BASEBALL ALL-TIME DRAFT: Discussion Thread (PLEASE LOCK)

Dexter Morgan

Tank, if you haven't seen the selection thread, you need to make a replacement pick. Quisenberry was selected previously. You have been skipped several picks because of this.

Also, to everyone... front page of the spreadsheet is updated, second page is not yet.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuvVHGI3EzFmdERqZVN3bWdiOHpkcFhMV1hCaWVyTmc&hl=en_US

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

knnhrvy's picks are in, and yes, he did instruct me to take both 1B if they were both still on the board.

Thanks bruschi!

Bill Terry will be my DH, and Todd Helton will be my backup 1B behind Jimmie Foxx. I was thrilled to get both - Terry's career average is .341 (and he was the last NL player to hit .400 in a season), and Helton's stats will shock you - how about an average of .323, 2,333 hits, 344 HR, and 1,293 RBIs in his 14-year career? He doesn't get talked about alot, but I think he's one of the best hitters of this era.

All in all, I think I got fantastic value with both picks.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I'm really surprised Helton lasted this late.

I had him ninth overall for first baseman. (Only one guy left in the top ten, but nobody is going to get him.)

As a potential HOFer I'd say he has a very good case. Even on the road he's right around .300 Gold glove calibar first baseman. We'll see if the Coors Field effect does anything to him, but I would still put him in.

Lineup:

CF: #1 Earle Combs (1924-1935, NYY)

OF: #4 Mel Ott (1926-1947, NYG)

3B: #3 Alex Rodriguez (1994- , SEA, TEX, NYY)

OF: #9 Ted Williams (1939-1960, BOS)

1B: #33 Eddie Murray(1977-1997, BAL, LAD, CLE, NYM, ANA)

DH: #31 Dave Winfield (1973-1995, SDP, NYY, CAL, TOR, MIN, CLE)

C: #8 Bill Dickey(1928-1947, NYY)

SS: #2 Joe Sewell(1920-1933, CLE, NYY)

2B: #1 Bobby Doerr (1937-1951, BOS)

Rotation:

SP: #P Grover Cleveland Alexander, RHP (1911-1930, PHI, CHC, STL)

SP: #32 Steve Carlton, LHP (1965-1988, STL, PHI, SFG, CHW, CLE, MIN)

SP: #11 Carl Hubbell, LHP (1928-1943, NYG)

SP: #49 Ron Guidry, LHP (1975-1988, NYY)

SP: #57 Johan Santana, LHP (2000- , MIN, NYM)

SP: #18 Dazzy Vance, RHP (1915-1935, PIT, NYY, BRO, CIN, STL)

I took my first bench player. A solid hitter with a :censored:ing vacuum for a glove and rocket for an arm.

For my top 25 best players not in the HOF, I had Buddy Bell at 23. Guys that are great defensive players and don't strike out don't get alot of respect. Buddy Bell is a prime example of this.

Great defensive player. Right there with Mike Schmidt for his era defensively. Offensively good, may not get that noticed because of the huge offensive explosion that came right after he retired, but he was above the league average for 3B virtually every year he played offensively. Also had alot of longevity 10000+ PA's over 18 years.

Ted Simmons who was picked earlier was also five on that list. Some guys I just have no f'n clue why they aren't in the HOF. Ted Simmons is one of them. What is the debate here? He spends his entire career being a hair behind argubly the greatest catcher of all-time and is far better then the third best over that time span (1970-1983) (either Thurman Munson or Carlton Fisk depending on your preference, I give the slight edge to Munson for that stretch but Fisk had the better career).

I think Tank might have unintentionally reached harder than anyone else in the draft so far... and that's saying something considering Jahgee's picks.

I wouldn't say he's as bad as Jahgee. That's low.

His team is just high on power/Met players low on defense. Killebrew, Brock, Kent, Piazza. Don't think any of them are winning gold gloves anytime soon.

But at least he didn't draft George Wright who predates the National League for god sakes. Fully expecting Candy Cummings, Alexander Cartwright or Brett Favre to come off the board next.

Well I am picking 12th but I thin I got some great players. Jeff Kent for insistence has more HR than any other 2B.

I meant Reyes, just now. Really, really bad pick.

Maybe Reyes is a reach, but we are in the later rounds and Reyes has a good chance to win the NL batting title this year, and is one of the best leadoff hitters over the last five years.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived