Tampa Bay Rays concept

AnythingChicago

This is a concept I've been working on over the last couple days. Feel free to criticize it in any way you want, but please don't refer to it as a "five minute Paint job". Collectively, I spent about 5 hours on this concept. So, please, enjoy.

If blase starts a MLB Uniform Concept Championship thread, this will be my entry. I assume it is okay for me to post it hear now and potentially use it later (judging by the rules he made in the other two competitions).

Now, to the concept. It has 2 alts that can be used home or away, and one TATC alt that would be used on Sundays, or possibly on specially promoted Friday home games. Or something like that. Lastly, you will notice that, although it implements many features of the 1998 Devil Rays, the team is still just plain Rays.

Without further adieu, here is my rendition of the Tampa Bay Rays.

tampabayraysconcept.png

TRIAL 1

25yzwqg.png

I'm sorry and I know you spent real time on it, but it still appears cut and paste and randomly and inconsistently colored. For instance there's outlines on the front of the jersey but single colored on the back with straight names and off spacing between them and the numbers. The slant is too severe especially on the homes and the different colored "Tampa" on the aways sticks out like a sore thumb. There's not enough black spread out over the uniforms to work with the black caps/belts/socks. And really there's just too many colors that appear to be crammed in there. I'd pick one or two main colors with maybe a limited third for accenting. And tie them together a little more so it doesn't seem so random.

I'm sorry and I know you spent real time on it, but it still appears cut and paste and randomly and inconsistently colored. For instance there's outlines on the front of the jersey but single colored on the back with straight names and off spacing between them and the numbers. The slant is too severe especially on the homes and the different colored "Tampa" on the aways sticks out like a sore thumb. There's not enough black spread out over the uniforms to work with the black caps/belts/socks. And really there's just too many colors that appear to be crammed in there. I'd pick one or two main colors with maybe a limited third for accenting. And tie them together a little more so it doesn't seem so random.

That all makes sense. I'll try to put that into consideration for an update. Thank you for the C&C.

25yzwqg.png

I like the idea, but I have some suggestions.

Get rid of the sun burst. It just doesn't fit.

Choose a different number/NOB font. Either go with MLB block or find a font similar to the wordmark. Also, add a black outline to the numbers and NOB to match the wordmark.

Make the T on the hat blue to match the wordmark on the road uni.

Alright, I lied. No update tonight. I have other things I'm obligated to. Although I have started on the update, and I think I'm really going in the right direction. Once again, thanks for the input.

I'll be sure to get the update out tomorrow.

25yzwqg.png

Well, I lied once more; I found time to complete the update. I really think this is an improvement, and would love to hear your feedback. And, yes, I know B.J. Upton is actually number 2, not number 6, but due to limited resources I had to use six. I hope you don't mind. ;)

tampabayraysconcept.png

25yzwqg.png

Well, I lied once more; I found time to complete the update. I really think this is an improvement, and would love to hear your feedback. And, yes, I know B.J. Upton is actually number 2, not number 6, but due to limited resources I had to use six. I hope you don't mind. ;)

tampabayraysconcept.png

Not to sound harsh, but the only improvement made was an outline on the back that matches the front. Number font change is really more lateral. The changing color of the T on the road cap seems as unnecessary as the Pirates alternate cap. You'd be better off with just the one cap for all sets (and making "Tampa" the same color as "Bay") or changing the bill color between the hats. Even making one cap have green letters and one with blue doesn't really work because the colors are too similar that there's hardly a difference. Other than that, the slant on the "Rays" mark remains way too severe, especially when compared to how it looks with the roadmark. And the piping and random coloring still remains the same.

And just noticed the number on the front of the yellow alt. It's so small you'd be better off just having the logo with no numbers.

Tip on the "Rays" mark: to help with the problems I've mentioned, you need to adjust the size of the ray to go with the word better and take the "upper wing" and fit it into the bottom opening of the 'R' that way it's a balanced mark. And place it on top of the roadmark and make sure both are at the same degree of slant. I'd probably adjust the home to match the road as it seems like the more appropriately angled one.

McCall: If you look here, you will notice that the slant on the wordmark is the same that it was from 1998-2000. So I really don't feel that the slant, or the placement and size of the ray, is too severe.

And, as for the road primary issue, I'll try to field more feedback and see what others think. If a good amount of them agree with you, I'll change it. Because, personally, I think the 'Tampa Bay' looks cool, and doesn't make the 'Tampa' stick out like a sore thumb. As for the road hat, I'm still split.

25yzwqg.png

McCall: If you look here, you will notice that the slant on the wordmark is the same that it was from 1998-2000. So I really don't feel that the slant, or the placement and size of the ray, is too severe.

And, as for the road primary issue, I'll try to field more feedback and see what others think. If a good amount of them agree with you, I'll change it. Because, personally, I think the 'Tampa Bay' looks cool, and doesn't make the 'Tampa' stick out like a sore thumb. As for the road hat, I'm still split.

It's all about perception. The slant may not need adjustment, but the lack of "Devil" above it gives it the perception of a more severe slant. Fixing the placement of the ray under the wordmark and making the word better situated on the front of the jersey will help with the perception. Notice how the roadmark looks more centered as a whole and not having the ray way down to the bottom right of the jersey and the words to the upper left as it is on the Rays mark.

This is nice, but on the yellow one, the name below the number just looks dumb. I see what you were trying to do something unique and creative, but it just doesn't work.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived