Norwich City FC crest design

-kj

First things first: This is not an entirely finished product; there are still some parts about which I'm not sure. So, I am definitely asking for constructive advice on this.

As some may know, I'm a fan of Norwich City FC of the EPL (we're back!). Over the years that I've been a fan, I've looked at the club's crest, and I've always found it a bit lacking. It's a good concept, but the execution has always seemed off. So this weekend, rather than do something productive, I decided to flex my moderate design skills and give it a crack. Here's what I have so far; I've included the current crest and the Norwich city coat of arms, which the current crest borrows from:

ncfc1.png

I feel pretty good about the overall concept. The one thing that's bothering me is the lion in the upper left. At this point, I've pulled it directly from the city coat of arms; obviously, that's much too detailed to fit in with the rest of the crest, but I don't really know what the right way to fix that would be. I've considered leaving the lion out entirely, but it seems like it's such a big part of the current crest that it needs to stay.

Any thoughts on this?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since the lion from the city crest is cleaner than the lion on the present badge it's an immediate improvement. But I think the canary needs to be sitting still or flying toward the front of the crest to differentiate it a little more

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

It looks great. The bird in particular looks outstanding. I think the crest needs a thin black outline around everything to make it pop more. Despite yellow and green being great colours together to me they look like they're washing each other out. I think a black outline would fix that. A white outline could work too.

You should feel good about it, KJ... it's better than what they have currently.

The lion is kind of off though. The first impression I got was that he's waving to the viewer, as if to say, "How ya doin'?" :D

He's not saying how ya doin...hes sayin, "Hey look at us we're back and Delia will make sure we aren't your doormat this time"....ok maybe he isn't sayin that much...I do like the crest though, it is a big improvement

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

After reading the above and getting some off-board advice, I've gone for round two. I've cleaned up the lion and adjusted the tail and wing of the bird. I also changed the shades of yellow and green to be more contrasting; I considered adding black, as a couple of people had suggested, but one of my prime objectives in this redesign was to eliminate the black, as I found it weak and out of context in the original.

Anyway, here's my second take:

ncfc2.png

Thoughts?

POTD 2013-08-22

I think it looks really good, but the ball is bothering me. It looks like a volleybsll or a water polo ball.

Really? Do I have to do this again?

Anyways really nice job modernizing Norwich. The subtraction of black is great, really crisps up the logo (is that a term?).

I think it looks really good, but the ball is bothering me. It looks like a volleybsll or a water polo ball.

As has been mentioned every time this comes up, it's more of an old-school ball; see the Man U or Barca crests for examples.

600px-Fussball_1936.jpg

POTD 2013-08-22

looks good. the only comment that i would have is regarding the outline. right now it looks like you just added a stroke to the bird. I would hand draw the outline. it would look much better, and would have sharper edges that what you have now. It is a small thing that i think would have a big impact.

Picture21.png

Thank you all for the feedback you've given so far; it's given me great direction on this.

I return with another version. I took Vicious's advice about reworking the outline on the bird/ball outside of the crest, and I think that was the way to go. It's tedious, but often worth it.

I had a bit of an argument with one of the more experienced members around here about the colors; he's convinced that the orange shouldn't be in it at all, and I'm not so sure about that. So, I have a comparison with the orange I was previously using, a more pale orange, and with the orange parts colored yellow. In any case, I have to concede that he was right about adding outlining around the legs and beak.

ncfc3-comp.png

The version without any orange seems very lifeless and flat to me, as compared to the others. I'm not sure which orange I prefer, however.

What do you think?

POTD 2013-08-22

As has been mentioned every time this comes up, it's more of an old-school ball; see the Man U or Barca crests for examples.

600px-Fussball_1936.jpg

Sorry. I read through the whole thread and didn't think I had seen it explained anywhere. Now that I have seen it and heard it explained, it makes sense. Like I said before, it is a solid design.

gyoung8.png

Sorry. I read through the whole thread and didn't think I had seen it explained anywhere. Now that I have seen it and heard it explained, it makes sense. Like I said before, it is a solid design.

No worries; it's just one of those things that comes up quite often on the boards.

I did some work on a wordmark to complement the crest and separate bird/ball, but am waiting to get a feel for the color combination before showing it.

POTD 2013-08-22

Nudging this northward again with what I think may be the final version. After some off-board discussions, the crest shape and outlining has been changed a bit. There's also a new yellow color, and the orange is gone completely. The tail of the bird has also been tweaked a bit.

ncfc6.png

Big thanks to everyone who's posted in this thread as well as Avenger, gordie_delini, Shmee, and Leopard88 who've given advice elsewhere.

Oh, and comments are still very welcome.

POTD 2013-08-22

I recently saw another redesign of a Norwich logo posted here http://www.designfootball.com/design-galleries/football-crests/new-norwich-city-crest-5985/ at first I thought this was an incredible upgrade, but upon seeing this from you, I really think the club should consider adopting something like this, even classier with the writing beneath it.

That other design got the founding date wrong. :lol: (It's 1902.) It's an interesting design, but it's a huge departure. My intent when starting this project was to keep the same basic ideas as the current crest while making it clean and modern. I like to think I captured that, but the verdict always lies in other people's eyes.

Thank you for the compliments.

POTD 2013-08-22

Nudging this northward again with what I think may be the final version. After some off-board discussions, the crest shape and outlining has been changed a bit. There's also a new yellow color, and the orange is gone completely. The tail of the bird has also been tweaked a bit.

ncfc6.png

Big thanks to everyone who's posted in this thread as well as Avenger, gordie_delini, Shmee, and Leopard88 who've given advice elsewhere.

Oh, and comments are still very welcome.

Absolutely outstanding redesign. I personally liked the inclusion of the orange in the crest, but it still works great without it.

My biggest problem with the design was the inexplicable white box in place of the entryway for the castle. You've not only filled that in but also widened it. Nice job. Also I really like the addition of the yellow border that connects to the castle at the top. It makes it all look a lot more cohesive.

This looks like it's a final version. Ncely done.

gYH2mW9.png

Archived