BASEBALL ALL-TIME DRAFT: Discussion Thread (PLEASE LOCK)

Dexter Morgan

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope my picks come around before I have to go today - I may need to leave a couple of hours earlier for work. If i'm not mistaken, I'm two picks away, so there's a chance I could make it. If not, I'll be sure to send someone my picks before I head out.

Also, I just found one of those "wait...HE'S still on the board??" players, and hope he falls into my lap. He'd make an excellent DH.

EDIT: bruschi has my picks.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I hope my picks come around before I have to go today - I may need to leave a couple of hours earlier for work. If i'm not mistaken, I'm two picks away, so there's a chance I could make it. If not, I'll be sure to send someone my picks before I head out.

Also, I just found one of those "wait...HE'S still on the board??" players, and hope he falls into my lap. He'd make an excellent DH.

It better not be my DH.

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

It better not be my DH.

If it is...I'm sorry! :P Is he an old-timer? If not, then you're good!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

It better not be my DH.

If it is...I'm sorry! :P Is he an old-timer? If not, then you're good!

Nope, we're both good here. :D

As it stands, I'm thrilled with my starting lineup and rotation. Now all I need to do is snag a sixth starter, fill out the 'pen, and get a few quality backups.

I'm looking at my roster a minute ago and thinking "it's not bad but I really should have done better with outfielders." Then it hits me, I totally forgot to add Al Kaline to my roster. Now I'm pretty happy with my outfield. Anyway, all in all I'm pretty pleased with my team so far. My pitching staff is looks a lot better to me than it did as I was drafting them. I have some backups in mind that I really think people have forgotten about.

BB52Big.jpg

Don't worry. I'll take him! :P

My pick, Frank Tanana was one of two pitchers to give up a HR against both Hank Aaron and Barry Bonds.

Had Cone at 61 overall for pitchers and Tanana 68 respectively.

Still have 5 guys left in the top 70 who played the majority of their careers post 1960, but the highest ranked one is at 60.

Still have 30, 32, 36, 37, 42, 44, 46, 47, 48, 50, 52, 53, 54, 56, 57 and 59 on the board. Only 6 of them are HOFers though and none of them are really that famous, so these are pretty much all names that have been lost in history, so I doubt anyone will take one.

When I said earlier Eddie Murray was hands down the best first baseman in the AL during the 1980's. I didn't say in all of baseball though if you notice.

I think Murray was the best first baseman during the 1980's as well, but you can make a very good case for Keith Hernandez as well and I see the two as being very close together over that 10 year stretch.

If Hernandez has just one more decent season I think he'd have it. Unfortunately he craps out after '87. Up until that point though, I'd say Hernandez was winning.

This is also how I would rank my all 80's teams. Pretty much everyone has been picked but there's still three guys on the board.

1st team

C Gary Carter

1B Eddie Murray

2B Ryne Sandberg

3B Wade Boggs

SS Ozzie Smith

OF Rickey Henderson

OF Dale Murhpy

OF Kirby Pucket

RHP Nolan Ryan

LHP ???

2nd team

C ???

1B Keith Hernandez

2B Lou Whitaker

3B Mike Schmidt

SS Cal Ripken Jr.

OF Andre Dawson

OF Tim Raines

OF ???

RHP Dave Stieb

LHP Steve Carlton

BTW I also love the pic of Hernandez lighting up in the dugout. Somewhere Jim Leyland sheds a lonely tear.

Well you do need two so I don't blame him at this point in the draft. I've got me next few picks lined up, so when it's my pick I'll be ready to pull the trigger.

packchampionslfroh.png

Here's my lineup:

1st- #1 Sam Crawford CF

2nd- #2 Charlie Gehringer 2B

3rd- #26 Wade Boggs 3B

4th- #6 Stan Musial LF

5th- #20 George Sisler 1B

6th- #33 Honus Wagner SS

7th- #11 Paul Waner RF

8th- #3 Harold Baines DH

9th- #25 Mickey Cochrane C

Archived