see who's right and who's wrong.

Therein lies the issue. Each religion interprets the Bible differently. And it's the loudmouth evangelicals from all faiths that have hidden the core meanings of love and acceptance into veiled guises of "love the sinner, not the sin" and "if you're not with us, you're against us".

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I strongly disagree with the 99.9%. I would be more likely to say that over 99.9% of religious people aren't good and kind. And non-religious people are generally "better" and "kinder" than religious people, based on my experience.

Yeah, I've met a bunch of atheists, specifically at my school, and I've never once had someone try to force their religion (or lack thereof) on me, however it happens all the time when I encounter Christians. I mean, I'm a Christian, but not a big one at all, even though I'm getting Confirmed into the Roman Catholic Church this spring (only to not start a huge fight in my family though). Pushy Christians keep pushing (no pun intended) me away from the Church.

This... is the biggest problem with organized religions. They don't give two raunchy craps about whether you're actually getting something out of it or even if you actually believe anything they tell you at all... just as long as you're willing to "play ball" and add to the strength in numbers they use to justify their existence.

Well said, illwauk. It's organized religions that's the problem with most religions as they're designed to take advantage of believers and use religion to swindle people out of their money too. Most decent Christians I've met are not members of the church, from the sense they don't belong to a church, but have been baptized and go during Easter/Thanksgiving/Christmas. Usually people who worship independently are more accepting and don't lay down the unwritten rule of "If you don't belong to MY church, then you AREN'T a true *insert religion here*"

As far as atheists go, most of them are the biggest hypocrites alive. Often blaming religion for the world's evils, and then saying they're tolerant of others, only to then spout off why your religion - whatever it may be, is bull :censored: There might be some who aren't that way, but every one I've met so far is like that. I guess you could consider them Darwin's Witnesses, since they do worship him unofficially.

Personally, I don't care what god you believe in, or if you believe in him at all, since as far as I'm concerned everyone is capable of the greatest good or evil - no matter what their background is.

I love the fact that you can clearly tell people in this thread who aren't religious as they are the ones slamming religion and the people who believe in it, and showing their complete ignorance of religions. It's not different than someone saying that Muslims are bad, or blacks are bad based on their "knowledge". Instead of saying a religon or all religions are bad, why not learn about them and find out what they are really about? Or is putting out an effort to be civil and tolerant too much for you and you'd rather be lazy and call something you don't know a thing about bad. That is called complete ignorance.

I love the fact that you can clearly tell people in this thread who aren't religious as they are the ones slamming religion and the people who believe in it, and showing their complete ignorance of religions. It's not different than someone saying that Muslims are bad, or blacks are bad based on their "knowledge". Instead of saying a religon or all religions are bad, why not learn about them and find out what they are really about? Or is putting out an effort to be civil and tolerant too much for you and you'd rather be lazy and call something you don't know a thing about bad. That is called complete ignorance.

I did try to learn, but like I said, it's kind of hard to learn about (and respect) a religion when so many of those who claim to practice it seriously are complete douchebags. I'm not saying that all religious people are bad. But I am saying that the ones who "trumpet" it the most are some of the nastiest and worst people I've met. So it's hard for me to respect religion too much when I've met so many nasty people who claim to be very religious.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I did try to learn, but like I said, it's kind of hard to learn about (and respect) a religion when so many of those who claim to practice it seriously are complete douchebags. I'm not saying that all religious people are bad. But I am saying that the ones who "trumpet" it the most are some of the nastiest and worst people I've met. So it's hard for me to respect religion too much when I've met so many nasty people who claim to be very religious.

Are you still on this?

The Ducks owners are Jewish. Just saying.

That's super.

Doesn't mean a damn thing if the people running team underneath the owners are letting this bigotry go on unpunished.

Fair point. But clearly:

The documents say Bailey complained to the Ducks organization about his work environment and the team reacted by instructing the coaches to write apology letters to him about using hurtful language.

The Ducks weren't too happy about it either. Although really, they should have taken it further at the time.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Are you still on this?

What? Yeah, I am.

Are you still on this?

What? Yeah, I am.

Then start your own thread about the evils of having faith in G-d.

Fact is that this should be a thread dealing with the fact that anti-Semitism is still tolerated in the 21st century. How would you like it if I decided hijack a thread about a pro sports organization tolerating racism against people of colour as a way to go on about my personal views on religion?

Are you still on this?

What? Yeah, I am.

Fact is that this should be a thread dealing with the fact that anti-Semitism is still tolerated in the 21st century. How would you like it if I decided hijack a thread about a pro sports organization tolerating racism against people of colour as a way to go on about my personal views on religion?

No, I think this thread is dealing with the fact that anti-Semitism isn't tolerated in the 21st century. If it were tolerated, this thread wouldn't exist, because the player wouldn't have a case.

My discussion regarding religion was relevant because we are talking about, well, religious discrimination. If this lawsuit was about a player being discriminated against because of his color, then by all means I would welcome discussion of racism against people of color in the thread, but religion would kind of be off topic.

It's not really germaine to the topic, but...

At Falcons games, they have these Bible-thumpers that are calling the incoming fans 'sinners' as they approach the stadium. Just to be a wise-ass, I went up to one of these Christian-fanatics and asked him, "I'm Jewish...is it alright if I go and enjoy the football game?"....

Are you still on this?

What? Yeah, I am.

No, I think this thread is dealing with the fact that anti-Semitism isn't tolerated in the 21st century. If it were tolerated, this thread wouldn't exist, because the player wouldn't have a case.

If it wasn't tolerated the coach would have been fired. Instead the Ducks had him write a letter of apology, which something they make you do when you've hurt another student's feelings in middle school.

The fact that the Ducks had the coach do something indicates they knew something wrong was going on, but the fact that "something" was writing a G-ddamn letter indicates they didn't care enough to really do something. 'Cause the guy's only a Jew right? Who cares?

My discussion regarding religion was relevant because we are talking about, well, religious discrimination. If this lawsuit was about a player being discriminated against because of his color, then by all means I would welcome discussion of racism against people of color in the thread, but religion would kind of be off topic.

"Religious discrimination" is not the same topic as "is religion evil?" One really has nothing to do with another. Here we have someone who was discriminated against because of his religion (and some would say his ethnicity) at his place of employment. How that became "Is religion good or evil? Discuss" is beyond me. Yeah Milo started it, but he at least had the common cutesy to steer himself back on topic.

You though? You seem determined to keep this thread about how belief in G-d makes someone evil, rather then the topic of religious discrimination in a society that apparently knows better.

Archived