PURPLES BACK! Rockies wearing purple again.

ltjets21

Re: the purple...good luck getting two purple uniform pieces to match on the field. It's a hard color to work with...it can appear damn near blue under artificial light, and in direct sunlight can look almost too reddish for comfort (though I don't think the Rocks have really had that issue much, not like the Baltimore Ravens have, anyway...and their purples seem pretty close to identical to me). Between the color itself and the fabric its on, purple's a frustrating color to make match between items. (Shoot...it's about as frustrating to work with on-screen, just between a native file and and exported version of the same sometimes.)

True. I think the Rockies should wear the solid black hat with the purple jerseys to avoid that problem. Wear the purple hat with the home and road jerseys, get sets of solid purple and black batting helmets to match the caps, and eliminate both types of vests. Also, make the numbers on the home jersey purple with a black outline to match the road. That would go a long way to making their identity much better.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: the purple...good luck getting two purple uniform pieces to match on the field. It's a hard color to work with...it can appear damn near blue under artificial light, and in direct sunlight can look almost too reddish for comfort (though I don't think the Rocks have really had that issue much, not like the Baltimore Ravens have, anyway...and their purples seem pretty close to identical to me). Between the color itself and the fabric its on, purple's a frustrating color to make match between items. (Shoot...it's about as frustrating to work with on-screen, just between a native file and and exported version of the same sometimes.)

You know I love it when these types of discussions come up...!

Here's a comparison of the Rockies' Purple vs. the Ravens' Purple(s) - in print:

ColoradoRockiesPurple_9999_SOL_SRGB.png <---> BaltimoreRavensLogoPurple_9999_SOL_SRGB.png <---> BaltimoreRavensUniformPurple_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

The Rockies' Purple is the same shade as the Purple used by the Ravens for their marks, logotypes, helmet decal and printed materials. They use a darker Purple for their uniforms.

As far as fabric/textile colors go, here's the comparison (these include the Pantone Textile color descriptions):

ColoradoRockiesPurple_9999_TEX_SRGB.png <---> BaltimoreRavensPurple_9999_TEX_SRGB.png

A bit different. And isn't it ironic that the Pantone color description for the Rockies' textile Purple is "Deep Blue"?

Wearing them again tonight vs my mets, the hat purple doesn't really match the jersey. Are they coolbase?

The Rockies are a 100% COOLBASE team. More and more of them this year. And as always, the Yankees are the lone all-doubleknit squad.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

WHOA, I had no idea the Rockies & Ravens used the exact same purple.

I wonder how the rockies purple shapes up with kansas state or LA Kings's purples as well.

OK:

ColoradoRockiesPurple_9999_SOL_SRGB.png <---> LosAngelesKingsPurple_9999_SOL_SRGB.png <---> KansasStateUPurple_9999_SOL_SRGB.png <---> KansasStateUAltPurple_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

That last alternate Purple (it's 266 C for those keeping score) for Kansas State is one of the most problematic Pantone colors to display on screen. A lot of teams use it - the Utah Jazz and Toronto Raptors both used it in previous identities - but it comes off awfully light as represented in the sRGB color space. It's the first color I check whenever Pantone comes out with updated guides and RGB values.

WHOA, I had no idea the Rockies & Ravens used the exact same purple.

I wonder how the rockies purple shapes up with kansas state or LA Kings's purples as well.

OK:

ColoradoRockiesPurple_9999_SOL_SRGB.png <---> LosAngelesKingsPurple_9999_SOL_SRGB.png <---> KansasStateUPurple_9999_SOL_SRGB.png <---> KansasStateUAltPurple_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

That last alternate Purple (it's 266 C for those keeping score) for Kansas State is one of the most problematic Pantone colors to display on screen. A lot of teams use it - the Utah Jazz and Toronto Raptors both used it in previous identities - but it comes off awfully light as represented in the sRGB color space. It's the first color I check whenever Pantone comes out with updated guides and RGB values.

WOW great breakdown to compare! thanks for posting this

Mhockeyavatar-1.jpgMRink.jpgMhockeyavatarmaize-1.jpg

You know I love it when these types of discussions come up...!

Here's a comparison of the Rockies' Purple vs. the Ravens' Purple(s) - in print:

ColoradoRockiesPurple_9999_SOL_SRGB.png <---> BaltimoreRavensLogoPurple_9999_SOL_SRGB.png <---> BaltimoreRavensUniformPurple_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

The Rockies' Purple is the same shade as the Purple used by the Ravens for their marks, logotypes, helmet decal and printed materials. They use a darker Purple for their uniforms.

As far as fabric/textile colors go, here's the comparison (these include the Pantone Textile color descriptions):

ColoradoRockiesPurple_9999_TEX_SRGB.png <---> BaltimoreRavensPurple_9999_TEX_SRGB.png

A bit different. And isn't it ironic that the Pantone color description for the Rockies' textile Purple is "Deep Blue"?

Nice breakdown thanks for the clarification. What I'm a little confused is why can't they just match up the color on the fabric?

3535rx3.jpg

Archived