Hot Stove: MLB Offseason Thread

Dexter Morgan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Angels will regret this contract... the man IS turning 32 years old AND he just got a 10 year deal.

especially with no opt-out clause. this might go down as one of the worst contracts of all time.

With A-Rods a close second.

Jeter got a 10 year deal in 2000, surprisingly that worked out, but he was 26-27 years old.

This contract most likely will not backfire on the Angels. Pujols means MUCH more to a team than on the field play. Plus he is 32. He will have the opportunity to move over to DH when he needs to which further increases his value to the team. I'm shocked that he went to the Angels but he will help that franchise tremendously for the next several years.

To add to my previous comments, I can somewhat justify a new jersey purchase!

Maybe berkman, he'll be around for a long time right??

The thing I'm most upset about is there will be no Pujols statue as big as Stan's. They probably won't retire his number. He won't be one of those guys riding in on corvette's wearing red jackets on opening day. And he might not go into the hall of fame as a Cardinal.

All stupid, petty child-like reactions but what can I say, I'm a fan.

Wow. I'm actually kind of torn on this Pujols thing. As basically an Angels fan, I'm thrilled they got Albert Pujols. As a baseball fan, I kind of wish he'd stayed in St. Louis. The Angels just tied up ten years of big money into a guy who's going to probably give them 5 more really good years. Cardinals fans won't like this today (Pretty much like Angels fans are going to feel about C.J. Wilson around July.) but in five years they'll be thanking their lucky stars they didn't do this deal with Pujols. But what the hell, it's Albert Pujols. I'll take that.

Exactly.

I don't care about the money. It's not my money. Arte obviously gave the go-ahead (and that's huge with his recent reputation of penny pinching). And if there is a guy you're going to take a flyer on with that money, it's Albert :censored: ing Pujols.

And in five years if Albert is deteriorating in the field, you throw him in a DH. That's why this deal makes way more sense for the Angels than it would the Cardinals. His usefulness runs longer in the AL.

Yup. And if by then he's only good for .275 15-20 HR 70+ RBI in 110-125 games at DH, that's still pretty decent production. Yeah, it's a lot of money to tie up but the 5-6 prime years should more than make up for the 4 years of "diminishing skills."

BB52Big.jpg

What makes you think a 32 year old has 5-6 more prime years?

What makes you think he doesn't? 5-6 may have been overstating it. He's still got at least four peak years left in him. And I'll still take Albert Pujols at 70& of what he used to be over a lot of other "prime" players.

BB52Big.jpg

Albert got his big contract, but his legacy takes a hit.

What makes you think he doesn't? 5-6 may have been overstating it. He's still got at least four peak years left in him.

A players prime ends right around 32-33 years old. I'm sure he has a couple more great years, but his production is going to drop from here on out. Unless he's Barry Bonds. 5-6 prime years is certainly overstating it.

A minor hit, he wont be Stan Musial but this is the day of Free Agency and players moving is no longer an issue on their legacy. Players who play 20 years in one place are an exception not the rule.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

So, the Angels get #1 bat and #1 arm in Free Agency. The Angels?

I would argue Yu Darvish is the #1 arm.

Of course our resident Yankees fan would argue Jigga's statement.

Darvish is unproven in the majors (Could be the next Irabu for all we know). Wilson just has a carrer year in the bigs. End of argument.

6uXNWAo.png

What makes you think he doesn't? 5-6 may have been overstating it. He's still got at least four peak years left in him.

A players prime ends right around 32-33 years old. I'm sure he has a couple more great years, but his production is going to drop from here on out. Unless he's Barry Bonds. 5-6 prime years is certainly overstating it.

Legacy? That pollyanna stuff went out the window years ago. I'm as old school as it gets around here but even I know that expecting a player to remain with one team his entire career is just silly. Did Greg Maddux's legacy "take a hit" when he left Chicago? Did Reggie Jackson's? I could go on but I think I made my point.

Yeah, I pretty much copped to overstating it. Or are you just getting off on piling on at this point?

EDIT: And I have to wonder what you'd be saying if Pujols signed with the Yankees.

BB52Big.jpg

Legacy? That pollyanna stuff went out the window years ago. I'm as old school as it gets around here but even I know that expecting a player to remain with one team his entire career is just silly. Did Greg Maddux's legacy "take a hit" when he left Chicago? Did Reggie Jackson's? I could go on but I think I made my point.

Yeah, I pretty much copped to overstating it. Or are you just getting off on piling on at this point?

EDIT: And I have to wonder what you'd be saying if Pujols signed with the Yankees.

-I'm piling on really? 2 solid posts on the issue is piling on?

-Id be saying its a terrible contract, just like it did when the Yankees gave a 10 year deal to A-Rod.

Archived