Hot Stove: MLB Offseason Thread

Dexter Morgan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least Pujols didn't go the Cubs. As much as I would like to see Pujols to stay with the Cards, I don't think Cards fans should be too upset of him leaving. He already won two titles for the Cards at a fraction of what the Angels are going to pay him, and I'm not certain they will get to one title in those 10 years.

I saw, I came, I left.

It's hard to believe that in the space of one day, Albert is leaving St. Louis (which is tragic, relatively speaking - it would've been fantastic if the best hitter of the generation spent his entire career in one city), and the Angels picked up an ace as well to pair with three solid starters already.

The AL West odds just changed drastically in 24 hours. Texas has a solid organization and will be good in the long run, but they will not be repeating as three time division and AL champions. No chance.

In other words, 1-2 vs. Freese and 1-2 vs. Berkman will haunt that team and their fans that much more going forward.

spacer.png

The Blues put up a picture of Pujols in an Angels jersey on the videoboard in tonights game against the Ducks.

Let's just say that it was a very easy way to get the crowd against the Halos against their on-ice Anaheim brethren. Yikes.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

The Angels were always pretty much the only team I worried about. That said, it sucks so much realizing that he's actually leaving, but it's easier to swallow than if he had gone to the Marlins or Cubs. I think the Cardinals will be fine, that would be a lot for an NL team to commit to at this age for a player, but I was really looking forward to finally having a Stan Musial for my generation, an all-time great spending his entire career wearing the birds on the bat.

Stan Musial's sticking with the Cardinals is slightly less meaningful when you remember there was no such thing as free agency back then.

I'm ok with this, and a lot more ok with this after the Cardinals got that second World Series. The Cardinals are better off not having him chew up that money down the road when his defense has fallen off, and he went to the other league, which is always preferable (as opposed to Miami or Chicago NL). I'll miss him, but its been a good ride.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Back to Pujols for a second... Of course an American League team swoops in and takes Albert! It makes sense for him becuase now he can now sit and watch games aside from the 4-5 times a game he gets to step up to the plate and mash, or at least that will be the case in the latter years of his ten-year deal. If the National League were able to field a DH, who knows? Maybe Albert stays in St. Louis, takes his talents to South Beach, or fires up the rivalry again and goes to the Northside. It's time MLB uses the DH across-the-board. It's unfain during interleague play, and it's unfair now in signing free agents.

Ehh... I'm fine with this kind of unfair. Managing in the AL is so easy you can do crack and still take a team to the World Series. Boring.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

One final thing...Los Angeles isn't through with St. Louis. Operation Farmer's is still underway...

Today, we are all otaku.

It's time MLB uses the DH across-the-board. It's unfair during interleague play, and it's unfair now in signing free agents.

No, it's time MLB gets rid of the DH because it is, and always has been, an absurd gimmick. In the early 1970's, a bunch of idiots thought that adding an extra batter would more people to attend AL games. In 1973, the immortal Ron Blomberg became the first person to "play" DH. Call me crazy, but I doubt that very many people showed up at Fenway Park on April 6, 1973 just to see Ron Blomberg get his hacks.

BB52Big.jpg

Guys like Derek Jeter and Chipper Jones are few and far between.

But some if not most guys had no choice but to leave, such as Ken Griffy. If the Yankees were not willing to pay Derek Jeter top dollar back in 2000, who knows, he sure as heck wouldn't still be making the type of money he's making now. Heck my favorite Yankees growing up Bernie Williams almost signed with the Red Sox before the Yankees upped their offer last minute. Forutently as a Yankee fan we haven;t lost many fan favorites via free agency. Only one I can think of is Andy Pettitte, could not of been more happy when he came back. Though I wish he could of been lifer like Jeter, Bernie, Mo, and possibly Posada if he retires.

It's time MLB uses the DH across-the-board. It's unfair during interleague play, and it's unfair now in signing free agents.

No, it's time MLB gets rid of the DH because it is, and always has been, an absurd gimmick. In the early 1970's, a bunch of idiots thought that adding an extra batter would more people to attend AL games. In 1973, the immortal Ron Blomberg became the first person to "play" DH. Call me crazy, but I doubt that very many people showed up at Fenway Park on April 6, 1973 just to see Ron Blomberg get his hacks.

Cujo is right, it is unfair but infrared is right about abolishing the DH. I hate to be dramatic here but this is a civil war situation, the AL will never give it up, it's a free agent token and a cash cow. The NL is considered by many to "real baseball", myself included, and many fans may be lost if the DH is introduced to the NL. So I guess our only hope is that someday a commissioner comes along who stops interleague AND/or abolishes the DH. Otherwise baseball will continue to be the only major sport with two sets of rules for two leagues/conferences.

By the way I'm 17, born after the first expansion of the 90's and has always watched baseball with interleague and the DH, but I love me some old time baseball!

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

I haven't seen anything on here so I apologize ahead of time if i'm repeating anyone but my Pirates signed P Eric Bedard, SS Clint Barmes, C Rod Barajas, and CF Nate McClouth. We also cut P Ross Ohlendorf. For being the Pirates I think these are pretty good moves. If we can get off to a great start like last year with the young squad we have who knows what could happen in a weaker central division. I know most people will disagree with me but with Fielder and Pujols out of the division it can only help the cubs, reds, astros and Pirates.

The AL West odds just changed drastically in 24 hours. Texas has a solid organization and will be good in the long run, but they will not be repeating as three time division and AL champions. No chance.

red%2Bsox%2Bbest%2Bteam%2Bin%2Bbaseball%2B2011.jpg

There's a reason they play the games.

The Rangers still should have a far superior offense, even barring any additions, they're superior defensively, and while the Angels pitching is a lot better, the Rangers have a lot of variation in their young starters. If Derek Holland, Alexi Ogando, or Neftali Feliz make big steps forward this year, then the pitching might not end up being the difference maker the Angels thought.

red%2Bsox%2Bbest%2Bteam%2Bin%2Bbaseball%2B2011.jpg

There's a reason they play the games.

The Rangers still should have a far superior offense, even barring any additions, they're superior defensively, and while the Angels pitching is a lot better, the Rangers have a lot of variation in their young starters. If Derek Holland, Alexi Ogando, or Neftali Feliz make big steps forward this year, then the pitching might not end up being the difference maker the Angels thought.

Thanks for bringing that back up :'(

spacer.png

I haven't seen anything on here so I apologize ahead of time if i'm repeating anyone but my Pirates signed P Eric Bedard, SS Clint Barmes, C Rod Barajas, and CF Nate McClouth. We also cut P Ross Ohlendorf. For being the Pirates I think these are pretty good moves. If we can get off to a great start like last year with the young squad we have who knows what could happen in a weaker central division. I know most people will disagree with me but with Fielder and Pujols out of the division it can only help the cubs, reds, astros and Pirates.

Are we SURE Fielder is leaving the division? The Cardinals just had a lot of money get freed up.

Today, we are all otaku.

Are we SURE Fielder is leaving the division? The Cardinals just had a lot of money get freed up.

The Pirates will be competitive like they were last year. Not going to lie when they were .500 last year pretty late into the season I was rooting for them to finally finish over. They had a good run, but the team just isnt built to last 162 games, not yet at least. They need 1 guy to solidify the team, perhaps Fielder. I know that wont happen, theres no way they spend it, but eventually they will get over the hump of .500.

I would love to be wrong. I have a strong dislike of the Halos.

I think the direct CJ Wilson shift is the reason why I make that comment, however. Offense still favors Texas, but to see the ace go from one staff which, as of now, doesn't have a true "ace", to a staff with Weaver, Haren, and Santana already in tow, within the division no less, is a scary proposition.

The Red Sox acquiring Carl Crawford was always an overrated move. He's not as bad as he was in 2011, but he's not anywhere near worth what he got last year, even in a good year.

spacer.png

Archived