Coaches' Sideline Attire

epper

article-0-0C719587000005DC-368_634x381.jpg

I'm bias, but I've always liked Mancini's trademark scarf/suit.

And when Mike Nolan brought the suit back to the NFL:

mike_nolan.jpg

I'm all about modern styles, but coaches should stick to suits IMO.

And as much as I hate tUOS, Jim Tressel's 'vest' and block O is a nice look.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always liked how NHL coaches wore suits, as well as soccer and basketball.

Football, I almost prefer team-branded apparel. Formal wear is nice, but today's look is better. Like someone in this thread said, it shows off a bit of the coach's character.

Baseball is baseball. Seeing an older and usually out-of-shape man in a uniform screaming in an ump's face is a classic image.

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - est. 2006 

article-0-0C719587000005DC-368_634x381.jpg

I'm bias, but I've always liked Mancini's trademark scarf/suit.

And when Mike Nolan brought the suit back to the NFL:

mike_nolan.jpg

I'm all about modern styles, but coaches should stick to suits IMO.

And as much as I hate tUOS, Jim Tressel's 'vest' and block O is a nice look.

Tressel looks like a manager at Columbus-based Wendy's!

I used to like suits, but realized that it has zero bearing on the game's outcome. Plus the dry cleaning hurts the environment.

If a coach in the Brasileirão, can pull off a polo and jeans, then I'm fine with it. Heck, I liked Al Groh when he coached the Jets to a 4-0 start in a downpour in Tampa, dressed like similarly to this (but in NYJ colors and no belt).

groh.jpg

Suits also depend on how you wear it. Coaching has a lot of men with bellies, so looking portly like Tony Sparano will never make a suit look and fit a well as a Mike Tomlin, Jim Harbaugh, or even someone as slim as Jason Garrett. They will generally look as sloppy as Stan Van Gundy or Frank Layden for the older posters.

Stan Van Gundy drove women wild, man.

You'd better check yourself.

Was it the mock turtleneck? Don't fret ladies, Gary Patterson (TCU) keeps that in style in both short and long sleeves.

In the fashion sense, NFL coaches wearing all-white Reeboks, soon to be Nikes on the sidelines with the khakis is my WTF? Especially if black is a team color. Wear black shoes as white shoes are generally tacky. Hopefully Nike and the NFL will give coaching staffs golf shoes with more style. You don't wear all-white shoes with much, and the NFL coach SOD is not one of them.

^^^^^Well,well,well.Hmmm.Anyways,I'm actually going to go to the 2012 GA Tech vs Miami and wear a tie and dress shirt like him.

And wear your Publix Dan Uggla tee the next day.

Try not to act like at middle schooler if you do not want to be mocked. Others are ways in how not to act. I will not name them independently but I could have.

Do not act as if you are telling us "breaking news". We are adults on the internet and possess more savvy than you.

Not all soccer managers wear a suit at the game. Often they will wear tracksuits or some other form of outerwear. Certainly in the depths of winter that seems to make more sense to me.

I do like the tradition of baseball managers wearing the team uniform. Has anyone apart from Connie Mack ever shunned that?

I do kind of think the best look for an NFL depends on the weather. No point a suit if you need a heavy overcoat over it, nut a Belichiick style hoodie by itself looks untidy, but if it gets too warm the suit is gonna be too much.

Indoor sports should stick to the suits, always looks wrong at the olympics to see basketball coaches in polo shirts.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

paul-brown.jpg

Now, that's how you go to work. Otherwise, I'd wear a hoodie, with the sleeves intact, and in the same color of what my team's jerseys were for that game.

and blend in with everyone on the sidelines. I guess it happens from time to time, but I'd guess that not many coaches try to camouflage themselves so they're players can't find them to pick up signals.

billwalsh.jpg

It didn't work out too badly for this guy.

I've passed this along every other time this subject has come up so I may as well do it again.

According to Sparky Anderson (he was asked about this in an interview I heard with him years ago) the reason baseball managers and coaches wear uniforms and cleats is because they do things like pitch BP, hit fungos and infield practice etc. Back in the day there was no Nike or Adidas producing "sports specific" attire. It was either a uniform or a suit and tie. I think we can all agree that Casey Stengel hitting infield practice in a suit and tie would have looked ridiculous.

My guess is baseball managers and coaches wearing uniforms was born of necessity and continues today because of tradition.

Coaches in other sports wear practice attire, then change into suits/game attire over the course of a day. Are baseball coaches just too lazy to change out of a baseball uniform?

There's nothing more ridiculous than seeing a 60-year-old, well-out-of-shape man wearing a baseball uniform that highly resembles a set of pajamas.

• 3 weeks later...

What I'd like to see in baseball is to have managers wear team-branded apparel like NFL (polos, jackets etc.), but mandatory that they wear the team on-field cap. A happy medium.

I like it when the managers wear the team issued jackets, but still wear the hats. That's the best look IMO.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

This is an interesting issue I think about from time to time. But the way things are, I have always been used to, and I hope they stay that way.

MLB - team uniform and maybe jacket

NFL - "Casual", or whatever you want to call that

NHL & NBA - Suit and tie

If you think about it, this attire kind of makes sense. The managers/coaches who are outdoors and more "braving the elements" (MLB and NFL) are dressed more appropriately for such a thing. And the guys who are indoors and aren't really exposed to dirt or grass are dressed in suits.

I don't know what the history of MLB manager attire is, but I think it would be kind of silly for them to wear suits, just because pretty much every game they jog on the field, get exposed to the dirt that the players get on their uniforms, sit in a dirty dugout, etc.

I guess NFL coaches could dress more formally, but I feel like that would go against the "style" of the sport today (subjective, I know).

I think baseball uniforms are slightly more "formal" than football jerseys (I guess it's the buttons), and I think if a football coach wore a football uniform on the sidelines, something about it would look too informal to me. Especially since in football, coaches are much more visible during the game.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I've passed this along every other time this subject has come up so I may as well do it again.

According to Sparky Anderson (he was asked about this in an interview I heard with him years ago) the reason baseball managers and coaches wear uniforms and cleats is because they do things like pitch BP, hit fungos and infield practice etc. Back in the day there was no Nike or Adidas producing "sports specific" attire. It was either a uniform or a suit and tie. I think we can all agree that Casey Stengel hitting infield practice in a suit and tie would have looked ridiculous.

My guess is baseball managers and coaches wearing uniforms was born of necessity and continues today because of tradition.

Coaches in other sports wear practice attire, then change into suits/game attire over the course of a day. Are baseball coaches just too lazy to change out of a baseball uniform?

There's nothing more ridiculous than seeing a 60-year-old, well-out-of-shape man wearing a baseball uniform that highly resembles a set of pajamas.

Not to mention there's an untapped merchandise market just sitting there. Use baseball coaches to sell golf shirts, windbreakers, jackets, and so on. But it's still a tradition and I don't really have a problem with it.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

I want to see the coach look like an authority figure. I hate when NFL head coaches are indistinguishable from their assistants. That doesn't mean an NFL head coach has to wear a suit, but he should stand out in some way.

I would prefer baseball managers wear some sort of top layer over their uniform like Terry Francona does, but that's asking a lot in the heat of summer.

NBA coaches forgo the tie on some nights. That's okay by me.

Archived