The Toronto Raptors need a change of identity

Ark

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How is Raptors outdated? It's a unique name which embodies a very ferocious reptile from way back in the day. Associating it with Jurassic Park is kind of a lame excuse for why it should be changed. You should associate it with the extinct reptile.

If they do rebrand they should go with a more ferocious approach for their name. Bring in new meaner looking logos.

This

There is simply no reason to change this team's identity at this point and the idea the franchise was named after a 90's box office draw is ludicrous. If they must be unique they could always add some minimal purple accents but honestly I see nothing wrong with what the team is currently wearing

Yea, so ludicrous that is was mentioned in the history of the Toronto Raptors on NBA.com (HERE). There is no doubt that the Raptors name was greatly influenced by the popular 1993 movie that just so happened to popularize velociraptors. Or was that just pure coincidence? <--haha

Now all that being said, the movie and dino craze came and went and the Toronto Raptors survived. Even though I really like the city utilizing their beautiful water skyline and having the team name, Toronto Skyline and having beautiful nightlife colors, I'm also ok with them keeping their current Raptors name. But they need a new look and a new logo.

Well... I stand corrected. I had no idea the team name was influenced by the popular movie, guess if the Mighty Ducks could do it...

If you think about it, it makes sense that a sports franchise would try to use the massive popularity of that movie to build around. Especially considering the year Toronto picked that team name. Even though their primary logo looks dated and cheesey, their alternate claw logo is perfect and clever. I wish they would build around that one.

Call them the Toronto Skyline.

Beatifultorontoatnight.png

They could incorporate all of those colors to make a really nice logo and uniforms.

not keen on the name, but love that idea for the color palette

lol, yea the Skyline name is pretty lame. I just couldn't think of anything that fits that absolutely beautiful waterfront skyline. They should really focus on the possibilities of that picture. So many great deep colors.

The dominant colors in that picture seem to be bright blue and light blue. So basically the 77-96 Blue Jays.

I see shades of purple and blue (teal?) and so many others. Use black as the main background color and the rest of the colors really stand out. I would really like to see Toronto play off of this nightlife picture in the way the Miami Marlins reinvented themselves. I don't mean the Marlins new logo, but the way the new lively colors play off of the black. I like it, a lot. The Miami Heat "Hardwood Nights" jersey is another good example of how nightlife style colors look great on a black jersey.

When I think of skyline colours in a logo, the only thing that comes to mind is the Denver Nuggets "tetris" logo from the 80s.

Sadly, many do. I think of the new Marlins, the Heat's Hardwood Nights alternate, and even the Jazz uniforms of the past.

How is Raptors outdated? It's a unique name which embodies a very ferocious reptile from way back in the day. Associating it with Jurassic Park is kind of a lame excuse for why it should be changed. You should associate it with the extinct reptile.

If they do rebrand they should go with a more ferocious approach for their name. Bring in new meaner looking logos.

This

There is simply no reason to change this team's identity at this point and the idea the franchise was named after a 90's box office draw is ludicrous. If they must be unique they could always add some minimal purple accents but honestly I see nothing wrong with what the team is currently wearing

Yea, so ludicrous that is was mentioned in the history of the Toronto Raptors on NBA.com (HERE). There is no doubt that the Raptors name was greatly influenced by the popular 1993 movie that just so happened to popularize velociraptors. Or was that just pure coincidence? <--haha

Now all that being said, the movie and dino craze came and went and the Toronto Raptors survived. Even though I really like the city utilizing their beautiful water skyline and having the team name, Toronto Skyline and having beautiful nightlife colors, I'm also ok with them keeping their current Raptors name. But they need a new look and a new logo.

Well... I stand corrected. I had no idea the team name was influenced by the popular movie, guess if the Mighty Ducks could do it...

If you think about it, it makes sense that a sports franchise would try to use the massive popularity of that movie to build around. Especially considering the year Toronto picked that team name. Even though their primary logo looks dated and cheesey, their alternate claw logo is perfect and clever. I wish they would build around that one.

They have. The dinosaur logo is primary in name only.

esqizby2rstq2agu1jm7beuqb.gif

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

So...Purple, black and Red? lol.

lol i know, but also add yellow as an outline color. When done right, a primary black uniform with purple-blue/red-orange combo outlined with possible yellow could look nice given the right style and design.

This

They have. The dinosaur logo is primary in name only.

esqizby2rstq2agu1jm7beuqb.gif

This is true. The only logo you will see in and around the ACC is the "claw" logo. The dinosaur logo is nowhere to be found. I recently went on a tour of the ACC and all things Raptors, from the entrance to their locker room to the promotional material, only uses the claw and the Raptors font. The website and the merchandise (mugs, t-shirts, etc.) are no different.

5737a3a4-1de5-426d-a5eb-067469bdd6e3.jpg

So...Purple, black and Red? lol.

Not sure if you're making fun of my post, but a change of identity doesn't necessarily need a total change of colors. And those are fairly different from what they use now anyway.

Archived