Soccer stadium concept

Kevin W.

I've done a preliminary sketch of Scripps Health Park, my CPL team's (Club Atletico Real San Diego) new stadium. The point of this is to get feedback on the general idea while I try to figure out a better way to create the image. I'm still taking baby steps with Inkscape, after all.

Feel free to chuckle at the irony of the fact that the stadium sponsor is Scripps Health while my team's shirt sponsor is General Atomics, a defense contractor. That was intentional.

6a2d0fc5.png

The scale is 2 pixels = 1 yard. I'm still not sure about the capacity. I think I got the scale in relation to the field right. The red, yellow and white seats are the normal seats, while the purple and orange are the press boxes and luxury suites, respectively. That big gray thing is the scoreboard. It's 291 feet across. Suck on that, Jerry Jones! :P

Here's a map with the stadium overlaid onto the current site of Qualcomm Stadium. Since 78 pixels is 500 feet at that scale, I divided 78 by 500 to get .156. Then, I divided 512 (the width of the stadium image) by 2 and then multiplied it by 3 to get the stadium length in feet (768 feet) which I then multiplied by .156 to get the stadium's small size for the map image (119.808). My math may be off and the round answer of 120 may be completely wrong. I certainly wouldn't complain if someone corrected my math, because it's late and my head hurts, so I might have gotten that wrong.

9673c399.png

This assumes that the Chargers moved to a new downtown stadium, thus leaving the Qualcomm site vacant. A man certainly can dream about a real-life soccer-specific stadium being built there for a future San Diego MLS team.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Very cool.

I've got to get on doing something like this for Vic Park for my boys.

That's one hell of a scoreboard.

This isn't the actual site for the stadium is it? You just put it there for comparison purposes, right?

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Just by looking at the image, I would think that the capacity would be fairly high given the upper decks drawn in. If you want to bring the capacity down (which would probably be more realistic for a soccer-specific stadium) I would eliminate the white seating sections as well as the yellow end seating.

gYH2mW9.png

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to calculate screen resolution.

This isn't the actual site for the stadium is it? You just put it there for comparison purposes, right?

I don't see why it couldn't be the site. After all, it's not a real stadium.

Ok, here it is with the white seats removed.

681830e2.png

One of the lower level boxes is 3,384 square feet if my math is right (48 feet wide by 70.5 feet high). Any idea how many seats that would fit?

Ok, here's what I've started doing to figure out the capacity.

a576a6d5.png

Assuming 24 seats to a row with allowances for aisles, there are 576 seats (24 rows) in each of the north and south sections (the ones I've done so far). There are 675 seats (27 rows) in the east and west sections. So far, that's a capacity of 8,496.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to calculate screen resolution.

I don't see why it couldn't be the site. After all, it's not a real stadium.

Fair enough.

It's coming along really nicely man, and kudos to the amount of detail you are putting into figuring out the seating capacity.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I was having too much trouble figuring out the corner sections of the lower bowl so I took the lazy option and just got rid of them.

c6bcab5c.png

I'll be able to C&P the lower sections to to upper level so figuring out the capacity of the upper level shouldn't be difficult.

Archived