United States National Team Kits

aawagner011

****UPDATES IN SUBSEQUENT POSTS BELOW****

I've created some new looks for the Yanks. First off, the primary kit follows the route of the leaked hoops. I've heard a few negative comments on the Waldo kit, but I tend to quite like it as it clearly reflects our flag. So the primary top is the leaked hoops, even including the ghost sash and rubber tape at the shoulders. However, I've filled out the rest of the kit. I'll go on to explain...

The primary and secondary kits are completely separate kits and one should not be mixed with the other. You will see that both kits feature two pairs of matching shorts and socks. This is because each kit has its own distinct theme. So the way it is presented is to show that only those combos within each image are to go with that kit. The fully displayed kit on the far left of each image is the primary way in which it is designed to be worn, but the other pieces are for color clashes.

I've brought the motto "Indivisible" back as a permanent fixture on the sleeve. It was seen for a few matches when the current third kit was unveiled, but later dropped. So that comes back for this kit.

Primary kit:

The top is the leaked Waldo top. The shorts are navy blue to include our entire color palette. I've liked the thought of stars and stripes on the shorts. However, the shirt is the focal point, so I wanted these details to be subtle. So you'll find these graphics in red on both sides of the shorts, with the striping slightly at an offset angle. The socks are white with color flashes at the flip over of the sock. The alternate pieces to this kit include a white short with red graphics on the sides and a red sock. This kit encompasses all of our nation's colors in a cohesive identity that is very reflective of the flag. It is the "go to" kit and is always preferred if it is able to be worn without clashing against the opponent.

USAPrimary.png

Secondary kit:

The theme of the alternate kit is something I call "midnight confidence". Might be a lame slogan, but I figured that's the best way to explain it. It's strictly dark midnight navy with offset navy hoops to create a very subtle hoop look. No red appears in this kit at all. To do this, the crest has been rendered in a tonal manner. No striping on the white shorts to distract from the simple, midnight appearance. Any and all trim is in a silver color. The socks are the midnight navy with the darker navy at the flip up of the sock. Subtle, yet classy. You'll find all the flourishes on this kit are in a very subtle manner. The inspiration for this kit stemmed partly from the anthracite kit from 2008, partly from some tonal pieces Umbro (owned by Nike) does for its teams, and the hoops were carried over from the primary kit. Alt shorts include midnight navy to allow for a complete navy kit, as well as some alternate white socks. So if you haven't caught on by now, the only colors on this kit are two shades of navy, silver, and white.

USASecondary.png

Thoughts?

I think there's a bit too much clutter on the primary, but one change you should definitely consider is reversing the red and white so you have the correct 7 red & 6 white stripe ratio.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I think there's a bit too much clutter on the primary, but one change you should definitely consider is reversing the red and white so you have the correct 7 red & 6 white stripe ratio.

I was wondering if the shorts graphics and sock accents might be too much. As for the shirt, I do agree in that aspect, however, I literally just drew that to the same specs of the leaked shirt. So unfortunately, we have Nike to blame for that!

that secondary one needs red! also you should make sure your numbers are NOT cutting through the stripes like they are now.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

that secondary one needs red! also you should make sure your numbers are NOT cutting through the stripes like they are now.

That was actually the point of the navy kit! I wanted to try to go the route of a muted kit without any glaring colors to offset the primary kit and to also give it a sense of refined elegance. Also, the numbers are supposed to be like that. That's the way the leaked kit is, and if you look around the world, many teams have to allow for a "patch" for the numbers for visibility. I'm pretty sure FIFA requires it for certain colors, though I think lighter shades are more lenient. Argentina, for example, did not have patches for their numbers. But Croatia, on the other hand, does.

I was wondering if the shorts graphics and sock accents might be too much. As for the shirt, I do agree in that aspect, however, I literally just drew that to the same specs of the leaked shirt. So unfortunately, we have Nike to blame for that!

I would agree. I think removing the outlines from the numbers and going with solid color shorts is the way to go. Either hooped socks or just white socks with a red fold over on top? I'd also ditch the tonal sash

As for the change, what about a navy jersey with very thin red horizontal stripes, but spaced apart a good distance?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I would agree. I think removing the outlines from the numbers and going with solid color shorts is the way to go. Either hooped socks or just white socks with a red fold over on top? I'd also ditch the tonal sash

As for the change, what about a navy jersey with very thin red horizontal stripes, but spaced apart a good distance?

I like these ideas. Maybe for the primary I could go entirely minimalistic, except for the hooped top. Cut out the sash, number trim, and shorts trim like you said. Maybe I could even do a tonal crest and Nike swoosh on the shorts (like England did at WC2010) to drive all the attention to the shirt. Plain hooped socks. Simple.

And your idea for the change kit sounds very much inspired from another recent USA top. Kind of like an inverse of this?

usa-confederations-cup-2009-team-vs-spain.jpg

Swap white for navy blue and you get the general idea.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is a tonal crest like what the US women's team has on their black kit?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Hmm, I could have sworn I saw a US kit with a crest like that. Weird.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I like these ideas. Maybe for the primary I could go entirely minimalistic, except for the hooped top. Cut out the sash, number trim, and shorts trim like you said. Maybe I could even do a tonal crest and Nike swoosh on the shorts (like England did at WC2010) to drive all the attention to the shirt. Plain hooped socks. Simple.

And your idea for the change kit sounds very much inspired from another recent USA top. Kind of like an inverse of this?

usa-confederations-cup-2009-team-vs-spain.jpg

Swap white for navy blue and you get the general idea.

Yeah. I was just thinking that after I made the post.

UPDATED!

While I liked the idea of two distinct "themes" for the original kits, I will admit it wasn't as practical to have so many shorts and socks. I've taken some of y'all's advice and I've also made it a bit more simple. Two shirts, two shorts, two socks, all interchangeable. The way they are presented are the intended ways the kits are to be worn, but in the event of clashes, all pieces are interchangeable and work seamlessly together.

Changes include:

Hooped shirt loses the ghost sash

Change shirt loses hoops, adds thin horizontal pinstripes

Change shirt regains colored crest and "Indivisible" changed to gold like the home shirt

Change shirt collar changed to red

All number outlines are gone

All shorts trim has been eliminated

Shorts crest and Nike swoosh rendered in subtle tonal colors (like England did at WC2010) to drive all attention to the shirts

Home socks are now hooped, sans swoosh

Away socks are now pinstriped, sans swoosh

All instances of the double navy blue are gone, and only the navy blue from the crest remains

Overall, I am happy with this update and believe it makes for a more cohesive identity. Thoughts?

USANew.png

I'd move the jersey numbers underneath the crests.

I'd move the jersey numbers underneath the crests.

I had thought of that for a moment, since that's where the numbers currently are, but that's mostly due to the asymmetrical design. This design doesn't necessitate that and I think it would look weird. Especially because the hoops and pinstripes would be awkwardly broken, where as right now, they're symmetrical.

Solid, ain't nothing wrong with those! Good call on the red pinstripes, I thought it was missing something, and you nailed it.

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback! Maybe I'll branch this out further and introduce a third as well as go into some other countries.

I like these a lot. I think the only change Id make would be to leave the collar blue on the change.

Unlike... well, everyone else, it seems... I liked the idea of the seven stripes down the sides of the shorts. (The stars, not so much.) Definitely not a fan of the ghost crests on the shorts, either. Overall, it's good, though the fact that it's six red hoops still seems off.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived