NFL's 100th Anniversary

jsb_0403

This has been a really great thread. Tons of great concepts, lots of good feedback, and I think a great thing is going here.

It's definitely more impressive when you keep it to one concept per team. I imagine, with how things were back in the day, many of these minor-changes duplicates were simply midseason replacement jerseys for ones that were destroyed. Rather than a home and road, as you have in many of these situations, I think you should keep it to one set, blending the two if you see fit.

I also think that, in the interest of the modern uniform, you should change any "butt stripes" to side stripes. It may not be historically accurate, but I can't imagine players being too excited about "butt stripes".

What ought to be done with this entire series, instead of just throwing a bunch of concepts out there, is turn this into a league-wide event like they did with the AFL anniversary. Make a logo patch to put on all of these, create matchups between teams (some of these are white, some of them are darks, and maybe some color vs color would work, and if not, look to nearby years. Putting the Steelers in their 1935 golds for a game wouldn't hurt, for instance.) and make it a comprehensive package.

Really, flesh this thing out to the fullest, this is a great series.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also think that, in the interest of the modern uniform, you should change any "butt stripes" to side stripes. It may not be historically accurate, but I can't imagine players being too excited about "butt stripes".

Agreed 1000%

I think the Packers current throwbacks are a perfect example of why uniforms from before 1945-or-so should never be translated on to modern uniform templates too literally.

Agreed 1000%

I think the Packers current throwbacks are a perfect example of why uniforms from before 1945-or-so should never be translated on to modern uniform templates too literally.

I think the worst part about them is the fact that the chest insignia is so large. If it was the original size (about 5") those would look fine, but that 10" circle looks extremely gaudy. I think they would be much better if they were more literal in that particular case.

Also, a bunch of Under Armour designs this year had butt stripes. Personally, I don't mind the idea of butt stripes. Of course, there's a good way and a bad way to do everything, and Under Armour definitely is on the wrong side of that line more often than not.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

This has been a really great thread. Tons of great concepts, lots of good feedback, and I think a great thing is going here.

It's definitely more impressive when you keep it to one concept per team. I imagine, with how things were back in the day, many of these minor-changes duplicates were simply midseason replacement jerseys for ones that were destroyed. Rather than a home and road, as you have in many of these situations, I think you should keep it to one set, blending the two if you see fit.

What ought to be done with this entire series, instead of just throwing a bunch of concepts out there, is turn this into a league-wide event like they did with the AFL anniversary. Make a logo patch to put on all of these, create matchups between teams (some of these are white, some of them are darks, and maybe some color vs color would work, and if not, look to nearby years. Putting the Steelers in their 1935 golds for a game wouldn't hurt, for instance.) and make it a comprehensive package.

Really, flesh this thing out to the fullest, this is a great series.

I love the event idea! I am for sure going to do that. I'm gonna keep that feedback in mind when I start that up. I'll probably adjust those sets for a modern uniform, unlike these I've been working on. I really do love the event idea though, hopefully I'll get that started soon!

I really have appreciated all the feedback! I hope everyone has enjoyed this thread as much as I have.

So, here are the two final teams for the 1936 season. After that, I'll continue the thread with the 100th anniversary of the NFL. It's a little far ahead, but it would make the most sense for a league wide event like that. I'm going to try my best to use throwbacks that haven't been used in the NFL before, for the sake of uniqueness. I may need help coming up with ideas for a few teams.

Philadelphia Eagles

With these you can see a transition between their light blue sets, we've seen the Eagles throwback to once, and their former shade of green. This was a very simple set, but still a good look.

philadelphiaeagles1936.png

Chicago Cardinals

This was a good looking set. A unique helmet out of that year. Not too far from the Pirates' set. The red set looked amazing, imo.

chicagocardinals1936.png

Once I get the patch for the 100th Anniversary finished, I'll post it for C&C. Thanks for all the support on this thread!

I would probably leave the arm cuffs the same color as the body on that last one. Coloring the short sleeve cuffs white doesn't really give the same effect as the colored cuffs on a long sleeve jersey.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Just a thought for your new thread. Denver hasn't been around for all 100 years, and all of their throwbacks that are on this site have all pretty much been used in anniversary seasons. The Denver Post just put out a few pictures that might be some help.http://photos.denverpost.com/mediacenter/2012/01/photos-great-moments-in-broncos%E2%80%99-history/27431/?utm_medium=facebook#8

i have got a suggestion move the 100 to the side of the football. not the one with anniversary season,. the other one.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

I'm not sure what you're talking about.

i meant the bottom of the football. make the border a bit bigger and put 100 seasons there. place nfl on the top.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

I'm not a huge fan of the anniversary patch. The shape and layout just don't work for me. Maybe you could keep the football in the shield and use it as the middle zero in 100. Then move the one and other zero to the edges of the shield and put a star between the numbers. Then just use that as the logo.

I'm not a huge fan of the anniversary patch. The shape and layout just don't work for me. Maybe you could keep the football in the shield and use it as the middle zero in 100. Then move the one and other zero to the edges of the shield and put a star between the numbers. Then just use that as the logo.

I really like that idea. I'll definitely give that a try.

Honestly, why don't you just replace 'NFL' in the standard shield with '100' and call it a day? I think the NFL has built enough equity in that mark that it would work quite well. Alternate suggestion: just keep the shield portion of your logo, but style the '100' in the same way they did the '50' in 1969:

nfle_nfl50_patch.jpg

The football part of your logo isn't working great.

Honestly, why don't you just replace 'NFL' in the standard shield with '100' and call it a day? I think the NFL has built enough equity in that mark that it would work quite well. Alternate suggestion: just keep the shield portion of your logo, but style the '100' in the same way they did the '50' in 1969:

nfle_nfl50_patch.jpg

The football part of your logo isn't working great.

I thought about doing that, but I had trouble finding the right font, I think I have now though. I'm going to post a few variations and see what everyone thinks looks best.

Archived