Holy Grail design project (discussion)

MG helmets

I see that there are a lot of professional, semi-professional, and amateur graphic designers here. I was curious to what your "Holy Grail" design project would be. What would be the one phone call you'd love to get from a pro team or college to re-design their brand? Is it a project you'd just love to tackle or your favorite team?

If a Fortune 500 company called me and asked me to design their visual identity (logos, print, web, etc.). I'm not so great at sports logos, but I feel a lot better about corporate branding-- there are fewer "rules". I've done this type of project quite a few times for smaller/local businesses, but doing it for a big company would be awesome.

I would love to be in charge of a university's identity from top to bottom. From athletic uniforms to school colors to academic letterhead, that would be the best.

I mean, all the little things - signs on campus, campus maps, etc. - would really be the fun parts.

This would be a great project. I'd also like to do it for a professional team. Top to bottom identity, including a great collection of fan apparel, signage, letterhead, field markings, uniforms, interior design of the stadium, the works. Too often great pieces of an identity are ruined by other parts of it because the designer of this didn't talk to the designer of that, and the team didn't give a hoot to try to communicate with all those involved.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

It's not a sports franchise that I'd love to get, it's designing the whole spectrum for race teams from cars, to driver and crew helmets and uniforms, to haulers to merchandise and websites, etc.

Good thread idea.

I've had the opportunity to design a minor league team's program, and was thrilled that they were receptive to the nostalgic style I do. I would love to expand on that and design signage, etc. in a ballpark to give it the same vintage feel.

And a college athletic mark would be cool too.

If a Fortune 500 company called me and asked me to design their visual identity (logos, print, web, etc.). I'm not so great at sports logos, but I feel a lot better about corporate branding-- there are fewer "rules". I've done this type of project quite a few times for smaller/local businesses, but doing it for a big company would be awesome.

I hadn't thought about Fortune 500 companies. That would be an interesting challenge

I would love to be in charge of a university's identity from top to bottom. From athletic uniforms to school colors to academic letterhead, that would be the best.

I mean, all the little things - signs on campus, campus maps, etc. - would really be the fun parts.

Yeah, but which would you want, a small Division III school or a "big boy" like Alabama or USC?

Good thread idea.

I've had the opportunity to design a minor league team's program, and was thrilled that they were receptive to the nostalgic style I do. I would love to expand on that and design signage, etc. in a ballpark to give it the same vintage feel.

There a relatively few minor league teams with their own identity instead of the parent club's. That's would be an awesome assignment.

Yeah, but which would you want, a small Division III school or a "big boy" like Alabama or USC?

A D1 that needs an update in its image. Minnesota, maybe Cal, Utah, Penn State (in light of recent happenings), hell - maybe even my alma mater, Indiana.

Good thread idea.

There a relatively few minor league teams with their own identity instead of the parent club's. That's would be an awesome assignment.

?!?

A tremendous amount of minor league team's have there own identity, if not more unique than there respective parent clubs.

i.e.

http://www.brandiose.com/

http://studiosimon.com/

I can honestly say that my "Holy Grail" would not to be designing a whole team's identity, but to rather be an Art Director or Artist for a major sports team. Teams with fantastic identities in place, i'd love to continue to grow the brand, and point the ship for the team, through marketing campaigns, brand management, etc...

Since i have no drawing ability, I'd love to take on an NHL team that already has a classic logo, but needs a jersey redesign.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

This... but for my school, which is a branding nightmare due to its identity crisis.

Archived