Hot Stove: MLB Offseason Thread

Dexter Morgan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What makes you think a 32 year old has 5-6 more prime years?

What makes you think he's 32?

Because he knows everything there is to know about baseball would be my guess.

Exactly. He is not 31 going on 32.

Let's say he declines as much as 5% each season, if he is older than 32 when the season starts, he decline will be much more rapid.

Umm.. he's going to be 32 before the season starts. Unless hes actually older, but I have no reason to think he is.

To add to my previous comments, I can somewhat justify a new jersey purchase!

Maybe berkman, he'll be around for a long time right??

The thing I'm most upset about is there will be no Pujols statue as big as Stan's. They probably won't retire his number. He won't be one of those guys riding in on corvette's wearing red jackets on opening day. And he might not go into the hall of fame as a Cardinal.

All stupid, petty child-like reactions but what can I say, I'm a fan.

Agree. I need a new jersey now, although, unlike a certain Great Lakes town, I will not be starting a bonfire with my Pujols jersey or any other items linked to him. Again, they won two World Series with him. Our main obstacle for a repeat next year is health. Will Craig be healthy for opening day? Will Holliday? Can Freese and Berkman stay healthy? Wainwright?

Next year, if Berkman's having another good year by midseason, don't waste time. Get him signed for a couple more. Once Wainwright looks likes he's back on track, lock him up long term. Get Yadi signed. They still have pieces. Just need to make sure they stick around.

Did Greg Maddux's legacy "take a hit" when he left Chicago?

To be fair, Maddux was just an "all-star" when he left Chicago. Pujols is leaving St. Louis already a "first-ballot hall of famer".

6uXNWAo.png

What makes you think a 32 year old has 5-6 more prime years?

What makes you think he's 32?

Because he knows everything there is to know about baseball would be my guess.

Exactly. He is not 31 going on 32.

Let's say he declines as much as 5% each season, if he is older than 32 when the season starts, he decline will be much more rapid.

Umm.. he's going to be 32 before the season starts. Unless hes actually older, but I have no reason to think he is.

Clearly, you have no idea how things work in the Dominican Republic.

-I'm piling on really? 2 solid posts on the issue is piling on?

-Id be saying its a terrible contract, just like it did when the Yankees gave a 10 year deal to A-Rod.

I retract the piling on statement. On everything else, I defer to your knowledge of all things baseball. I'm am but a mere fan, a member of the great unwashed, who got caught up in the moment and made a completely subjective statement that you quickly and conclusively proved to be false...well as false as you can make an opinion anyway. B)

BB52Big.jpg

Did Greg Maddux's legacy "take a hit" when he left Chicago?

To be fair, Maddux was just an "all-star" when he left Chicago. Pujols is leaving St. Louis already a "first-ballot hall of famer".

Right, Pujols played in St. Louis nearly double the time Maddux was first a Cub. But hell, I even completely forgot Maddux went back to Chicago, or had his stints in SD & LA. I'm only a casual baseball fan anymore, but his Braves legacy is intact with me.

I will say this. Mark Teixeira may never win a gold glove or make an All-Star team again.

No he already got overlooked by Adrian Gonzalez... who somehow won a silver slugger over the guy who won the AL batting title who also played 1st base. Those stupid awards dont mean a thing anymore. I mean even Jeter has GG's and he is ranked statistically one of the worst defensive SS's every year. Not to get off topic but Albert will be king in the AL, as he should be because of his track record. But as a Yankee fan myself, watching the slow decline of ARod and knowing we have to pay him until 2017 makes me feel almost bad for the Angel fans out there.

I will say this. Mark Teixeira may never win a gold glove or make an All-Star team again.

No he already got overlooked by Adrian Gonzalez... who somehow won a silver slugger over the guy who won the AL batting title who also played 1st base. Those stupid awards dont mean a thing anymore. I mean even Jeter has GG's and he is ranked statistically one of the worst defensive SS's every year. Not to get off topic but Albert will be king in the AL, as he should be because of his track record. But as a Yankee fan myself, watching the slow decline of ARod and knowing we have to pay him until 2017 makes me feel almost bad for the Angel fans out there.

A-Gon started it, Pujols just solidifies my point. But you are right these awards are pointless.

Your last point is exactly how I feel, but since I'm a Yankee fan, I must hate the Pujols contract because he's not a Yankee. If anyone knows how dumb these 10 year contracts are, especially to players in their 30s, it's a Yankee fan.

BTW.. As a Yankee fan, are you surprised that there are not many complaints from Yankee fans about the inactive Yankees. Especially considering they didn't do much last off-season either.

This has to be the first offseason in a loooong time that I can recall the Yankees being content with standing pat. Even in seasons in which they won the World Series, they usually jump all over the top-name free agents.

That being said, I'm sure there were disappointed Yankee fans, upset that they didn't land Pujols to be their $250M DH.

6uXNWAo.png

This has to be the first offseason in a loooong time that I can recall the Yankees being content with standing pat. Even in seasons in which they won the World Series, they usually jump all over the top-name free agents.

That being said, I'm sure there were disappointed Yankee fans, upset that they didn't land Pujols to be their $250M DH.

I dont think the Yankees will or are content standing completely pat this offseason. They need at least 1 starting pitcher. Right now their rotation is CC Sabathia, Ivan Nova, Phil Hughes, Freddy Garcia, and A.J. Burnett. I would be surprised and even disappointed if they stand pat and go to spring training with that rotation. I like Edwin Jackson and of course Yu Darvish. Plus their are many good arms you can get via trade, namely Gio Gonzalez. Other than that, maybe a lefty for the men, and bring back both Chavez and Jones for the bench. I also would not be shocked if the Yankees signed Yoenis Cespedes.

A-Gon started it, Pujols just solidifies my point. But you are right these awards are pointless.

Your last point is exactly how I feel, but since I'm a Yankee fan, I must hate the Pujols contract because he's not a Yankee. If anyone knows how dumb these 10 year contracts are, especially to players in their 30s, it's a Yankee fan.

BTW.. As a Yankee fan, are you surprised that there are not many complaints from Yankee fans about the inactive Yankees. Especially considering they didn't do much last off-season either.

Not necessarily, I think Cashman said it pretty well yesterday on MLB Hot Stove that the Yankee's 2012 offseason happened in 2008-09 offseason when they got their own big 3(CC Tex and AJ). They have a ton of money invested in the current team. Its really hard to improve a 97 win team. They need to get younger at some positions sooner rather than later and add some pitching depth, where it be FA, trade, or from within. Yankee fans (myself included) just think we can buy all of our problems, but thats when you get Kevin Brown type deals and you realize how dumb it is.

As for Pujols never in my wildest dream did I think he would be a Yankee. I even tried rationalizing to myself that he could play 3B or a corner outfield spot and we would rotate him and ARod between DH and 3B possibly. It just wouldnt work, not for 250 million. But ya never know maybe if the Boss was still around we would see Albert in pinstripes.

As a Cubs fan, I shouldn't feel bad for the Cardinals, but I do. I should be happy Pujols is out of the National League (and especially the NL Central) but, really, I'm not.

He went for the money. He went to 3 World Series with St. Louis, winning two of them. The Angels offered him about 3 million dollars more per year (and one more year under contract) than the Cardinals did. So he threw all of those championships, all of that success, and all of those fans that adored him aside for more money. I mean, he's set for life already. He can have anything he wants. Everyone in his entire family will be rich for generations to come. But greed got the best of him and he went for the extra money.

I lose all respect for him because of this. I guess all Cardinals are dirty. :wink2:

25yzwqg.png

Does anyone know when Yoenis Cespedes becomes an official free agent? Hoping the Tigers don't break bank on him, but I'm excited that he'll most likely come here.

Also, I'm excited to see a Justin Verlander pitch to Pujols and see the Cabrera/Pujols argument resolved.

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

Does anyone know when Yoenis Cespedes becomes an official free agent? Hoping the Tigers don't break bank on him, but I'm excited that he'll most likely come here.

Also, I'm excited to see a Justin Verlander pitch to Pujols and see the Cabrera/Pujols argument resolved.

Cespedes is working on getting citizenship in the Dominican, so until that happens the GMs cant even talk about him because it is illegal to do business with a Cuban apparently. Some political stuff, but once he is a DR citizen thats when you will hear more about him.

Most likely? There are at least ten teams at his Dominican workout either Friday or Saturday. One of those teams is Miami.

The State Department will give MLB the OK to start the process on him and the 19 year old.

Archived