BAFX: The Black Australian Football Xperience

Discrim

I turn 28 today and I feel a bit old when I think of a few one-hit wonder songs I used to bump to. The crap I used to do, the girls I used to chase and all. And in said ruminations, I figured this project would be a good one to pursue, so here we go. If you're wondering what's with the dumb name, I had the game BCFX (the Black College Football Xperience) on my mind, I've wanted to order it but there've been more pressing issues preventing me from doing so. First up, the Harvard of black America, Morehouse College aka The House

bafxmorehouse.png

Among Morehouse's alumni: Martin Luther King, Samuel L. Jackson and Spike Lee

next up, the only black college to ever field a varsity lacrosse team, Morgan State

bafxmorgan.png

among Morgan's alumni: Visanthe Shiancoe, Roosevelt Brown, Leroy Kelly, John "Frenchy" Fuqua

Bucco B I'm not, but I do concepts like no other. While you speak on it, here are the schools I plan to add to this thread:

Grambling

Southern

Howard

Hampton

Norfolk State

Delaware State

Jackson State

Prairie View

Savannah State

Kentucky State

Alabama A&M

Alabama State

LeMoyne-Owen

Fayetteville State

North Carolina A&T

Maryland Eastern Shore

Coppin State

Tuskegee

Wilberforce

FAMU

South Carolina State

Mississippi Valley State

Langston

Texas Southern

Talladega

Clark Atlanta

Virginia Union

Virginia State

Tennessee State

Winston-Salem State

UDC

I don't plan on doing every single black college in the country, but I do intend on most of the more prominent schools.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Slightly off-topic...one would think that Jim Brown would have raised the visibility of lacrosse among black athletes. Interesting that Morgan State is the only school you listed to have a varsity lacrosse program.

Carry on...

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I turn 28 today and I feel a bit old when I think of a few one-hit wonder songs I used to bump to. The crap I used to do, the girls I used to chase and all. And in said ruminations, I figured this project would be a good one to pursue, so here we go. If you're wondering what's with the dumb name, I had the game BCFX (the Black College Football Xperience) on my mind, I've wanted to order it but there've been more pressing issues preventing me from doing so. First up, the Harvard of black America, Morehouse College aka The House

bafxmorehouse.png

next up, the only black college to ever field a varsity lacrosse team, Morgan State

bafxmorgan.png

among Morgan's alumni: Visanthe Shiancoe, Roosevelt Brown, Leroy Kelly, John "Frenchy" Fuqua

Bucco B I'm not, but I do concepts like no other. While you speak on it, here are the schools I plan to add to this thread:

Grambling

Southern

Howard

Hampton

Norfolk State

Delaware State

Jackson State

Prairie View

Savannah State

Kentucky State

Alabama A&M

Alabama State

North Carolina A&T

Maryland Eastern Shore

Coppin State

Tuskegee

Wilberforce

FAMU

South Carolina State

Mississippi Valley State

Langston

Texas Southern

Kentucky State

Virginia Union

Virginia State

Tennessee State

I don't plan on doing every single black college in the country, but I do intend on most of the more prominent schools.

Dude, I haven't gone by that name in years...what you bring it back for? :P

That said, you did beat me to Da House...and I'm sure once Flame sees it, he'll be pretty happy to see his school get some love. Pretty interesting schematic for the tiger stripe on that away jumper, as well. Speaking of interesting schematics, no surprise seeing the MD-flag-inspired clash kit for Morgan. And why not? Hell, every other team in MD does it, why not them? Turned out pretty darn nice, as well.

Oh--and before I forget, a/ NO ONE does concepts like yours, that's confirmed; and b/ happy cake day. Eat & be merry.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

yeh, I figured why the hell not, may as well have something to shout out "ayo, we from Baltimore"

Far as the next duo, it'll probably be some combination of Southern, Delaware State and/or Hampton. Sorry to disappoint anybody expecting jaguar spots, but no, that aint happening. Southern's gonna be interesting though.

2016cubscreamsig.png

Safe to say you've piqued my interest!

(Lemme know if you wanna borrow that number set I came up with.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Love the concept. Unique to say the least and always interesting to get HBCU concepts here. Happy birthday, too.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

bafxmorehouse.png

YES. SIR. Just when I thought this college footy series couldn't get any more interesting, you pull this out on us. Wow.

The pair up now is Southern and Delaware State, which means Hampton will be in the next update, though who'll be paired with them, that's gonna be a surprise for now, aside from that it won't be Grambling or FAMU. I mean, I wanna get those two done, just not yet, cus I gotta get my mind right. I figure some folks will do these types of league-wide projects and then intentionally put out crap for their rivals, or flat out refuse to do em, I take it as a challenge though...make something good for your rival, then take your favorites and try to surpass em. And I'll be damned if Southern's set is the best I end up doing here :cursing:

Anyways, here goes Southern...

bafxsouthern.png

some notable alumni: Brewers' Rickie Weeks, American Idol's Randy Jackson, rapper David Banner, former Cardinal & Ram Aeneas Williams, StL Cardinals' Lou Brock, Steelers' Mel Blount

and then Delaware State...

bafxdelawarest.png

some notable alumni: 49ers' John Taylor, US ambassador to the Virgin Islands Clyde Bishop, XXL editor Bonsu Thompson, Wizards PA announcer Ralph Wesley, jazz musician Clifford Brown

edit: crap, seems I forgot to make the collar and cuffs on Del State's clash red, I'll fix that later today.

2016cubscreamsig.png

The schools in this entry aren't that far apart physically, but couldn't be further apart as far as notoriety goes. The first crew is pretty well known, the second school, not so much.

Hampton University, to start off.

bafxhampton.png

some notable alums: educator & Tuskegee Institute founder Booker T. Washington, comedian Wanda Sykes, Alberta Williams King (mother of Martin Luther King), track athlete James Carter, former Detroit Piston Rick Mahorn

now then, the University of the District of Columbia, or UDC for short.

bafxudc.png

a bit of info: is Washington DC's only public university...UDC was the result of a 1955 merger of Miner Teachers College, a black school, with Wilson Teachers College, a white school (hence its HBCU status)

2016cubscreamsig.png

alright, here goes the next chapter in BAFX...first up, Kentucky State...ridin my horse, when you see me you know everything's green and yellow, green and yellow, green and yellow, green and yellow...

bafxkentuckyst.png

yes, all three jumpers are based on various jockey silk designs. The away was gonna be green poca dots on yellow, but I figured it'd be too much. anyways, the fun facts of KSU:

founded in 1886, desegregated in 1954...notable alumni include former Packer Cletidus Hunt, Luska Twyman (1st black mayor of a Kentucky city), civil rights leader Whitney Young (after whom one of my cousins' alma maters is named), retired NFL/CFL player Rod Hill, former Laker Elmore Smith, Anthany Beatty, Sr. (former chief of police in Lexington, KY)

and now, Jackson State

bafxjacksonst.png

yeah, I know this one's a bit of a snoozefest compared to the rest, but it was either this or a Geelong ripoff. I'll let you guess why the three stripes are prevalent, and it aint adidas.

fun facts: founded in 1877...JSU football has won 16 SWAC titles...notable alumni include Jackson Advocate founder Percy Greene, gospel singer Willie Norwood, former Red Sox pitcher Oil Can Boyd, former Rams lineman Jackie Slater, former Oilers linebacker Robert Brazile, retired point guard Lindsey Hunter, Bears icon Walter Payton

2016cubscreamsig.png

alright, here goes the next chapter in BAFX...first up, Kentucky State...ridin my horse, when you see me you know everything's green and yellow, green and yellow, green and yellow, green and yellow...

bafxkentuckyst.png

This is my favorite in the set so far. Love the jockey-inspired looks that you've got going on. Great work.

yeah, I figure I'll be borrowing elements from various teams and people. Some of em, like UDC's Bullets-looking third, will be inspired by the area. Others, they'll be inspired by certain alums (and I'll warn ya right now, the Globetrotters will inspire one of the upcoming jumpers. Mr. T may or may not inspire something else entirely.)

2016cubscreamsig.png

• 3 weeks later...

alright, it's been a little while, and it's about time I restart the engine...BAFX marches on with Prairie View A&M

bafxprairieview.png

Front lettering that's not in the form of a monogram of some sort is uncommon in Aussie rules, but I figured it'd work here. I also figured the Rey Mysterio looking panther was the best of a slim selection (as in it was the only PV logo I didn't find intensely ugly), though the clash was originally gonna be gold/white halves, rather than stripes. Figured for the coup de grace, I'd give the third a vintage look.

PVAMU fun facts: PV football lost 80 straight games from 1989-98...former Houston Comets star Cynthia Cooper currently coaches PV women's basketball...longtime track coach Barbara Jacket was the coach of the 1992 US Olympic track & field team...notable alumni include Mr. T, former Chiefs star Otis Taylor, former Oilers safety Ken Houston, rapper Dorrough, DJ Premier (Gang Starr), United Negro College Fund founder Frederick D. Patterson, singer Terry Ellis

And now, Virginia Union Winston Salem State

bafxwssu.png

Confession time: when I started on this one, I'd mistakenly thought I was working on Virginia Union, thus the Pistons-inspired striping. Eh well, I felt it worked well, so I kept it the way it was.

notable alumni: Louis Farrakhan (Nation of Islam founder), Earl "The Pearl" Monroe (Knicks legend), Yancey Thigpen (Wisconsin's favorite Steeler), Oronde Gadsden (Dolphins cult hero), Stephen A. Smith (no, some other Stephen A. Smith...of course that Stephen A. Smith)

2016cubscreamsig.png

• 2 weeks later...

Heh, I got a doozy for Alabama State...but just for not leaving any comments lately, I'm makin yall wait for it. All I'm gonna say about it for now is you're either gonna love it or hate it. Nobody's gonna be on the fence.

Now down to business...first up, Virginia Union

bafxvaunion.png

Seeing as, as mentioned before, the split V I'd intended to use for VUU was used for Winston-Salem State by mistake, I decided on a slightly different way to go about it. The vintage jumper is your basic simple V.

fun facts: the Belgium Building, built for the 1939/1940 World's Fair in New York, is located on VUU's campus. Why? Because the outbreak of WWII made returning the structure to Belgium impossible. VUU beat out the 22 other HBCUs that existed at the time for the honor...among VUU's alumni are former Virginia governor Douglas Wilder, Ben Wallace, Knicks great Charles Oakley, economist Abram Lincoln Harris, Admiral Samuel Lee Gravely, Jr., and singer Will Downing

Next up, a school I'm putting out something for for the first time, and I don't think it'll be the last...FAMU

bafxfamu.png

If FAMU is known for only one thing, it's for often having louder uniforms than the other green & orange school. I'm not feeling particularly longwinded right now though, so all I'll say is all three seemed to make sense and take a knee.

fun facts: is just south of both the Florida State Capitol building and FSU...FAMU football won the first 1-AA (now FCS) National Championship in 1978, defeating UMass...the marching band is known as the Marching 100, and the 52nd and 56th Presidential Inauguration Parades, a Bastille Day parade and a Super Bowl are among the events the band has taken part in...notable alumni include Expos & Cubs great Andre Dawson, tennis great Althea Gibson, rapper/actor Common, former Detroit mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, art collector Bernard Kinsey, former Expo Marquis Grissom, sports anchor Pam Oliver, former Cowboy Nate Newton, and former Bear Willie Gallimore

2016cubscreamsig.png

Heh, guess the FAM wasn't enough to make anybody say DAYUM...eh well, yall better comment on these four then.

First up, Fayetteville State

bafxfayettevillestate.png

I figured going simple would be a good way to go here, so the home/clash design is simply one color with a bronco silhouette on one side. The vintage set is basically ripped from the North Melbourne Kangaroos, right down to the 60s style pinstriping outside the stripes and the number plate.

fun facts: tbh, not all that much there...though former Magic PG Darrell Armstrong and pro wrestler Junkyard Dog are among FSU's alumni.

Second up, LeMoyne-Owen College

bafxlemoyneowen.png

Honestly, LOC's M-star is a better logo than I thought they'd have, seeing as of the directions you can take "Magicians," most of them either seem lame or would be bad Orlando Magic ripoffs. Speaking of which, I figure the inspirations for both the home/clash and third designs should be self-evident.

fun facts: though LOC currently competes at the D2 level, the Magicians won the first Division III men's basketball national championship, defeating Glassboro State (now Rowan) in the final. LeMoyne-Owen remains the only HBCU to win a D3 national championship in any sport.

Third in the pile, Alabama A&M

bafxalabamaam.png

heh, some might call this one boring, I call it something that made a good deal of sense. I also figured I could sneak that little bit on the back there (or I might be trying to be too clever for my own good again, your mileage may vary). In as many words, this is how it is, hate it or love it.

fun facts: AAMU's choir was invited to the 2007 American Choral Music Festival in Germany, becoming the first HBCU choir to be invited...notable alumni include Steelers legend John Stallworth, Sylvester Croom Sr. (minister & father of former Mississippi State coach Sylvester Croom), Arena football great Barry Wagner, NFL player Robert Mathis, former Bills player Howard Ballard, former Mets player Cleon Jones, and singer Ruben Studdard

Finally, Alabama State

bafxalabamastate.png

Heh, if this doesn't elicit any comments, I'm gonna have to reevaluate a few things (one of which being whether to continue). Anyway, the home is black/yellow hoops, curved noticeably enough to be unorthodox. I didn't wanna ripoff my Delaware State set, so the away and clash use a tartan-like pattern that is also on the shorts. I figure this is either gonna be loved or hated.

fun facts: ASU's band, the Marching Hornets, has appeared in many a halftime show, including two Blue-Gray Games in the late 70s...ASU's jazz orchestra, the Bama State Collegians, gained national notoriety in 1934 when famed musician Erskine Hawkins took the entire group to New York as the Erskine Hawkins Orchestra, during which time the Collegians recorded a string of hits including Tuxedo Junction, which became one of the anthems of WWII in America...notable alums include comedian Rickey Smiley, loser Vikings QB Tarvaris Jackson, actress Tangi Miller, former Jaguars WR Reggie Barlow, attorney Fred Gray (represented Rosa Parks during the Montgomery Bus Boycott), jazz musician Erskine Hawkins, Oilers/Titans linebacker Eddie Robinson, Illinois politician/tumbling coach Jesse White (if you've ever heard of the Jesse White Tumblers, this is that Jesse White)

2016cubscreamsig.png

Archived