Logo Theft and Fighting Back

BrandMooreArt

Thanks for this. My studio has had our stuff stolen many times. In most instances the Cease and Desist letter does the job.

One frustrating loop hole I encountered was when a client paid us to do a logo, then a year later paid a higher profile firm to use the same concept/look for a different company logo. We started getting grief in the community for "stealing" the new, higher profile logo even though ours was the true original. I finally had to take it out of our portfolio due to the conflict.

Wow. I mean, that's a huge complement to their work, but yeah, that's pretty pathetic that actual pro teams would steal other persons logos. Fight back and demand they give credit!

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Wow. I mean, that's a huge complement to their work, but yeah, that's pretty pathetic that actual pro teams would steal other persons logos. Fight back and demand they give credit!

It's not a complement for someone's work to be stolen, and I don't think anyone will ever think that. What kind of person thinks it's a compliment for someone's work to be stolen after they worked possibly hundreds of hours on it? That's got to be the most ludicris and insulting thought process to anyone who's had work stolen!

Thanks for this. My studio has had our stuff stolen many times. In most instances the Cease and Desist letter does the job.

One frustrating loop hole I encountered was when a client paid us to do a logo, then a year later paid a higher profile firm to use the same concept/look for a different company logo. We started getting grief in the community for "stealing" the new, higher profile logo even though ours was the true original. I finally had to take it out of our portfolio due to the conflict.

man thats got to be the worst. having credit and work stolen from you.

also a good idea Sterling, thanks

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

What ever happened to the automatic copyright for all published work, as enacted by the Copyright Act of 1976?

Nothing happened to it. Technically you still have that protection. But Sec 411 of that act (per Wikipedia) states that although registration is not required for ownership of the work, registration IS required before the creator can take infringement action.

This is essentially what I've laid forth as best I can in my guest blog feature (link above). It's all well and good to assume your rights are guaranteed, but the rubber meets the road at enforcing those rights. And you are powerless to do so without registration.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Archived