NBC Signs NHL TV Deal

Starchild

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And the other shoe to drop is when USA, also owned by NBC/Universal, gets the cable part of the deal.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

so no more ESPN hockey?

Correct - matter of fact, last night the hosts of NHL Tonight announced that the show would not be back next season. I assumed that this meant the ABC-ESPN group would not be broadcasting games when the NHL resumes play. The only big question I have regarding this deal relates back to when the Peacock last broadcast NHL games in the 70's -- does this mean the return of Peter Puck?

If NHL2Night is done, I'll miss it big-time. Bucci's the man.

After actually reading, and seeing that the cable contract is seperate, I hope ESPN retains that. I know y'all think that all they do is show tape-delay mini-games at 3:12am, but it has to be better than most other cable options.

The NBC deal will be pretty much as sparse as the ABC deal, I suspect.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I got this in my mind. Saturday featuring a Tampa Bay Lightning game and on Sunday a Tampa Bay Storm Game and Tom Hammond will call both games.

I hope some of the ABC/ESPN announcers like Gary Thorne would go over to NBC to call these games. I remember Throne did the Olympics, and I happen to like him calling games.

I saw, I came, I left.

The article said ESPN and NHL are in talks to renew their own deal. I don't see how ESPN would give up the NHL. The league would lose a lot of revenue if ESPN dropped them. I don't see USA being a strong presence in sports. Occasional golf and tennis, but nothing else. Where else would we see hockey? CNBC? Only in the Olympics.

ESPN has said they are happy being the only network to cover all 5 major pro sports, plus most of the NCAA Championships as well.

But then again, as long as NHL Center Ice is available on digital cable, I can see almost all the games anyway.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

If the information they just gave on WGR 550 here in Buffalo is correct, NBC is going to air 7 regular season games and some playoff games on Saturday afternoons, and games 3-7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

If the information they just gave on WGR 550 here in Buffalo is correct, NBC is going to air 7 regular season games and some playoff games on Saturday afternoons, and games 3-7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

So are they going to keep us from Saturday Night hockey again?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

The article said ESPN and NHL are in talks to renew their own deal. I don't see how ESPN would give up the NHL. The league would lose a lot of revenue if ESPN dropped them. I don't see USA being a strong presence in sports. Occasional golf and tennis, but nothing else. Where else would we see hockey? CNBC? Only in the Olympics.

ESPN has said they are happy being the only network to cover all 5 major pro sports, plus most of the NCAA Championships as well.

But then again, as long as NHL Center Ice is available on digital cable, I can see almost all the games anyway.

USA Network apparently carried some sports programming back in the day, including college football (when they show the Maryland-Miami game from 1984 when they came back to win, look for the USA Network banner on the sidelines) and the old World League of American Football. Remember, most of the on-air talent for these broadcasts are probably going to come from ABC or ESPN, just as John Madden jumped from CBS to Fox when the network lost NFL football ten years ago.

QPR%20Sig.png

I heard that on WGR too. Sucks WNSA is gone though.

I thought NBC would be great for the NHL. Only 7 Regular Season Games? That kinda sucks. I would assume ESPN will do their game of the week but please don't let the boys of NHL 2 Night leave.

It all goes back to what the majority of Americans want to watch. It's all about TV ratings and the NHL isn't exactly something NBC can hang their hats on.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

NBC needed it. Out here in San Jose where the NBC O&O (owned and operated) station is located it is a huge deal. KNTV (NBC 11) is the lone network affiliated English station in San Jose, and is located less than 3/4 mile from the Shark Tank.

I think the NHL was betrayed by ESPNBA and NBABC when the NBA got a huge deal and promoted basketball up the yin yang. I mean when you have the Black Eyed Peas doing the promos for the NBA playoffs while just having a foreman say "crank it up to playoff intensity. This is no drill boys, this is the real thing." for the NHL playoffs, its pretty bad.

Sad to see NHL2Night go. I sincerly hope Buccigross jumps ship then to NBC. It would be really awesome. Oviously, ESPN wants to make sure its all NBA all the time. So you see a 2 hour blob of the NHL on ESPN2 then its back to more NFL, MLB, and NBA.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Another thing too. What about coverage ala the NBA? Have ESPN have specific night(s) for hockey and let USA get them on another night. Exposure is how this game gets more fans.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

This is good for the NHL, with the NHL being the only major sport on the network it will get the networks full attention. Ads in primetime during high rated shows will help big time.

I hope none of the ESPN announcers jump ship, especially Thorne and Bucci. Thorne is a horrible announcer and never gets the names right. Bucci is part of the problem with the leaague, all he does is teash it. Good ridance.

Archived