South Atlantic League All-Star Game

dgnmrwrw

I recently had the opportunity to design the logo for the 2012 South Atlantic League All-Star Game, to be held in Charleston, South Carolina on June 19, 2012. The logo has been released for several months now, but my efforts to get the logo added to the site (through email, etc.) haven't worked, so now I'm just posting this to 'release' it for the site/archiving purposes.

The final logo features a stylized baseball and palmetto (based on the SC state flag), with type and the "Charlie" RiverDogs logo (set over a sublimated Arthur Ravenel Junior Bridge), all within a baseball field-shaped background.

SAL_AllStar.png

The colors used are from the RiverDogs' official team colors (adding a lighter "All-Star Blue"), and Copperplate was used because it's used by the team (the other type is custom). Throughout the process, I presented the RiverDogs organization with several different directions for the logo, which I also wanted to include here. The first (proof 1) is my original idea, using only the Bridge. However, the club wanted to include the "Charlie" logo--unedited--so I created an option that simply replaced the Bridge with the "Charlie" logo (proof 2).

I also created two other options which went in different directions, including the third proof, which used a different shape and elements based on Charleston's historic wrought-iron architecture. (This option was my personal favorite, both in terms of design and practicality, and I tried my best to get the club to go in this direction.) I also made a fourth proof, which featured some of the stylistic elements from the third option, while using a baseball diamond motif. In the end, the club decided they wanted to combine options 1 and 2, effectively placing the "Charlie" logo over the Bridge. I did my best to discourage this, as I felt it would render the Bridge completely unrecognizable, but that was their final decision.

So basically, I just wanted to get this out there (especially the unused options) and add it to the site. But everyone feel free to discuss. (I'd be particularly interested to know how many viewers can really discern the Bridge effectively.)

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Your first one hit the nail on the head as a great logo. What you ended up with is a nice logo, but the client killed a great logo with the inclusion of that ridiculous dog. I understand it's part of the team logo, but it's horrible and absolutely killed your great design. The third one again is great, except the dog kills it. You have talent, and I'd love to see you get the chance to design some other team logos and event logos. Great job!

The only problem I have with the logo is that the ALL STAR GAME text. The kerning is too tight when compared to the rest of the text; plus, the letters near the end of the line seems to grow vertically, but remain the same width horizontally.

I like it. A bit busy, but the use of the Palmento Tree & Stars like on the So.Carolina Flag makes the logo sweet. Also I like the font! Well done by the So.Atlantic League!

9.2 out of 10.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

I'll be there next year! Go RiverDogs!

Also, I love the logo. The one that got chosen is the one I liked best. I liked the wrought iron one, too. I do think that Charlie needed to be included in the logo. IF you look at other ASG's from other leagues, most of them incorporate the logo of the host team, too.

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

Archived