BASEBALL ALL-TIME DRAFT: Discussion Thread (PLEASE LOCK)

Dexter Morgan

Well I am picking 12th but I thin I got some great players. Jeff Kent for insistence has more HR than any other 2B.

I meant Reyes, just now. Really, really bad pick.

Maybe Reyes is a reach, but we are in the later rounds and Reyes has a good chance to win the NL batting title this year, and is one of the best leadoff hitters over the last five years.

Of course the question is, when do they dedicate a wing at the local hospital to the guy?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was wondering when Fernando was going to go.

Kind of a poor man's Sandy Koufax. From '81'-'87 I don't think there's a better pitcher in baseball. After '87 though he just drops off and never recovers.

I think he got used way too much early on in his career, because he was top five in strikeouts and innings pitched and top ten in walks every year during that stretch. That tells me in just about every single outing he was going 7+ innings, giving up close to ten hits, striking out at least 6 and walking at least 3, and facing 30+ hitters. He had to be well over 120 pitches in almost every game he pitched and eventually I think it got to him. You also look at the pitchers that played the majority with their careers with the Dodgers under Tommy Lasorda they tended not to have long careers because Tommy was an old school manager who would just abuse his starters. Fernando is one example, Orel Hershiser is another and I can think of several other Dodger pitchers who I think would have had much longer careers had they played for another team or under another manager.

If your looking at pure statistics I don't believe Fernando's a Hall of Famer. If you accoutning for things like what he did off the field and what he meant to expanding the game into the Mexican community, which I belive the Hall of Fame should take into account as well, I feel like he should be in. I feel baseball would be much better served by having HOFer Fernando Valenzuela as a spokesman for the game to Mexico rather then Fernando Valenzuela. There's very few I'd make the exception to, but he's one of them. He wouldn't be the worst pitcher to get in, nor the first guy to get in on that reasoning either.

I thought Vida Blue would fall farther in the draft. I just let him go and was planning on taking him with my next pick. Guess I was wrong there.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I'm actually really, really surprised. It's a reach, but such a weird reach out of left field. I know you wanted to stay current, but... man.

Especially considering how in-tune you are sabermetrically. You take someone with a career 10 bWAR, 8.7 fWAR in an all time draft? 838 in B-Ref's ELO rankings? Yikes.

I'm not looking forwards to drafting my bullpen, as I'm not as knowledgable of relievers as I am of other positions. There's one middle reliever in particular that I know of and am targeting, but aside from that, I'm basically lost.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Yeah I know, it's just filling up the rest of the bullpen that's got me in knots :P

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I'm not looking forwards to drafting my bullpen, as I'm not as knowledgable of relievers as I am of other positions. There's one middle reliever in particular that I know of and am targeting, but aside from that, I'm basically lost.

Pretty much called it weeks ago that people would have no idea what the hell to do with the bullpen and would get lazy when it came to this department.

Tekulve will close for me, McDaniel was drafted to be one of my two middle relievers, and Dave Smith and Tug McGraw will be set up men. I have one other pitcher in mind for middle relief and he will be my next pick assuming nobody else takes him which I strongly doubt will happen.

There are two outfielders on the board. I'm taking 1 of them, but I desperately want both. I'm shocked either of them are still on the board. Which one I should pick is giving me a headache.

EDIT: Went with Harry Heilmann, very pleased to land him.

Archived