ESPN.com: "Feds to NCAA: Why no playoffs?"

Lights Out

Me to Feds: Why you care?

A lot of people wonder why the government should care. Well there are millions invested in these bowl games. Some schools are getting cheated out of millions just because they don't get enough "votes" to play in a BCS game.

If a company were cheating it's employees out of millions of dollars do you think the feds would get involved?? most likely. Remember Enron? whether people want to admit it or not, sports is a business. Although college players don't get paid, they get education and programs get money.

Money.

As a non-profit that brings in a crap load of money, the government is naturally going to be watchful of them.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Is it the most important issue for the federal government? No.

At the same time though, I'd argue pro and college sports needs regulation from the government perhaps more then any other major industy, mainly because the uniqueness of the operation makes it virtually impossible to apply normal business laws to it in many ways. Anti-trust is the biggest example of this. Making a schedulue tecnically violates anit-trust law, but teams need to do it in order to operate. So every league needs an exemption from anti-trust law to at least some extent. To what extent that goes though is basically what every issue around sports law ultimately revolves around.

You'd like for the federal government to never have any say at all, but there are certain issues with sports that can only be resolved by them. You look at any major change in how business was conducted in sports and you'll find in almost every case it stemmed from a court ruling.

The Justice Department also employs over 100,000 people so for them to throw a few people onto the case I don't think its going to be a huge hinderence on them taking on bigger cases.

They also just sent them a letter. No formal investigation has begun although it wound't shock me if one followed shortly.

I'd rather ask questions like why is the University of Alabama how paying Nick Saban an NFL level salary when they only pull in 1/4 of the revenue that an NFL does benefits the higher learning aspects of the University, but I know that's not going to happen, or at least not yet. (I definately feel the wheels are turning on that though, but it will be a few years before any real developments happen) The BCS issue though I think can be dealt now, and yes I think I should be done away with. I feel its exclusionary in its nature, and from what I can tell its set up solely to benefit teams in the elite conferences. The NCAA isn't going to do it, and if it goes beyond the the degree to which the anti-trust exemption is allowed, then I feel the Feds have a point, and I don't think it would be a complete waste of time or money to pursue.

Because the Fiesta Bowl scandal is kind of ridiculous.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Because, if found to be a trust, the BCS compounded with the existing Fiesta Bowl scandal would be a nightmare for public universities and perhaps even local and state governments (if more arrangements like the Fiesta Bowl are found in the bowl system).

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Pretty much lol but I wasnt asking anyone here, I was asking the feds! :P I really dont care considering I dont care for college football, so it doesnt matter to me one way or the other.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

In reality, the only way I think a playoff would work would be a 16-team, every conference gets a berth, playoff from the equal opportunity camp. Otherwise, there'd still be the same exact issues as with the current system. 16 teams, all 11 conference champions involved, payouts for games played like in basketball. Bam.

6fQjS3M.png

It's not about money. If it were, they would have gone to some version of a playoff format long ago.

It's all about power, and the school presidents and conference commissioners aren't going to give up any power. If the BCS is forced to shut down, the school presidents have no problem going back to the old system of bowls having conference tie-ins.

Somehow I doubt that, considering most of the same college presidents were in favor of the BCS because the previous system was so broken.

...because they had the powers to create the BCS. Wasn't about money...it was all about having the power to create a de facto NCG without outside interference.

The Boal Coalition wasn't so much broken as it was taken away, due to the Southwest Conference dissolving and Notre Dame having a drop-off from where they were. Not to mention that the Rose Bowl, Big Ten, and Pac-10 didn't want to participate.

The presidents and commissioners don't want to give up the powers they have. They'll be just as happy with a "Gentleman's Agreement", Boal Coalition-esque postseason format, or just not give much a damn about crowning a singular national champion and stick with all the current boal agreements....both of which would never let Boise State and the other Sisters-of-the-Poor schools play in the better bowl games or be within sniffing distance of a national championship.

Somehow I doubt that, considering most of the same college presidents were in favor of the BCS because the previous system was so broken.

It still is about having money. Colleges aren't interested in the system that makes the most money. They are interested in the system that allows them to make more money then anyone else, meaning that they'll accept a system that gives them 5 dollars and you 3 over a system that gives them 6 and you 5.

Archived