2011 NHL Playoffs

NEW.ERA

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think there's any correlation whatsoever between trophy-touching and winning the Stanley Cup. That some players do and some don't does not bother me in the least.

But the Prince of Wales Trophy is so beautiful and historic, it deserves some love...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Anyone care to assemble a list of who touched their trophy and who didn't?

I'd like to see that, but am far too lazy to go through pictures to put together a list.

Around what time did this tradition begin?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Henrik is going to try to lift the trophy and then fall over to draw a penalty against it.

That's good enough for me....

upotd.png

Seconded!

It's funny to be on Twitter and watch the Canucks fans complain about the refs when they are losing, then talk a great game once the score flips. Add that and the talk about the Sharks being chokers, Jumbo being a diver, and complaining about the little jab Kesler got at the end of game 4, it's hilarious. It's like some people had their sense of irony removed.

Kesler flopping on the ice after that Clowe love-tap was pretty sad. But it got worse when he called out Clowe and called for the League to take a look at the "sucker punch." Takes a lot of balls after his lumberjack routine at the end of game 3. Not his place (or his fans) to complain about someone being a poor sport after a loss. If you can't take it, don't dish it. Period.

Ryan Kesler is a hell of a hockey player, but he's got to learn if you get chippy, if you talk a big game, back it up. Don't slash a guy and skate away. If you are going to skate away, keep your mouth shut and don't get chippy. If you want to jaw at someone, get a little rough after the whistle, be prepared to have it done back to you, and don't run away when someone like Jumbo Joe challenges you to drop the gloves.

Watching the media play up Ryan Kesler as this year's Hard-Nosed Canadian Leader (he is none of those) is sort of like how I was supposed to feel happy for Rod Brind'Amour winning a Stanley Cup. It's always gotta be someone each year, I guess.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Watching the media play up Ryan Kesler as this year's Hard-Nosed Canadian Leader (he is none of those) is sort of like how I was supposed to feel happy for Rod Brind'Amour winning a Stanley Cup. It's always gotta be someone each year, I guess.

Not true... there was the strike year...

Kesler really hasn't been much of a factor this series. I haven't really seen the media saying anyone needs to feel *happy* for him this year, but he did play extremely well against Nashville.

Also, the top three playoff scorers are all minus players. Odd.

I don't think there's any correlation whatsoever between trophy-touching and winning the Stanley Cup. That some players do and some don't does not bother me in the least.

If I earn a trophy I've never gotten before, I'd pick it up. Then, once I win the highest trophy that sport has to offer, I wouldn't touch the lesser trophies, simply because they aren't as good as wining the top trophy.

Henrik is going to try to lift the trophy and then fall over to draw a penalty against it.

That's good enough for me....

upotd.png

Seconded!

It's funny to be on Twitter and watch the Canucks fans complain about the refs when they are losing, then talk a great game once the score flips. Add that and the talk about the Sharks being chokers, Jumbo being a diver, and complaining about the little jab Kesler got at the end of game 4, it's hilarious. It's like some people had their sense of irony removed.

Kesler flopping on the ice after that Clowe love-tap was pretty sad. But it got worse when he called out Clowe and called for the League to take a look at the "sucker punch." Takes a lot of balls after his lumberjack routine at the end of game 3. Not his place (or his fans) to complain about someone being a poor sport after a loss. If you can't take it, don't dish it. Period.

Ryan Kesler is a hell of a hockey player, but he's got to learn if you get chippy, if you talk a big game, back it up. Don't slash a guy and skate away. If you are going to skate away, keep your mouth shut and don't get chippy. If you want to jaw at someone, get a little rough after the whistle, be prepared to have it done back to you, and don't run away when someone like Jumbo Joe challenges you to drop the gloves.

How is turning down a fight before the puck is even dropped on a series considered running away? That could possibly decide a game, if you lost a fight decidedly on home ice, which probably would have happened if Kesler fought Thornton. Thornton even said himself if Kesler had challenged him to a fight at that point he would have even turned it down.

GCEeffm.png

I remember Dale Hunter lifting the Prince of Wales Trophy in 98 and they paraded it around the rink like it was the Cup. It may gave no correlation to winning or losing in the Cup Finals, but c'mon, these are the CAPS, they needed all the good juju they could get that year. Not that they were going to win that series anyway, Detroit was a juggernaut but still...

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

^^

The Bruins lifted the Prince of Wales trophy in 1988, and the lid fell on top of goalie Reggie Lemelin's head.

Every replay of that triumphant shot has to be frozen before it happens.

Bruins went on to lose to Edmonton, but that was gonna happen regardless of touching the trophy or not.

sig-1.png

I remember Dale Hunter lifting the Prince of Wales Trophy in 98 and they paraded it around the rink like it was the Cup. It may gave no correlation to winning or losing in the Cup Finals, but c'mon, these are the CAPS, they needed all the good juju they could get that year. Not that they were going to win that series anyway, Detroit was a juggernaut but still...

I believe that was where it got started. I remember Don Cherry commenting on the difference in reactions of Washington and Detroit. He suggested that Washington, based on their trophy party, was just happy to be in the Stanley Cup while Detroit's Steve Yzerman just grabbed Campbell Bowl went to the dressing room, acting like they hadn't won anything. The superstition morphed from there.

There is something similar with the Grey Cup in the CFL. Back in the '86 Grey Cup game the heavily favoured Edmonton Eskimos came out during the player introductions jumping around and acting excited, while the Hamilton Tiger-Cats came out like it was just any other game. The Eskimos were favoured by 20 points going into the game, Hamilton won by 24 (and that score flattered the Eskimos). It morphed to the point that at the Grey Cup, players would saunter out so casually during the player introductions, it was like they didn't even want to be there. It has moderated a bit in the last few years...

tigercatssignature-1.png

Archived