Minor leaguer suing the Ducks over religious harassment.

charger77

I love the fact that you can clearly tell people in this thread who aren't religious as they are the ones slamming religion and the people who believe in it, and showing their complete ignorance of religions. It's not different than someone saying that Muslims are bad, or blacks are bad based on their "knowledge". Instead of saying a religon or all religions are bad, why not learn about them and find out what they are really about? Or is putting out an effort to be civil and tolerant too much for you and you'd rather be lazy and call something you don't know a thing about bad. That is called complete ignorance.

I did try to learn, but like I said, it's kind of hard to learn about (and respect) a religion when so many of those who claim to practice it seriously are complete douchebags. I'm not saying that all religious people are bad. But I am saying that the ones who "trumpet" it the most are some of the nastiest and worst people I've met. So it's hard for me to respect religion too much when I've met so many nasty people who claim to be very religious.

Are you still on this?

What? Yeah, I am.

Fact is that this should be a thread dealing with the fact that anti-Semitism is still tolerated in the 21st century. How would you like it if I decided hijack a thread about a pro sports organization tolerating racism against people of colour as a way to go on about my personal views on religion?

No, I think this thread is dealing with the fact that anti-Semitism isn't tolerated in the 21st century. If it were tolerated, this thread wouldn't exist, because the player wouldn't have a case.

If it wasn't tolerated the coach would have been fired. Instead the Ducks had him write a letter of apology, which something they make you do when you've hurt another student's feelings in middle school.

The fact that the Ducks had the coach do something indicates they knew something wrong was going on, but the fact that "something" was writing a G-ddamn letter indicates they didn't care enough to really do something. 'Cause the guy's only a Jew right? Who cares?

My discussion regarding religion was relevant because we are talking about, well, religious discrimination. If this lawsuit was about a player being discriminated against because of his color, then by all means I would welcome discussion of racism against people of color in the thread, but religion would kind of be off topic.

"Religious discrimination" is not the same topic as "is religion evil?" One really has nothing to do with another. Here we have someone who was discriminated against because of his religion (and some would say his ethnicity) at his place of employment. How that became "Is religion good or evil? Discuss" is beyond me. Yeah Milo started it, but he at least had the common cutesy to steer himself back on topic.

You though? You seem determined to keep this thread about how belief in G-d makes someone evil, rather then the topic of religious discrimination in a society that apparently knows better.

Oh please. You honestly think that Jews are more discriminated against than most other minorities in America? Jews hold a ton of political power in America. That's why this lawsuit is able to go forward.

And if you didn't notice, about half the posts in this thread are just people posting their general thoughts about religion. Seriously, go and check. Yet, as usual, you single me out. Get a life, man. Move on.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh please. You honestly think that Jews are more discriminated against than most other minorities in America?

Did I say that? No. I never said that, or even implied that. You're reading what you want to read.

Jews hold a ton of political power in America. That's why this lawsuit is able to go forward.

Ah the "evil Jews control the world" bit. Keep it classy loogodude.

And for the record the lawsuit is going forward because it's clear the Ducks and/or Condors violated anti-discrimination laws. The lawsuit would be going forward if the player in question was black. It has nothing to do with him being Jewish.

And if you didn't notice, about half the posts in this thread are just people posting their general thoughts about religion. Seriously, go and check. Yet, as usual, you single me out. Get a life, man. Move on.

I've singled you out because you're overly argumentative/confrontational, seem to argue the most inane points, put words in my mouth (first you claimed that I hate Muslims because I'm Jewish, now you've said I claimed Jews were the most persecuted minority in America), and just generally take a confrontational attitude towards my people in general.

I've singled you out above all others here based on your posting history on related topics. You obviously don't like us, you've made that much clear. In a topic where a Jew has been discriminated against you're doing all you can to steer the topic off track. Why? You don't like us and want to keep the fact that we still indeed face bigotry in this world brushed aside so you and people like you can go on hating us while pretending it's socially acceptable to do so.

I don't know what the :censored: happened to you. Maybe a rabbi ran over your puppy as a child. Whatever your reasoning, I don't appreciate your trivialization of my people's history. Did I say we were the most persecuted group in the world? No. We have suffered hardships, however, and I don't appreciate it when someone tries to trivialize those hardships.

EDIT-

Sorry, you posted while I was writing my response Gothamite. I don't, however, intend to drop it. Not as long as this anti-Semitic troll keeps his "damn Jews" shtick going.

I love the fact that you can clearly tell people in this thread who aren't religious as they are the ones slamming religion and the people who believe in it, and showing their complete ignorance of religions. It's not different than someone saying that Muslims are bad, or blacks are bad based on their "knowledge". Instead of saying a religon or all religions are bad, why not learn about them and find out what they are really about? Or is putting out an effort to be civil and tolerant too much for you and you'd rather be lazy and call something you don't know a thing about bad. That is called complete ignorance.

If you're defending religion, then wouldn't it be redundant to use Islamophobia a metaphor unless you don't consider Islam to be a religion? And I'm pretty sure black people can't wake up tomorrow morning and decide not to be black the way Christians could decide to no longer be Christians.

Lot of text being posted here in no way germane to the fact that antisemitism is really really unacceptable.

Let nothing stand in the way of a good religion vs atheism b!tchfest.

I think everyone here takes for granted that Anti-Semitism isn't cool. And there's plenty of reasons to detest the idea of organized religion aside from being an atheist.

Lot of text being posted here in no way germane to the fact that antisemitism is really really unacceptable.

I think everyone here takes for granted that Anti-Semitism isn't cool.

Well the lawsuit proves that isn't the case. Apparently there are people who think it's totally "cool." Hence this incident (or series of incidents) happening to begin with. It's not like anti-Semitism just magically disappeared after 1945. It's still alive and well, and this is a prime example of that fact. Also, loogodude.

And to go off what you said in response to oddball's post, it's not like Jews can just wake up and decide not be Jewish. Sure I could wake up tomorrow and convert to any other religion, or denounce G-d's existence all together. That's pretty much meaningless in the context of anti-Semitism, however. Since Hitler the rules have changed. To be Jewish isn't so much to follow a religion as much as it is to be part of an "ethnicity" (though there hasn't been a cohesive Jewish ethnicity since Biblical times).

I could convert to the Anglican Church tomorrow (the faith of my mom's family) and I would still be considered a "dirty Jew" by the main peddlers of anti-Semtitc "thought."

And there's plenty of reasons to detest the idea of organized religion aside from being an atheist.

I'm sure there are.

I'm simply saying that I belong to an "organized religion." I go to Temple, I had a bar mitzvah, and all that jazz. Yet I've never felt the urge to "convert the heathens" or push my beliefs onto others. You're painting all of organized religion with a single stroke is unfair, because there are those of us out there who hold a variety of different religious beliefs, belong to an organized religion, and who aren't tools about it.

Well the lawsuit proves that isn't the case. Apparently there are people who think it's totally "cool."

Hence why I referred to everyone "here." I was addressing Admiral's observation that very little of the conversation in this thread was actually denouncing Anti-Semitism.

And there's plenty of reasons to detest the idea of organized religion aside from being an atheist.

I'm sure there are.

I'm simply saying that I belong to an "organized religion." I go to Temple, I had a bar mitzvah, and all that jazz. Yet I've never felt the urge to "convert the heathens" or push my beliefs onto others. You're painting all of organized religion with a single stroke is unfair, because there are those of us out there who hold a variety of different religious beliefs, belong to an organized religion, and who aren't tools about it.

To be fair, earlier in the thread I mentioned that "converting the heathens" only applies to 66.6% of the abrahamic religions... the Jews fall squarely into the other bracket.

Well the lawsuit proves that isn't the case. Apparently there are people who think it's totally "cool."

Hence why I referred to everyone "here." I was addressing Admiral's observation that very little of the conversation in this thread was actually denouncing Anti-Semitism.

I'm still sure loogodude thinks this is an accurate representation of the Jewish people.

I'm sure there are.

To be fair, earlier in the thread I mentioned that "converting the heathens" only applies to 66.6% of the abrahamic religions... the Jews fall squarely into the other bracket.

Well a few things.

1) I know it's the math, and not intentional, but I DID get a chuckle out of the "66.6" thing.

2) We do fall on the other side of that bracket now. Unfortunately we haven't always. We had our "convert by the sword" moments back in Old Testament times.

3) Still finding that 66.6 number in a religious discussion funny :D

It's not really germaine to the topic, but...

At Falcons games, they have these Bible-thumpers that are calling the incoming fans 'sinners' as they approach the stadium. Just to be a wise-ass, I went up to one of these Christian-fanatics and asked him, "I'm Jewish...is it alright if I go and enjoy the football game?"....

There are devout religious fanatics who have some sort of "kiosk" set up outside TD Garden in Boston. I don't think they gather specifically for any event, because the Garden is also situated over a commuter rail hub. Some of these people also hang around the entrance to the subway across the street.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

At Falcons games, they have these Bible-thumpers that are calling the incoming fans 'sinners' as they approach the stadium. Just to be a wise-ass, I went up to one of these Christian-fanatics and asked him, "I'm Jewish...is it alright if I go and enjoy the football game?"....

There are devout religious fanatics who have some sort of "kiosk" set up outside TD Garden in Boston. I don't think they gather specifically for any event, because the Garden is also situated over a commuter rail hub. Some of these people also hang around the entrance to the subway across the street.

Outside Verizon Center there are these religious people who are obsessed with screaming GOT TICKETS?! NEED TICKETS?! in your face, I'm not sure whether theyre trying to convert people or something though...

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

If it wasn't tolerated the coach would have been fired. Instead the Ducks had him write a letter of apology, which something they make you do when you've hurt another student's feelings in middle school.

The fact that the Ducks had the coach do something indicates they knew something wrong was going on, but the fact that "something" was writing a G-ddamn letter indicates they didn't care enough to really do something. 'Cause the guy's only a Jew right? Who cares?

Not like there was much else they actually could do. As much as it really should have been taken further.

Example situation: Carlyle calls Ryan Getzlaf a "Dirty Scumbag". Getzlaf then complains to someone higher up within the Ducks organisation. If that happened, Carlyle would be fired on the spot.

Now when it came to the Condors, the Ducks had very little, if any control over what went on when they were affiliated. The affiliation was only really there for Anaheim to, pardon the pun, increase the Ducks' footprint in Southern California, and all they ever did was send three or four prospects there. None of Bakersfield's coaching staff were Ducks employees. The Ducks could not punish someone who wasn't directly working for them.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Outside Verizon Center there are these religious people who are obsessed with screaming GOT TICKETS?! NEED TICKETS?! in your face, I'm not sure whether theyre trying to convert people or something though...

Must be an East Coast thing.

I don't think I've ever seen this happen in the Midwest. Not even some crazy and/or drunk college dude outside of Indiana football games screaming "Repent!" and "The End is Near!" (The latter being a common subject for Indiana football after September.)

EDIT: OK, maybe January this year. :rolleyes:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Our religious crazies tend to hang around outside public libraries, Walgreens, street corners, more mundane stuff like that. You can hector us when we need to pick up a gallon of milk, but if you try to do that before FOOTBALL...

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Wow... is this was a fight, then Ice just won by TKO in the 1st Round. Hopefully, nothing that I said bothered you man.

Luckily, I've been to a ton of sporting events in the west, south, and east - but not once have I been approached by a religious fanatic yet.

No worries man. Nothing you said was an issue. It was all looooooooooogodude.

I just now discovered this post, and as a Christian (Catholic) myself, I feel like I need to say a few things to clear the air. This is mainly prompted by the comment saying that about 99.9% of religious people aren't good and kind.

I'm sorry that few of you all have been through experiences where people who identify themselves as being religious come off as being complete douchebags. I know a lot of them exist, but I can assure you that most aren't like that. My thought is that people are people, no matter what they believe. If someone is being a douchebag while preaching their religion, they'd still be a douchebag if they were preaching atheism. I can only speak of the Christian religion, when I say this, but I have never been taught to treat people badly in any way, shape, or form, no matter what their belief is. The principle of "treat others how you'd want them to treat you" is in the Bible, so someone could easily make the argument that religious people (at least Christians) who berate and treat people poorly, even if it's in the name of religion, are going against their own beliefs. Again, I know people like that exist and have (unfortunately) been the poster-children of religion. It's not the teachings of the actual religion that command them be a jerk to everyone. It's them using their religion as a tool and maybe even as an excuse to act this way.

It's saddening to me that these people have jumped into the spotlight and have messed things up for the all of the religious people who are actually kind and respectful to others. People like that do exist, I can assure you.

*sigh*

Yes, only Christians believe in not berating people. I give up. This thread's screwed five ways from Saturday.

That's not what I said or meant at all. I'm sure all religions believe that. All I said was that I couldn't speak for other religions. That is in no way to say that "only Christians" believe in not berating people. I only use Christianity as one example because I can speak from experience.

*sigh*

Yes, only Christians believe in not berating people. I give up. This thread's screwed five ways from Saturday.

That's not what I said or meant at all. I'm sure all religions believe that. All I said was that I couldn't speak for other religions. That is in no way to say that "only Christians" believe in not berating people. I only use Christianity as one example because I can speak from experience.

Sorry man. This is a touchy subject. My apologies. Still, I'm having a hard time following how this turned into a "religion, good or bad?" debate.

Archived