The USFL with Davidson's revo template

DAHOF

I hate to always be this guy, but the helmet logos are all crooked. When the helmet is on a player's head, the logo should be straight up and down. A good way to line this up: the horizontal bars on the facemask are just that: horizontal. For example, the top of the "Blitz" logo should be parallel with the horizontal bars on the facemask.

Seriously, thanks for pointing that out. On many of them, I have tried to get the logo at the correct angle. I thought I had it right with most of them, but the Blitz one was clearly not right.

Is this better?

USFL_Chicago%20Blitz_revo_v21.png

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The UFL is around although they don't have very good t.v. exposure.

Would be very nice to have a USFL around again. What with the Strike and the very unwatchable product the NFL provides us now that has to be covered up with glitz and gloss. bleh!

Some great looking helmets there too. Looking forward to seeing rest of the teams.

Would be very nice to have a USFL around again. What with the Strike and the very unwatchable product the NFL provides us now that has to be covered up with glitz and gloss. bleh!

Some great looking helmets there too. Looking forward to seeing rest of the teams.

I don't know why we're comparing the USFL and UFL. The USFL was clearly better than the UFL is ever going to be. Very few people want to watch a bunch of players who weren't quite good enough to make it as a back up in the NFL play football.

At least the USFL separated itself from the NFL by having its season in the spring. You'd have to be living in Omaha to care about the United football league, as long as its season is at the same time as the NFL's.

2043050vl19qK6.gif

I don't know why we're comparing the USFL and UFL. The USFL was clearly better than the UFL is ever going to be. Very few people want to watch a bunch of players who weren't quite good enough to make it as a back up in the NFL play football. At least the USFL separated itself from the NFL by having its season in the spring. You'd have to be living in Omaha to care about the United football league, as long as its season is at the same time as the NFL's.

That's what many said in 1960. B)

23306_01_lg.jpg

Yeah, the UFL's not the AFL, but just sayin'...

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

First off, my favorite USFL team, the MICHIGAN PANTHERS:

USFL_Michigan%20Panthers_revo_v2.png

I really like this one, but is the Panther supposed to look mechanical ?

I get that from all the squares and stripes.

I think Chicago had a tiny "the" above "Blitz" if memory serves. Really great work. My only qualm is the revo template. They didn't use it and I hate it with a passion.

Thanks, good catch. I just looked at an old USFL game and I think you are right about the "the"

The quality of the video isn't very good, but I am almost sure it is there.

About the REVO helmet design. When teams first started using them years ago, I thought they looked terrible.

It has grown on me, especially as a parent who had a kid play Texas 5A varsity football. It is a great helmet, so much better than the older designs.

I really like this one, but is the Panther supposed to look mechanical ?

I get that from all the squares and stripes.

I spent a lot of time on this helmet. I can tell you with almost absolute certainty, this is correct.

here is a set of Michigan Panthers helmet decals for sale on ebay:

258t4is.png

If it wasn't for the absolutely ridiculous logo of the San Antonio Gunslingers, the Pittsburgh Maulers would win my prize for worst USFL logo.

The Maulers made a big splash in the league by signing Heisman Trophy winner Mike Rozier out of Nebraska, but they finished 3-15 and folded after one season.

The original helmet did not have the metallic looking finish, it was more of a dark flat purple.

USFL_Pittsburgh%20Maulers_revo_v2.png

The Oakland Invaders (rhymes with Raiders) tried to take the place of the departed (to LA) silver and black NFL team.

During the last season of the USFL (1985) the franchise was combined with the talented Michigan Panthers and went to the championship game.

This is another helmet that had a flatter color, not quite the bright yellow shown here.

USFL_Oakland%20Invaders_revo_v2.png

Yeah and they are playing in the wrong season as well. You just can't compete with the NFL and College Ball.

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

I think Chicago had a tiny "the" above "Blitz" if memory serves. Really great work. My only qualm is the revo template. They didn't use it and I hate it with a passion.

Thanks, good catch. I just looked at an old USFL game and I think you are right about the "the"

The quality of the video isn't very good, but I am almost sure it is there.

About the REVO helmet design. When teams first started using them years ago, I thought they looked terrible.

It has grown on me, especially as a parent who had a kid play Texas 5A varsity football. It is a great helmet, so much better than the older designs.

In 1983: said "The Blitz" on the helmet, with a blue facemask

1984: Blitz with red facemask and overhauled uniforms

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

The Oakland Invaders (rhymes with Raiders) tried to take the place of the departed (to LA) silver and black NFL team.

During the last season of the USFL (1985) the franchise was combined with the talented Michigan Panthers and went to the championship game.

This is another helmet that had a flatter color, not quite the bright yellow shown here.

USFL_Oakland%20Invaders_revo_v2.png

You missed the color (yellow) totally on this one.

pg2_usfl_300.jpg

201222154_0f633bbfdb_o.png

One of the best run franchises in the league was the Tampa Bay Bandits, coached by Steve Spurrier.

If you watched the recent ESPN 30 on 30 documentary on the USFL, the Bandits owner John Bassett was a portrayed as the true leader of the league owners.

USFL_Tampa%20Bandits_revo_v2.png

After the first USFL season (1983) the Chicago Blitz swapped rosters with the Arizona Wranglers and made it to the 2nd Championship game.

USFL_Arizona%20Wranglers_revo_v2.png

That helmet should be copper ... and there was no stripe down the middle.

After the first USFL season (1983) the Chicago Blitz swapped rosters with the Arizona Wranglers and made it to the 2nd Championship game.

USFL_Arizona%20Wranglers_revo_v2.png

That helmet should be copper ... and there was no stripe down the middle.

Plus, the logo needs a little work. There should be more white where the yellow is and the banding used should really be gradients.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

One of the best run franchises in the league was the Tampa Bay Bandits, coached by Steve Spurrier.

If you watched the recent ESPN 30 on 30 documentary on the USFL, the Bandits owner John Bassett was a portrayed as the true leader of the league owners.

USFL_Tampa%20Bandits_revo_v2.png

The logo should have the bandana mask in red.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Archived