2011 MLB Season Thread

Gary

Cardinal fans: Get the ceremonial knives out, because Albert Pujols ain't going to be in St. Louis after this season.

You can't assume now that he's gone after the season. The rejected offer actually happened a couple weeks ago, reportedly. It's just now getting out because of how private the talks are remaining. I don't think he'll sign before Spring Training. And even though he won't negotiate during the season doesn't mean his agent and the Cardinals won't have "talks". How do you go 6 months without ever at least chatting about it. I think he'll go into free agency, but eventually both teams will go up/come down on the price (Cards will probably make the most concessions) and he'll be signed. It's mainly the length of the contract that's the issue. With a 10-year deal, he'll be 41 during the final year of the contract. If anybody deserves to be signed through that age it's him, but that's still a pretty high risk. I'd definately say give him $30m/year over 7 or 8 years, but if he wants 10, then the annual price needs to come down. He definately deserves to be paid more than A-Rod, but he and the Yankees (and Rangers) screwed up everything.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cardinal fans: Get the ceremonial knives out, because Albert Pujols ain't going to be in St. Louis after this season.

You can't assume now that he's gone after the season. The rejected offer actually happened a couple weeks ago, reportedly. It's just now getting out because of how private the talks are remaining. I don't think he'll sign before Spring Training. And even though he won't negotiate during the season doesn't mean his agent and the Cardinals won't have "talks". How do you go 6 months without ever at least chatting about it. I think he'll go into free agency, but eventually both teams will go up/come down on the price (Cards will probably make the most concessions) and he'll be signed. It's mainly the length of the contract that's the issue. With a 10-year deal, he'll be 41 during the final year of the contract. If anybody deserves to be signed through that age it's him, but that's still a pretty high risk. I'd definately say give him $30m/year over 7 or 8 years, but if he wants 10, then the annual price needs to come down. He definately deserves to be paid more than A-Rod, but he and the Yankees (and Rangers) screwed up everything.

Your assumption the Yankees or Sawx won't just completely go over the top on the Cardinals next offseason is likely flawed.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

There's also a team north of the border with one of the richest owners in pro sports and an $86 albatross off the books.

Hey, I can dream.

I agree that Vernon Wells was worth about $86.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Your assumption the Yankees or Sawx won't just completely go over the top on the Cardinals next offseason is likely flawed.

Although these teams do have Teixiera and Gonzalez right now...

6fQjS3M.png

There's also a team north of the border with one of the richest owners in pro sports and an $86 albatross off the books.

Hey, I can dream.

I agree that Vernon Wells was worth about $86.

Freudian slip.

Of course I meant $86mil.

Setting aside the fact that Pujols is a slight upgrade over them, there's also this thing called the DH. Maybe you've heard of it.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Setting aside the fact that Pujols is a slight upgrade over them, there's also this thing called the DH. Maybe you've heard of it.

Of course, this is true. <_<

6fQjS3M.png

As long as one of the other guys agree to switch. Pujols won't DH.

Unless they offer him 10 full years at $30 million. Money talks, eh?

Today, we are all otaku.

So... He has ALL the leverage, yet HE'D be the one to concede his preference to play the position he's worked his butt off at and turned himself into a Gold Glover? Why of course. How stupid of me not to see the logic in that. Thank you.

So either the Cardinals lose Pujols, or they overpay to keep him around for a really long time. Seems like a lose-lose, just a matter of choosing whether they want to be set back now or set back later.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

So either the Cardinals lose Pujols, or they overpay to keep him around for a really long time. Seems like a lose-lose, just a matter of choosing whether they want to be set back now or set back later.

Honestly, I'd probably overpay him a little rather than risk losing him. At least with the management they have now. I don't trust Mozliek to spend the money on multiple free agents very wisely. If Jocketty were still here, I'd probably be a little more reluctant commit so much money to one guy vs getting possibly 3 high talent free agents. He deserves more money than A-Rod, but really no one needs to be making THAT much money for playing a kids game.

So... He has ALL the leverage, yet HE'D be the one to concede his preference to play the position he's worked his butt off at and turned himself into a Gold Glover? Why of course. How stupid of me not to see the logic in that. Thank you.

Take away the comment about turning himself into a Gold Glover, and you have the Adam Dunn situation all over again. Despite saying he wouldn't go to the AL because he didn't want to DH, he signed in Chicago anyways with the White Sox. Why? Because unlike Washington, they were willing to give him the 4 year contract he wanted.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived