Hot Stove: MLB Offseason Thread

Dexter Morgan

FWIW, he passed a test sometime after the positive test, and apparently Braun & his camp are gonna try to use that to get the 1st result thrown out.

I am hoping this is true! I've heard the same ting. I have calmed down since my last post. I really don't know what is going on. Other's don't know the full story. All there is is the ESPN report that is spreading like wildfire. I have a feeling all the details haven't been released. If things shake out the way people think they are going to, I am going to be one depressed Brewer fan for a looooong time!

packchampionslfroh.png

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If its true, it would be a shame to see Braun get caught. Theres a part of me that is no longer shocked about hearing this stuff. The test was taken during the playoffs and came back with high testosterone levels and another test said it was synthetic. all the info isnt out yet, so we need to wait.

As far as the MVP thing, its an unfortunate situation. The voting is already submitted after the regular season. So they test he failed was after the voting took place. MLB cant strip him of the MVP, it would have to be done by the BBWAA. Then you would have to go back and think about taking A Rod's MVPs back. I guess if the Heisman committee can take back those awards you might see it get done here.

I don't buy it. Just LOOK at him, the visual cues don't say "roids." Maybe they lent him McGwire's old piss cup or something.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

There are tons of dudes who took PEDs and didn't (a) bulk up and (b ) become any better at baseball

I really can't get outraged about this until there is conclusive proof of how PEDs inflate ability. All we've got now is that HGH can help someone recover from an injury faster.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Why is this report coming out two months after season has ended?

Well, it could have been taken near the end of the season and the results could have just came in recently.

I swear that I saw a report that said Braun knew about the positive test around the time he won the NL MVP. I'll look around to see if I can find it again.

Why is this report coming out two months after season has ended?

Well, it could have been taken near the end of the season and the results could have just came in recently.

I swear that I saw a report that said Braun knew about the positive test around the time he won the NL MVP. I'll look around to see if I can find it again.

He found out about it weeks before he won the NL MVP. The failed test happened during the playoffs. The reason the news is just now coming out is because Braun is fighting it.

IUe6Hvh.png

I don't buy it. Just LOOK at him, the visual cues don't say "roids." Maybe they lent him McGwire's old piss cup or something.

Did Brian Roberts visual cues say roids?

Physically, no. However, Roberts had a significant jump in power from one year to the next. When guys first started getting suspended, B-Rob was one of the guys I was pretty sure would be caught.

Braun's at least been pretty consistent as far as his production goes.

Did Brian Roberts visual cues say roids?

Physically, no. However, Roberts had a significant jump in power from one year to the next. When guys first started getting suspended, B-Rob was one of the guys I was pretty sure would be caught.

Braun's at least been pretty consistent as far as his production goes.

Going from single digit home runs in your early 20s to double digit home runs (all below 20, only once above 12) in your late 20s doesn't exactly raise eyebrows. It's a natural progression. Besides, he only hit 5 home runs the year he admitted taking steroids, the only year he failed a drug test. He also hit 16 home runs in 2009. Well after it was reported he was a user, do you think he went back on steroids?

Everyone who knows me knows that Ryan Braun is my absolute favourite athlete. Even though he has awful hair & wears too many douchey Ed Hardy & Affliction shirts, he's Jewish, attractive, been a great role model, and really good.

This is pretty heartbreaking... he's got many fans including myself really hoping this isn't true.

It's REALLY important that he does a good job of damage control well considering he has a lot of angry media members who just voted him NL MVP.

Maybe I need to check out Ian Kinsler more now.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

I like Ryan Braun too, but I don't think he's a particularly good role model, nor is it his job to be.

It sucks for baseball on a number of levels if he's out for a third of the season, but it sure helps the Cubs.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I dont know if anyone saw the BBWAA story they posted saying that they wont consider taking away his MVP. Their reasoning is pretty solid, because at the time they voted for him as MVP he hadn't even taken the drug test yet. They also made good points saying that they would have to take away Ken Caminiti's and A Rod's MVPs as well. And then you even have to look at Bonds and it would become a complete mess.

It sucks that Braun is even in this situation but he keeps saying that there are "special circumstances" about his testosterone levels. Its all going to come out very soon I would assume.

Welcome to As the Brewers Turn....

Wheels still turning on the Braun front. Way too many differing reports out there to put a true spin on this story. Alex Gonzales officially signed his one year contract with the team. Zack Greinke has left his agency, and it has sparked a whirlwind of controversy about him wanting a trade, as he did the same thing while with Kansas City, before he was traded to the Crew. But there is another report that he and GM Doug Melvin had a meeting recently (not sure how recent) and he expressed his disdain for how he performed last year and wants to do better next year FWIW. Now it is being reported that the team and 3B Aramis Ramirez have agreed to a 3 year/$34-37M deal, and will sign pending a physical. I am also basically 100% sure that Prince will be taking his talents elsewhere, though stranger things have happened.

Phew, that is a lot of Brewers talk in around 5 minutes.

packchampionslfroh.png

And now through the sands of the hourglass....

The Brewers have traded 3b Casey McGehee to the Pittsburgh Pirates in exchange for P Jose Veras. What was a very quiet week last week, has turned into holy freaking flurry Batman!!!!

packchampionslfroh.png

Former Yankees manager Lou Piniella set to return to Bombers as YES Network television analyst

Sources say Sweet Lou expected to also serve as spring training instructor

BY Bob Raissman

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Originally Published: Tuesday, December 13 2011, 11:51 AM

Updated: Tuesday, December 13 2011, 12:00 PM

Sweet Luigi is headed back to the Yankees.

Lou Piniella, a fan favorite as both player and manager, is deep in negotiations and close to signing a deal to return to the Bombers as an analyst for the Yankees Entertainment & Sports Network. He also will likely serve as a spring training instructor.

According to industry sources, Piniella will do a limited number of appearances for YES in the broadcast booth and studio.

Piniella would join YES’ cast of analysts that includes Ken Singleton, John Flaherty, Paul O’Neill, David Cone, Al Leiter and play-by-play man Michael Kay.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/yankees-manager-lou-piniella-set-return-bombers-yes-network-television-analyst-article-1.990799#ixzz1gXzAvGeC

Archived