2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the real question should be, how many LSU players get into trouble during the bye week?

The answer to that question is irrelevant because we all know that they'll have some loophole that allows them to play against Alabama even if there are arrests etc.

"Process of appeals": business as usual in the SEC.

In other news, Kellen Moore tied Colt McCoy as the winningest quarterback in FBS history today.

McCoy doing it in the Big XII is far more impressive than Moore doing it in the WAC (and Mtn. West for a year)

Moore doing it with WAC talent at Boise State is far more impressive than McCoy doing it surrounded with blue-chip players and All-Americans at Texas.

In other news, Kellen Moore tied Colt McCoy as the winningest quarterback in FBS history today.

McCoy doing it in the Big XII is far more impressive than Moore doing it in the WAC (and Mtn. West for a year)

Moore doing it with WAC talent at Boise State is far more impressive than McCoy doing it surrounded with blue-chip players and All-Americans at Texas.

McCoy doing it against blue-chipers and All-Americans in the Big XII is far more impressive than Moore doing it against WAC talent

McCoy doing it against blue-chipers and All-Americans in the Big XII is far more impressive than Moore doing it against WAC talent

Look at Texas's non-conference schedule every year McCoy played and tell me every game was against that level of talent. The Big XII was never like the SEC; you had four teams that were high-level teams (Texas, A&M, OU, Nebraska) and the rest were just kinda sorta alright. But I am certainly not impressed any more by Texas beating up on the Iowa States and the Baylors of the world than I am by Boise State playing good teams outside of conference (Oregon, Georgia, Virginia Tech, etc).

A "major" conference where two, maybe three teams in that conference are good by anyone's standard. The level of talent around McCoy offsets the level of talent around those other middling programs.

Are you really trying to say the teams in the WAC are more talented than the teams in the Big XII?

Gee, I guess you're right. And when Vanderbilt plays against Clemson, Vandy will win because the SEC has more talented teams than the ACC.

I'd rather not derail this thread with this circuitous argument further, so I'll just point out that in his career to date, Moore has beaten the PAC champion Oregon (twice), the MWC champion TCU, the ACC champion VT, the MWC runner-up Utah, the WAC co-champion Hawai'i, and could end up this year with wins over the MAC champion (Toledo), the WAC champion (Fresno State or Nevada), and perhaps even the SEC champion (Georgia, if they win the East and the title game).... all while winning whatever conference he plays in. You'd be hard-pressed to find someone else who can pull a run like that off in their career.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Alright, then. Since you seem to be hopelessly in love with your Big XII, I'll leave you to fawn over Colt McCoy's glorious wins over the likes of Florida Atlantic, Rice, UTEP and Arkansas State.

And that loss to 5-7 Kansas State in 2007.

Who is this Scott Wolf guy, and why does he have such a thing with voting Boise State number 1?

Because he honestly believes Boise State is the best team in the country?

Again, speaking as someone who identifies himself more as a college hoops fan, but the whole thing with rankings in college football is pretty pointless when you have multiple unbeaten teams, and the only way to separate them is based on hypothetical situations or the quality of competition. That's why I've never taken rankings seriously until the second week of November.

Archived