BASEBALL ALL-TIME DRAFT: Discussion Thread (PLEASE LOCK)

Dexter Morgan

I'm not seven. I saw both Lofton and Butler played.

I don't base my arguments on my own emotional feelings. That's the whole idea behind sabermetrics. When it comes to feelings people are lawlers not scientists. We get an idea in our head we accept all the data that supports it and reject everything that doesen't. Very hard to overcome it and we are all guilty of that.

Side note: Saying Butler wasn't "popular" isn't entirely correct. When Butler was with the Braves and "SuperStation" WTBS was showing all of their games, Butler was one of the most popular players on the team; especially so with the ladies. There was a time when Butler was a very "popular" player.

Yeah I've heard stories about that. Had he stayed longer in Atlanta he would probably would have been better but he bounced around way too much to ever really get settled. Lofton bounced around too but he's best days clearly were in Cleveland. Butler never really had golden years with any one team. He played mostly for the Dodgers and did well but he also played some of those years towards the end of his career.

But compairing the two popularity wise isn't even close. Very people now I think know much about Brett Butler. People know who Kenny Lofton is and I would expect people to know that as well. Butler only played for three teams that reached the playoffs. Lofton played for 11 teams that reached the playoffs meaning he is in the postseason more times then not. Guys who play for good teams get more exposure then guys that don't. That's just a fact.

I also understand what your saying about a quiet 2 for 4 versus a better one but you don't think Brett Butler would have had more home runs had he been born ten years later? His two career high for home runs 9 in '87 and 8 in '94 are also monster years for home runs. I don't think that's a coincidence either.

I get what your saying. I'm not a traditional sabermetrics guy though, because most people I believe don't fully understand what Billy Beane is talking about and I get into arguments all the time with people that do sabermetrics. I think most people just dial in on offense and don't care about anything else. I've revise what I do all the time. The thing I'm using to rank players is like my fifth revision and I'm going to do another one afterwards because I feel like I screwed up relief pitchers. I feel like I'm smart enough to know usually where I screw up. You need to have some feel to guide you along. Numbers alone aren't enough, I'll even say that. But they are the best way I've come across of rating players.

At this point though I'm done splitting hairs and just want to move on. You have your view, I have mine. Let's just leave it at that. I'm not getting into a your stupid because of this argument.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We lost Lights Out and Infared. Both suspended for 30 days.

Who did they bait? I say put out signups and if no one responds, have somebody pick for them

Signature.png

TrophyCase-1.png

Did knnhrvy send picks to anyone for today? There are still 2 picks on his list from yesterday that weren't taken... if he doesn't make a pick in the next hour and a half or so I'll make these for him, so he won't really be skipped, but if it turns out that with the current makeup of his team he didn't want them, he can change them later.

Lights Out and Infared both were always quick with their picks and contributed greatly to this draft. We are in the last few rounds I am sure we can find a way to accomidate them.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Lights Out and Infared both were always quick with their picks and contributed greatly to this draft. We are in the last few rounds I am sure we can find a way to accomidate them.

I would offer to draft for them and would give them legit people.

I agree that they did a very good job with the draft and making picks on time.

I don't think anyone here talks to them off the boards, though. You'd need to be Facebook friends or twitter followers or something to get the pick.

We can't just shut it down for 30 days for the last 4 rounds.

Well someone with AIM could contact Infrared

Signature.png

TrophyCase-1.png

Three got suspended yesterday and our favorite Arizona guy (Kevin W) got suspended on Saturday. I'll argue something, but there comes a point in time when I just walk away from a conversation/thread. When I start to get riled up, usually I'll just walk away. But as far as lightsout and 'red, they did well in this draft and I have great respect for them.

Three got suspended yesterday and our favorite Arizona guy (Kevin W) got suspended on Saturday. I'll argue something, but there comes a point in time when I just walk away from a conversation/thread. When I start to get riled up, usually I'll just walk away. But as far as lightsout and 'red, they did well in this draft and I have great respect for them.

I'll post a few things in that thread but people just get downright nasty there sometimes. I'll check in on it a couple times a week but most of the times I'll look in and it'll be something that's just too much for me. I try to do the best to draw the line on the points of the argument and do the best I can to point out the flaws in it by keeping it to just within the lines of the argument being made, but for some people there is no line. They feel they can say whatever they want as long as it helps them get their point across.

I know Tank has the brought that point up and he is right. We've gotten into some disagreements on politics but he doesen't personally attack me, I don't feel like I personally attack him and if I am I hope he tells and that goes for anyone for that matter, but I definately see people attacking him on a personal scale.

Archived