Detroit Red Wings

Lights Out

You know what they say, "Traditionalist's can go die in a hole if they don't like it." I like them alot

Seriously?

I'm not too keen on the jerseys. I like the breakup of all the red though.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

There's no point in doing something modern, creative or unique if it doesn't make the design better or if it doesn't act as part of a cohesive whole. This is the biggest point I feel you fail to understand with many of your concepts. There's a certain harmony that needs to be achieved in uniting a logo, design element(s) and the essential information that gives a uniform its function. This doesn't achieve any sort of visual harmony.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

You know what they say, "Traditionalist's can go die in a hole if they don't like it." I like them alot

Seriously?

I'm not too keen on the jerseys. I like the breakup of all the red though.

southpark_alGore.gif

Signature.png

TrophyCase-1.png

There's no point in doing something modern, creative or unique if it doesn't make the design better or if it doesn't act as part of a cohesive whole. This is the biggest point I feel you fail to understand with many of your concepts. There's a certain harmony that needs to be achieved in uniting a logo, design element(s) and the essential information that gives a uniform its function. This doesn't achieve any sort of visual harmony.

I see your point, and if I was actually designing a new uniform for the Red Wings, I'd obsess over the tiny details that would make the design harmonious. But many of my concepts on here are spur-of-the moment ideas that I think would look cool. They're not meant to be a huge, professional undertaking. Hopefully you can understand where I'm coming from.

But since you brought it up, how do you think I could make the concept more harmonious?

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Ha ha, your traditionalist sentence made me laugh. Nothing wrong at all in posting what your imagination can create.

That said, let say I am a mid tradition mid modern type.

Your concepts are great, original, nice mix of tradition (shoulders) and modern.

I would get the logo a bit smaller, dead center. Some black minor touches would make the red one an awesome third jersey. Rock'N'Roll!

I see your point, and if I was actually designing a new uniform for the Red Wings, I'd obsess over the tiny details that would make the design harmonious. But many of my concepts on here are spur-of-the moment ideas that I think would look cool. They're not meant to be a huge, professional undertaking. Hopefully you can understand where I'm coming from.

But since you brought it up, how do you think I could make the concept more harmonious?

Well, if I were looking at it, The first thing I know is that it's hockey, so the logo plays a bigger part than in football basketball or baseball. The first thing I notice is that the logo is flat, straight up, profile-view, etc. Very standard. It's also very round and fluid, but has some angular/radial structure and some fine linework in the spokes, and some more fine linework in the wing and tire, along with some bold linework here and there. It's also solid white and solid red.

So, knowing this, I'm thinking that a combination of thick and thin white stripes would work well (because there are thick and thin strokes in the logo). Maybe Northwestern stripes (a thick white with two thin whites outside it), maybe Bills stripes (two thick whites in the center, two thin whites on the outside). Either way, I know I hate the plain thick white stripe they have on there now, so anything to jazz it up without getting too wild will work well here. Maybe alternating thick and thin down the whole sleeves?

Because the logo is standard perspective and round, I think a rounded numeral similar to what the Chicago Bears use might look nice here. If it doesn't, the standard athletic block works well with just about anything, so that's the fall back plan.

Other uniforms have much more complex color schemes and logos and require much more thinking and experimentation to achieve the balance, so this is a good example to quickly run down the process. There really are only so many places you can take a classic logo without it looking really tacky. You just have to know when you've gone too far.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Looks like it would've been the design for the, say, Traverse City Red Wings of 1995-96 in some really low developmental league. In that sense, it's a good design, but not for Detroit.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived