I Want To Start Making My Own Logos...

Western Michigan

I want to start making my own logos, and other graphics. I don't really know anything about making graphics, but I'd like to learn. I need help getting started.

For those of you that do make graphics and logos, could you tell me what software you use.

I have a Mac, so if you know of any programs (preferably free, or pirate-able lol) that would be good to make logos on a Mac, that would be fantastic.

Until then, I'll be using paintbrush...

Thanks

dbacksbannersigs.png

To get started, take some classes, read some books, etc. The same way you go about learning anything else. There's not really anything we can say that will give you the answers because each design brings new and different challenges that may need to treated in ways not thought of before.

Start by downloading Inkscape, it's a free vector program (if you don't know the difference between vector and raster, Google it). There are some good how to threads in the concepts forum (look for Davidson's) that can get you started.

Logos are works of art. If you don't have the talent then you aren't going to be successful. I can tinker on the piano but I don't claim to be a pianist. Design should be treated the same way.

As a professional graphic designer, I'm going to tell you something that you never thought of. Step away from the computer and forget the programs and go pick yourself up a pencil and a sketchbook. That is where you learn to make logos, not on the computer.

There is no "logo design software". In theory, one could make as good a logo in Word that one could in Illustrator.

Software programs are just tools. Anyone can use tools.

You should learn principles of design and drawing before just throwing together a logo.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

As a professional graphic designer, I'm going to tell you something that you never thought of. Step away from the computer and forget the programs and go pick yourself up a pencil and a sketchbook. That is where you learn to make logos, not on the computer.

I'll second that. Before you can start anything on a computer, you require a base knowledge of the elements and principals of visual art and basic drawing skills before you can begin thinking about designing anything using computer software.

I'll second that. Before you can start anything on a computer, you require a base knowledge of the elements and principals of visual art and basic drawing skills before you can begin thinking about designing anything using computer software.

... and that is why I don't make logos.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

... and that is why I don't make logos.

Same Here Nash, Same Here

Signature.png

TrophyCase-1.png

• 1 month later...

My dilemma is that I've been drawing logos for years now, and I'm just now entering the 21st century with Inkscape. I have tons of logos drawn up, but I want to be able to import them to Inkscape, so I can edit and color them. I've watched Gingerbreadmann's video tutorials, and they've helped me work with templates. Any tips or recommendations?

Founder and Commissioner, World Gridiron

Scan them in and draw over them in Inkscape/Illustrator. It will kill two birds with one stone: 1) You will get very comfortable with the pen tool and learn new tricks as you are doing it, 2) You have a digital copy of all of your paper work.

I don't know much with Inkscape since I use Illustrator (super awesome education discount), jpg or png at at least 150 dpi (most scanners default to 300) should do the trick.

Aha, thanks mang! I'll give that a whirl. Can you use svg's on Illustrator?

You can, but you don't need to. Illustrator is the industry standard for vector illustrations, and the native file is .ai

If you worked in Inkscape before, Illustrator can easily open .svg files, but once there, just save to .ai or .eps

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

thanks, everyone, for all the advice. i have made a few logos that i wont share because they're pretty awful compared to the work that i see on here.

and for those of you that are saying to draw or sketch it, that's a great idea. i'll definitely start doing that. i usually have a mental image that i just elaborate on.

also a great idea to scan it in... i wish i knew why my scanner didn't work...

i've been making lots of jerseys as desktop wallpapers. this morning i made a luis gonzalez 2001 one. but i don't know how to do stitching and texture so it looks really plain. and i also don't know how to make the name on back arched (i've been trying so hard to make a curve and have the text along path, but it still doesn't work. i've tried to download plug-ins, still nada. i'm using gimp and paintbrush, so it's pretty n00b material) so mine are all straight and it doesn't look quite right. but it's a start. i'm getting better. i'd say i'm much less of a n00b.

thanks again everyone.

dbacksbannersigs.png

Personally, drawing is extremely beneficial to the creativity within a logo. You can come up with some of the best designs when drawing because you control your limits. I'd draw a lot, get some good ideas down, start recreating / tracing them in whatever program you're using (I recommend Inkscape or Illustrator).

pastpresentfuture_zps8bbb3a05.png

Archived