BASEBALL ALL-TIME DRAFT: Discussion Thread (PLEASE LOCK)

Dexter Morgan

Following the conclusion of the add/drop period I'll offer to give anyone the sheet I used for my rankings.

It doesen't have relief pitchers properly ranked (Hoyt Wilhelm for instance is 263 for pitchers) and I will be revaluating relief pitchers once the draft concludes and may in fact revaluate pitchers altogether.

However hitters I felt were properly ranked and I used the same system across the board for everyone which was to compare them against their era. The best years I had ranked for each position were the following.

C-Johnny Bench 1972. Earned 23.92 points under my system

1B-Lou Gehrig 1927. Earned 29.01 points.

2B-Napolean Lajoie 1901. Earned 32.56 points.

3B-Al Rosen 1953. Earned 26.05 points.

SS-Honus Wagner 1908. Earned 27.19 points.

OF-Babe Ruth 1921. Earned 44.08 points.

OF-Babe Ruth 1923. Earned 42.08 points.

OF-Barry Bonds 2004. Earned 39.09 points

DH-Frank Thomas 2000. Earned 17.00 points.

RHP-Greg Maddux 1994. Earned 41.18 points.

LHP-Sandy Koufax 1965. Earned 38.09 points.

How I came up with these numbers I will not divulge nor will the numbers be included however you will get the entire rankings as I had them. 10701 players were rated. All players must have played from 1901 on and I only took into account players in MLB or the Federal League. #1 was Babe Ruth with 429.95 pionts, #10701 was Jesus Pena with a microscopic 0.000000047 points. There might be some duplicate players (I came across one where I had Paul Konerko rated twice) and would appreciate it if you would inform me where this occurs.

This took me six months to complete and is the third version of what I orginally had. So about a two year process in all.

PM me if interested. I also have done one for basketball and am currently working on one for hockey although it will be at least three months before it is complete. (It takes me over 1 hour to do a single year. I'm up to 2001 but I start with last year and work my way back, so it will be awhile.)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With my final pick, I had to do it, Dex. Had to go with the Ranger. Although, looking at my backups in particular, it makes sense with my team's strategy of largely going defensive replacements. Especially for a weaker defender like Posada, having one of the absolute best defensive catchers of all time behind him helps.

I'm going to be in and out today, so I'm not sure if I'll be avaliable when my turn is up. Bruschi does have my list, so give me, say, half an hour, and if I don't come around by then bruschi can go ahead and pick for me.

I can't believe this draft is coming to a close! It's been really great guys, thanks alot! I'm glad I got to be a part of it all.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Final Roster.

starsqx.jpg

The Detroit Stars Roster

Lineup:

1st- #1 Sam Crawford CF

2nd- #2 Charlie Gehringer 2B

3rd- #26 Wade Boggs 3B

4th- #6 Stan Musial LF

5th- #27 George Sisler 1B

6th- #33 Honus Wagner SS

7th- #11 Paul Waner RF

8th- #3 Harold Baines DH

9th- #25 Mickey Cochrane C

Bench:

C- #21 Bill Freehan

1B/3B- #24 Tony Perez

SS/2B- #29 Billy Herman

OF- #30 Magglio Ordonez

CF- #22 Wally Berger

Rotation:

SP- #36 Gaylord Perry

SP- #32 Ed Walsh

SP- #16 Hal Newhouser

SP- #47 Jack Morris

SP- #40 Frank Tanana

SP- #31 Tim Keefe

Bullpen:

RP- #20 Mark Fidrych

RP- #40 Bobby Jenks

RP- #46 Jose Valverde

RP- #28 Randy Myers

CL- #13 Billy Wagner

Managers:

Manager- #11 Sparky Anderson

General Manager- Dave Dombrowski

Stadium- Tiger Stadium

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

Wait, I think Tank has two middle infielders (Reyes and Rizzuto). Does that mean I could go ahead and pick one without effecting the draft?

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Ok.

I went through and kind of figured out which teams were in order, and which teams were not. You can see my placings here, on "Sheet 4".

Salisbury Steaks: One too many OF, one too few RP.

Milwaukee Baseball: One too many SP, one too few RP.

Albuquerque Dukes: Two too many corner outfielders, one too few CF, one too few SP/RP (Long Reliever).

Newark Eagles: One too many 1B/3B, one too few 2B/SS (Although if you are planning on DHing Baker or Allen, and moving Collins or Fox to the bench, you're fine... you just hadn't on your most updated roster)

Pittsburgh Crawdads: One too many OF, one too few C.

Detroit Stars: One too many SP, one too many RP, one too few C, one too few CF. Your initial lineup on the rosters page was also flawed, as Crawford does not qualify as a CF. He was a RF.

New York Mets: One too many OF, two too many 1B/3B, one too few CF, one too few RP, one too few SP/RP.

Los Angeles Dodgers: One too many 1B/3B, one too few CF.

Newark Eagles: One too many 1B/3B, one too few 2B/SS (Although if you are planning on DHing Baker or Allen, and moving Collins or Fox to the bench,

Been updating my roster the whole time if you go to the first page of the roster thread.

Allen is the DH. Home Run Baker and Nellie Fox are on the bench.

As it stands now I will not be adding or dropping any player unless someone drops somebody I like which I doubt will happen.

Detroit Stars: One too many SP, one too many RP, one too few C, one too few CF. Your initial lineup on the rosters page was also flawed, as Crawford does not qualify as a CF. He was a RF.

One pitcher in the pen was allowed to be SP, I have 2 catchers, Sam Crawford played 278 games at CF.

Ok.

I went through and kind of figured out which teams were in order, and which teams were not. You can see my placings here, on "Sheet 4".

Salisbury Steaks: One too many OF, one too few RP.

Milwaukee Baseball: One too many SP, one too few RP.

Albuquerque Dukes: Two too many corner outfielders, one too few CF, one too few SP/RP (Long Reliever).

Newark Eagles: One too many 1B/3B, one too few 2B/SS (Although if you are planning on DHing Baker or Allen, and moving Collins or Fox to the bench, you're fine... you just hadn't on your most updated roster)

Pittsburgh Crawdads: One too many OF, one too few C.

New York Mets: One too many OF, two too many 1B/3B, one too few CF, one too few RP, one too few SP/RP.

Los Angeles Dodgers: One too many 1B/3B, one too few CF.

'

On my team, you got to switch Robinson Cano to Bobby Doerr. Doerr is the starter, with Cano on the bench.

One pitcher in the pen was allowed to be SP, I have 2 catchers, Sam Crawford played 278 games at CF.

Your long reliever is the one that is allowed to be a starter. That means 7 in total. You picked 8.

278 games isn't enough to qualify for a position (it's in the 600 range - 4 uninterrupted seasons), and you only have Cochrane at catcher.

Your long reliever is the one that is allowed to be a starter. That means 7 in total. You picked 8.

278 games isn't enough to qualify for a position (it's in the 600 range - 4 uninterrupted seasons), and you only have Cochrane at catcher.

Ok, I'll fix CF. Also, my roster above has Cochrane and Freehan as catchers. I only have 7 SP, Perry, Walsh, Newhouser, Morris, Tanana, Keefe and Fidrych. 4 relief, Jenks, Valverde, Myers, Wagner.

I'm going to drop Robinson Cano and replace him. I did a pretty bad job doing my research on third basemen. I found a few guys I like. I'm going to move A-Rod back to SS, where is more valuable, and put Joe Sewell on the bench, and start one of these 3rd basemen.

Why should I have 6 starting pitchers because there's a plethora of starters in the draft? That could be said at each and every position. I would give people permission to drop one of the starters for a backup. And the CF and SS positions, I have guys who have played in the majors in those positions. Both Joe Medwick and Vince Coleman have played games in CF, so I have backups there. Matt Williams came up as a SS, so he's fully capable of playing there. I made a 25 man roster. I'm not trying to be defiant, but I have logical reasons for doing what I did. You can't argue against me not having those positions when I found players who have played in the positions. Are they known for those positions? No, but they would be there on an add needed basis and not as starters. If I need an extra starter, I can just move Honeycutt into the 5th role or just *gasp* go to a four man rotation.

I say Lights Out should drop Craig Counsell and take another MI unless he really wants Craig Counsell.

I'll say that if all he wants are modern guys its really going to limit the options he can go with at that position. No question about it that he's better off going for a SS as well over a 2B.

Archived