NFL's 100th Anniversary

jsb_0403

So, 1936 had one of the more interesting years as far as uniforms go. There were a lot of unique looks at that time, and I thought it would make a great series. This is only an 9 team series, but I think it will still be fun and interesting.

Since finishing the 1936 season, I've decided to do the 100th Anniversary of the NFL. I'm going to try for every team to have a unique throwback, I may need help on some. I hope everyone enjoys the thread!

100th Anniversary

AFC North

Baltimore Ravens

Cincinnati Bengals

Cleveland Browns

Pittsburgh Steelers

Boston Redskins

Brooklyn Dodgers

Chicago Bears

Chicago Cardinals

Detroit Lions

Green Bay Packers

New York Giants

Philadelphia Eagles

Pittsburgh Pirates

Chicago Bears

First up are the Bears, they were my inspiration in this whole thing. I thought they were beautiful. The striped socks, the striped shoulders, the helmets, all of it. I definitely think it was a great look for them in their history.

chicagobears1936.png

C&C Please!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks nice! The one thing I'd suggest is for the stripes on the road jersey, maybe eliminate the sleeve stripes or put them on an undershirt. Right now, the shoulder pattern and sleeve pattern is cluttering up a bit and not flowing as well. Other than that though, I really like the look of it all. Nice work!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Looks good, but i ahve a problem with the striping. The white one has it on the shoulders and sleves, but the orange one has it only on the sleves. if these were to be a set it would be better if the striping was on the shoulders and the sleves on both jerseys.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

Looks good, but i ahve a problem with the striping. The white one has it on the shoulders and sleves, but the orange one has it only on the sleves. if these were to be a set it would be better if the striping was on the shoulders and the sleves on both jerseys.

That's the way the uniforms looked in 1936....

I love the idea of this project. The Bears look great, can't wait to see more.

MK8_Iggy.pngMK8_Lemmy.pngMK8_Ludwig.pngMK8_Morton.png

Just a quick question: Will you include tan like pants for certain teams like the Packers or the Steelers? I would kill to see that kind of throwback look here on the boards.

GrizzlyBlack Designs, UDC Firebird

So, 1936 had one of the more interesting years as far as uniforms go. There were a lot of unique looks at that time, and I thought it would make a great series. This is only an 8 team series, but I think it will still be fun and interesting.

Chicago Bears

First up are the Bears, they were my inspiration in this whole thing. I thought they were beautiful. The striped socks, the striped shoulders, the helmets, all of it. I definitely think it was a great look for them in their history.

chicagobears1936.png

C&C Please!

looks great but if you are doing throwbacks to the pre face mask era I think the mask should be the same color as the helmet...gray makes the mask very conspicuous (as opposed to blending in with the helmet) which defeats the purpose of achieving the look of the era.

one last thing I'd like to see the names left off.

So, 1936 had one of the more interesting years as far as uniforms go. There were a lot of unique looks at that time, and I thought it would make a great series. This is only an 8 team series, but I think it will still be fun and interesting.

Chicago Bears

chicagobears1936.png

C&C Please!

looks great but if you are doing throwbacks to the pre face mask era I think the mask should be the same color as the helmet...gray makes the mask very conspicuous (as opposed to blending in with the helmet) which defeats the purpose of achieving the look of the era.

I think a helmet-colored mask looks too modern (would be great if you were updating throwbacks to make modern sets inspired by these). Grey says football no matter what era you're replicating, and I think it's rather inconspicuous myself. The players of this era who did wear masks surely didn't wear helmet-colored masks. They were generall either grey or brownish-colored. I'll never understand these gents that seem to think that grey is such a distracting color, clashing with others and drawing attention to itself, when it really does the opposite, in my opinion.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

As DPV713 said, that's how the uniforms looked that year. Why would I change that and present an inaccurate throwback?

Just a quick question: Will you include tan like pants for certain teams like the Packers or the Steelers? I would kill to see that kind of throwback look here on the boards.

Tan pants are definitely gonna be included.

Chicago Bears

chicagobears1936.png

C&C Please!

I think a helmet-colored mask looks too modern (would be great if you were updating throwbacks to make modern sets inspired by these). Grey says football no matter what era you're replicating, and I think it's rather inconspicuous myself. The players of this era who did wear masks surely didn't wear helmet-colored masks. They were generall either grey or brownish-colored. I'll never understand these gents that seem to think that grey is such a distracting color, clashing with others and drawing attention to itself, when it really does the opposite, in my opinion.

Like andrew said, I don't see the problem with gray facemasks. Colored ones are definitely more modern.

Thanks for all the feedback! Its all very helpful. The one thing a lot of people asked for was stripes on an undershirt. The problem is, I don't have a template with an undershirt. Is there a version of this template with an undershirt?

If you put a G logo on the Packers helmets, these should both be the respective teams full time sets. I love them, and amazing job!

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

New York Giants

The Giants provide a lot of variation from the other teams at that time. They had a blue stripe around the edge of the helmet and blue side panels, no other team had that. The stripes on the back of the pants, which were surprisingly common during that time, were strange to me, but awesome at the same time. If would be so cool to see a NFL team wear a throwback like this.

newyorkgiants1936.png

love the giants!

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

Here's an update to the Bears, I got my home and away uniforms mixed up.

chicagobears1936.png

Brooklyn Dodgers

This set, from what I read, would be a throwback for the Colts, who have very loose ties with the club. With all the green, it would be pretty cool to see the Colts in these, considering they always been a blue and white team.

brooklyndodgers1936.png

Archived