The Toronto Raptors need a change of identity

Ark

I don't see any reason to get rid of the 'Raptors' nickname.....

BUT, in the spirit of the thread:

In relation to the city, Canada, or something cold in general:

Toronto Towers (CN Tower)

Toronto Polars (polar bear)

Toronto Hogs ("Hogtown" nickname)

Toronto Yorks (Battle of York)

Toronto Freezers

Toronto Mounties

Toronto Loons (Ontario's bird) OR, Toronto Loonies (because I like it)

Tornoto Air (Air Canada)

General nicknames

Toronto Silverbacks

Tornoto Jackals

Toronto Owls

Toronto Rhinos

Toronto Squirrels

Toronto Terriers

Toronto Vultures

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the Raptors look. I loved the purple, but still like it without it. The logo is awesome. The original jersey is my favorite basketball jersey of all time.

Cool colors, unique identity, awesome logo, the only thing killing them is the plain uniforms.

Pro sports need more teams like this. It's gonna be a sad day when they kill the logo and go the boring and bland route.

One of the best, if not the best, look in the NBA.

2ly2w09.jpg

I love the Raptors look. I loved the purple, but still like it without it. The logo is awesome. The original jersey is my favorite basketball jersey of all time.

Cool colors, unique identity, awesome logo, the only thing killing them is the plain uniforms.

Pro sports need more teams like this. It's gonna be a sad day when they kill the logo and go the boring and bland route.

Not sure how it is unique to ride Jurassic Park's momentum during the 90's, but ok.

I think they need to bring back the purple, use less black and less silver. And I have no problem with the name Raptors. Infact I think it's better than just about every other name mentioned in this thread. (With the one possible exception being Huskies)

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Purple and red was a cool color scheme. They should've left it alone.

Now that the Blue Jays have straightened their identity back out, I think the best plan of attack is to switch to blue and white and look like the basketball arm of the Maple Leafs. Which they are. I'm completely serious. Toronto now = blue and modern typefaces, so go with that. The NBA doesn't have a simply royal/white team, despite all its various blue teams.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Now that the Blue Jays have straightened their identity back out, I think the best plan of attack is to switch to blue and white and look like the basketball arm of the Maple Leafs. Which they are. I'm completely serious. Toronto now = blue and modern typefaces, so go with that. The NBA doesn't have a simply royal/white team, despite all its various blue teams.

Not to mention both the Raptors and Leafs are owned by the same group. I could see it happening.

I wish this would happen. Every Toronto team had blue-and-white until the Raptors came around.

CCLSCsig-1.jpg

Uniform tracker - 2011 version coming soon...

They had it narrowed down to ten names:

Beavers, Bobcats, Dragons, Grizzlies, Hogs (Toronto's nickname is Hogtown), Raptors, Scorpions, T-Rex, Tarantulas, and Terriers.

Bobcats and Grizzlies are taken, no one outside of TO would understand "Hogs", neither Tarantulas nor Scorpions live anywhere remotely close to Toronto, a singular noun like T-Rex sounds awkward, and Dragons is just stupid. Beavers is awesome, but perhaps a bit too Canadian. Terriers it is.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Not sure how it is unique to ride Jurassic Park's momentum during the 90's, but ok.

Is that a fact they did that? I don't give a damn about the NBA, so I don't know.

But even if they did, am I missing the other NBA, NFL, NHL, or MLB teams named the Raptors with a dinosaur logo? Closeset I can think of is Predators in Nashville, also an awesome identity.

I'd say unique is fitting.

2ly2w09.jpg

One my biggest beefs with the Raptors is in regards to the color scheme. Red, Black and Silver? You mean like the Blazers? You mean like the Rockets? Red and Black like the Bulls? I don't think we need another team in the NBA with such overused colors.

You can say what you want about the original unis, but they were certainly unique:

TorontoRaptors_JFV2a_1996-1999_SCC_SRGB.pngTorontoRaptors_JBV2a_1996-1999_SCC_SRGB.png

Do the Raptors do what many NBA teams do and use the dinosaur claw as the defacto primary even though the dribbling dinosaur is the primary?

I think the Raptors name is fine. Dribbing raptor is very 90ish.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Do the Raptors do what many NBA teams do and use the dinosaur claw as the defacto primary even though the dribbling dinosaur is the primary?

I think the Raptors name is fine. Dribbing raptor is very 90ish.

Yep. it's on most (if not all) marketing, at centre court, and their 2007 division banner has that logo on it. The dino logo is very scarcely found in the ACC. The claw logo is much more abundant.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Before I read through this thread, I had it set in my mind that the second set of Raptors uniforms were the best in the L...I still believe that. They made purple and red (and black) WORK--and the black backs of the road set was a stroke of genius. (Also, it should be noted, the Raptors were the innovators of the "butt-stripe" panel, a design feature now prominently integrated into the pants of Nike's Pro Combat football SoD's...and well before Nike ever did that, that feature showed up on my Midwest Airlines concept set from my Airline Football League series.) As for the nickname, I see nothing wrong with it at all, and to me, it definitely sounds better than "Huskies".

And then I read Admiral's post.

When viewed through the context he presented, it'd make perfect sense for the Rators to switch over to a royal blue-based identity, to unify Toronto's pro sports teams. (Someone might wanna pass the Argonauts that memo, as well--yeah they're already blue, but not royal.) And since the Raps threw away the purple long ago, it ain't like we'd be losing a unique color scheme. All that said, I wouldn't want them to go straight royal and white, either. In fact, I think. Tge Blue Jays' former shade of blue, complimented but not overpowered by, a nice dark shade of cool gray (which is really what I wish the Blue Jays had went with) would be a perfect color set for a rebranded Rapotors identity. The blue would fit in with T-dot's other teams, and the gray/graphite/charcoal/whatever would work as a nice tie in to stones and fossils, which in turn would tie in nicely to their nickname and current fossilized claw-ball logo. I'd even like to see them somehow bring back the contrast-colored back panels on the road set.

But all that's just my two cents on the matter.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The Raptors just need to go back to the Carter-era look, ditch the dribbling dinosaur, and use the claw as the full time primary.

I'm not opposed to them going the blue and white route, but only if they change their name to the Huskies. For whatever reason I just can't picture the Raptors in blue and white.

They should just move them to Seattle and rebrand them as the Supersonics

Nah, they draw well and they make MLSE money.

The Cavs though? Once everyone decides not to renew their season tickets they bought before James' "Decision™" though? They might as well move to the west coast ;)

I can't believe so many people are okay with the contrasting back panels. Those were terrible.

I don't advocate the Raptors moving to Seattle, but funny you should mention: I was playing around with a concept that would incorporate a basketball and a CN Tower-dominated skyline in a circle, and then d'aww crap.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived