BASEBALL ALL-TIME DRAFT: Discussion Thread (PLEASE LOCK)

Dexter Morgan

Wow, Ernie Lombardi lasted this long? One of the greatest hitting catchers of all time. For some reason, I thought he was already gone. Nice pick, Dexter!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, Ernie Lombardi lasted this long? One of the greatest hitting catchers of all time. For some reason, I thought he was already gone. Nice pick, Dexter!

Very surprised myself. Bill Dickey and Ernie Lombardi, I'm pretty happy about my catchers. As bad as my Cano pick was, I'm pretty happy about my last 3 picks. Bobby Doerr, Harry Heilmann, and Ernie Lombardi.

Very surprised myself. Bill Dickey and Ernie Lombardi, I'm pretty happy about my catchers. As bad as my Cano pick was, I'm pretty Happy about my last 3 picks. Bobby Doerr, Harry Heilmann, and Ernie Lombardi.

As you should be, both were very great catchers. Offensively, both were very reliable bats in thier lineups, so they'll contribute nicely to yours.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Yeah, he went to the top of my board yesterday. You can't teach speed. Plus he could hit for contact all over the place. And going into my down time, I had to act on it as soon as possible.

packchampionslfroh.png

Most of my guys are probably going to be coming from pre-1950 from this point on.

Not seeing alot of recent guys that I like, but alot of players then people have forgotten about before hand.

I'm not going to be drafting guys from the New York Knickerbockers though so most of the guys should at least sound familiar.

Here's how my lineup is shaking up as of now:

LADodgersCCSLCBattingLineup.png

Todd Helton will be the Pinch Hitter vs. RHP, and my PH v. LHP has yet to be drafted, but given a certain player falls into my lap, may be drafted with one of my next two picks.

I figure I should explain why Lindstrom is batting over Goslin - it's probably just because of how my coaches ran thier lineups in high school, but I hold the #8 spot at a high regard; my coaches used the #8 spot as a "second cleanup man". They'd usually put a very good hitter (never the best one though, he was usually always cleanup) at the #8 spot so he could spark the bottom of the lineup (which happened often, and worked well for us), as well as bring in runners who may have reached base after our cleanup man. So, I felt Goslin would be the better choice to fill that role than Lindstrom.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

Go right ahead! It's a paint template, so hopefully it works for you. If not, let me know and I can tweak it to make it work.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

Go right ahead! It's a paint template, so hopefully it works for you. If not, let me know and I can tweak it to make it work.

Thanks. I'm using Paint.net so it should be a bit easier to use.

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

Todd Helton will be the Pinch Hitter vs. RHP, and my PH v. LHP has yet to be drafted, but given a certain player falls into my lap, may be drafted with one of my next two picks.

I figure I should explain why Lindstrom is batting over Goslin - it's probably just because of how my coaches ran thier lineups in high school, but I hold the #8 spot at a high regard; my coaches used the #8 spot as a "second cleanup man". They'd usually put a very good hitter (never the best one though, he was usually always cleanup) at the #8 spot so he could spark the bottom of the lineup (which happened often, and worked well for us), as well as bring in runners who may have reached base after our cleanup man. So, I felt Goslin would be the better choice to fill that role than Lindstrom.

I'd put Lajoie second, put Jimmie Foxx third, Yaz fourth, Campanella fifth, Bill Terry sixth, Goose Goslin seventh, Appling eigth and Lindstrom ninth.

The only guy I really question that you took is Freddie Lindstrom who I feel is one of the worst HOFers out there and by far the worst for his position for post turn of the century play. Good fielding third baseman, but offensively not that impressive despite what his career numbers are. The year he hit .379, the league batting average was .303

He may be a .311 career hitter but he only finishes top ten in batting average three times and is only top ten in OPS once when he finishes tenth. He also only has slightly over 6000 PA's over a short 13 year career which averages out to around 470 a season.

Otherwise though I think you drafted a very strong lineup. Had Jimmie Foxx and Nap Lajoie ranked 2 and 3 for their positions. Yaz I had 12 overall for OF's.

Luke Appling was my favorite pick you made. He's one of those guys that just gets no respect. Played for 20 years. Top ten in batting average 8 times. Top ten in OBP nine times. Comitts alot of errors, but also got to alot of balls as well. Top five in range factor almost every year he played. For shortstops I actually had him sixth overall behind Honus Wagner, Ernie Banks, Cal Ripken, Alex Rodriguez and Robin Yount, in that order. Think you also got him fairly late as well which is why I was such a big fan of the choice.

I'd put Lajoie second, put Jimmie Foxx third, Yaz fourth, Campanella fifth, Bill Terry sixth, Goose Goslin seventh, Appling eigth and Lindstrom ninth.

The only guy I really question that you took is Freddie Lindstrom who I feel is one of the worst HOFers out there and by far the worst for his position for post turn of the century play. Good fielding third baseman, but offensively not that impressive despite what his career numbers are. The year he hit .379, the league batting average was .303

He may be a .311 career hitter but he only finishes top ten in batting average three times and is only top ten in OPS once when he finishes tenth. He also only has slightly over 6000 PA's over a short 13 year career which averages out to around 470 a season.

Otherwise though I think you drafted a very strong lineup. Had Jimmie Foxx and Nap Lajoie ranked 2 and 3 for their positions. Yaz I had 12 overall for OF's.

Luke Appling was my favorite pick you made. He's one of those guys that just gets no respect. Played for 20 years. Top ten in batting average 8 times. Top ten in OBP nine times. Comitts alot of errors, but also got to alot of balls as well. Top five in range factor almost every year he played. For shortstops I actually had him sixth overall behind Honus Wagner, Ernie Banks, Cal Ripken, Alex Rodriguez and Robin Yount, in that order. Think you also got him fairly late as well which is why I was such a big fan of the choice.

Thanks for your suggestions regarding the lineup, I'll definetely consider them. I understand what you mean about Lindstrom, I've had second thoughts about drafting him, honestly. The hot corner is a hard position to draft, because there isn't a whole lot of depth. After my top targets from 3B were gone, I had a hard time deciding who to go for. I should have done more research, honestly. I'll admit that Lindstrom was a "reactionary" pick, if that makes any sense - I was trying to think of any other HOF third basemen, and Lindstrom popped into my head. I remembered him being featured on a few former players' (including Babe Ruth's) all-time teams, and went for him. If I had the chance, I'd probably have picked somebody different my second go-around.

But anyways, thanks for your compliments. I tried to find some great diamonds in the rough, like Appling (someone I consider to be incredibly underrated), Goslin, and Terry. I was thrilled to get Foxx, who was one of the best all-around players of all-time in my opinion, and especially to snag Yaz, Cool Papa, and Lajoie where I did. My pick of Campanella made me pretty happy, too. All in all, my lineup is pretty older-eras heavy, but I feel alot of the games greats truly came from those eras. As for Todd Helton, he'll make an excellent pinch-hitter/occasional DH. I think he's honestly one of the best hitters of this era, a very underrated player.

As far as my pitchers go, I'm pretty happy with them too. My first four especially, I'm thrilled with (Mathewson, Roberts, Sutton, and Wynn). My liking for workhorses certainly showed when drafting my rotation :D

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

Thanks for your suggestions regarding the lineup, I'll definetely consider them. I understand what you mean about Lindstrom, I've had second thoughts about drafting him, honestly. The hot corner is a hard position to draft, because there isn't a whole lot of depth. After my top targets from 3B were gone, I had a hard time deciding who to go for. I should have done more research, honestly. I'll admit that Lindstrom was a "reactionary" pick, if that makes any sense - I was trying to think of any other HOF third basemen, and Lindstrom popped into my head. I remembered him being featured on a few former players' (including Babe Ruth's) all-time teams, and went for him. If I had the chance, I'd probably have picked somebody different my second go-around.

But anyways, thanks for your compliments. I tried to find some great diamonds in the rough, like Appling (someone I consider to be incredibly underrated), Goslin, and Terry. I was thrilled to get Foxx, who was one of the best all-around players of all-time in my opinion, and especially to snag Yaz, Cool Papa, and Lajoie where I did. My pick of Campanella made me pretty happy, too. All in all, my lineup is pretty older-eras heavy, but I feel alot of the games greats truly came from those eras. As for Todd Helton, he'll make an excellent pinch-hitter/occasional DH. I think he's honestly one of the best hitters of this era, a very underrated player.

As far as my pitchers go, I'm pretty happy with them too. My first four especially, I'm thrilled with (Mathewson, Roberts, Sutton, and Wynn). My liking for workhorses certainly showed when drafting my rotation :D

By my count there's only nine HOF 3B not including guys that started before 1901.

There's good third baseman out there, but you have to dig for them. Five guys in my top 25 best guys not in the HOF are 3B. Three of them (Santo, Boyer and Bell) have gone but there's still two left. One in particular from the career stats doesen't look to be much above an average player but you look closer and you'll find he's a dominating player for much of his career.

Just lots of lies to be found in career stats for figuring out how good somebody really was.

Archived