2012 Minor League Baseball Shuffle

BigMac12

-- The AA Carolina Mudcats (CIN) were relocated and became the Pensacola Blue Wahoos

-- The high-A Kinston Indians (CLE) were relocated and became the Carolina Mudcats

-- The Rookie level Casper Ghosts (COL) were relocated and became the Grand Junction Rockies

I don't know how much movement your going to see in the next couple of years at the AAA and AA level.

There's very few teams that don't have localized teams at those levels. By in large I think everyone is pretty happy with what they have right now.

The only city in real danger of losing of losing a team altogether would be Vegas. If they lose their AAA franchise that's pretty much it. There's no AA league they can go to and no MLB team wants that Vegas affiliation because no matter who you give it to they're worse off then they were before. If they do survive nobody is going to sign for any longer then a two year deal. Eventually I think a AA team in the Eastern League is going to get promoted to take Vegas' place. Richmond, Bowie, Manchester, Altoona, I think would all be somewhat reasonable destinations for a new AAA team. You may get Jacksonville for their city size and ballpark, but they may be too far away from everybody else to be accepted. I feel that's the only reason they don't have a AAA affiliate now. I also think Nashville would also go to the IL giving them 16 teams and the PCL 14. I think that's going to be easier then moving either Louisville or Indianapolis to the PCL in exchange for Vegas if it happens that way.

I don't know how much movement your going to see in the next couple of years at the AAA and AA level.

There's very few teams that don't have localized teams at those levels. By in large I think everyone is pretty happy with what they have right now.

The only city in real danger of losing of losing a team altogether would be Vegas. If they lose their AAA franchise that's pretty much it. There's no AA league they can go to and no MLB team wants that Vegas affiliation because no matter who you give it to they're worse off then they were before. If they do survive nobody is going to sign for any longer then a two year deal. Eventually I think a AA team in the Eastern League is going to get promoted to take Vegas' place. Richmond, Bowie, Manchester, Altoona, I think would all be somewhat reasonable destinations for a new AAA team. You may get Jacksonville for their city size and ballpark, but they may be too far away from everybody else to be accepted. I also think Nashville would also go to the IL giving them 16 teams and the PCL 14. I think that's going to be easier then moving either Louisville or Indianapolis to the PCL in exchange for Vegas if it happens that way.

Well Vegas and Tucson. Tucson was never intended to be the final destination of the Padres AAA team. Escondido was supposed to be their final destination, but that died a horrible death today along with all redevelopment in the state of California and this ballpark.

Escondido-Ballpark-600.jpg

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/dec/29/escondido-ballpark-dead-says-mayor/

Boise is supposedly looking for a AAA team though to put in their desired new downtown ballpark and the T-Pads might be it if no one in Tucson steps up to keep them at Kino Veterans Stadium as the Padres owner is on record as saying he'd sell the T-Pads if they weren't moved to Escondido, which is again not happening now.

newboise.jpg

That may be what winds up saving Vegas. I could easily see the Padres moving their AAA to Vegas at least for a couple of years now that the Escondido ballpark deal is dead. But if San Diego goes to Vegas long term (which I don't think they will) all that means is another PCL team is going to be the hot potato team.

You just can't have 16 teams in the PCL when the majority of MLB teams are east of the Mississippi and expect everyone to be happy. There's always going to be at least one team getting screwed over by being in the PCL as long as they have 16 teams.

I think the Padres are going to wind up staying in Arizona. It may not be with Tucson, but when you got places like Talking Stick, and Goodyear at your disposal your not at a loss for choices. Even their current spring training home of Peoria could easily play host to a AAA franchise. I don't see why it would make sense for San Diego to leave Arizona if they're not moving to California.

That may be what winds up saving Vegas. I could easily see the Padres moving their AAA to Vegas at least for a couple of years now that the Escondido ballpark deal is dead. But if San Diego goes to Vegas long term (which I don't think they will) all that means is another PCL team is going to be the hot potato team.

You just can't have 16 teams in the PCL when the majority of MLB teams are east of the Mississippi and expect everyone to be happy. There's always going to be at least one team getting screwed over by being in the PCL as long as they have 16 teams.

I think the Padres are going to wind up staying in Arizona. It may not be with Tucson, but when you got places like Talking Stick, and Goodyear at your disposal your not at a loss for choices. Even their current spring training home of Peoria could easily play host to a AAA franchise. I don't see why it would make sense for San Diego to leave Arizona if they're not moving to California.

I wouldn't count on it. Moorad is going to start the process of selling the Tucson Padres in approx 90 days he stated yesterday, and has already been contacted by three out of state groups, with El Paso being the front runner but Boise and one other city are in the mix. All cities do not currently have AAA teams. Moorad stated he hasn't heard from anyone one in Tucson lately so they're not in the running to keep their team as of now. So in 2013 we'll have at least one PCL team on the move probably east to Texas.

Well Vegas and Tucson. Tucson was never intended to be the final destination of the Padres AAA team. Escondido was supposed to be their final destination, but that died a horrible death today along with all redevelopment in the state of California and this ballpark.

Does that mean we can have the Portland Beavers back? I miss them.

Does that mean we can have the Portland Beavers back? I miss them.

Unless they're going to build a ballpark and get an ownership group together in the next month or so, probably not. They're moving to El Paso more likely than not. Boise is probably second in line unless they're going to go after Vegas.

Can we break the AAA level into 3 leagues and bring back the American Association? Please?

Their are 3 leagues: the International League, Pacific Coast League, and Mexican League.

Not the same thing. I believe he means 3 affiliated leagues. While sanctioned under Minor League Baseball, the team's are not affiliates of MLB teams.

Pipedream I know, but I'd still like to see Toronto put their AAA team in Winnipeg (or vancouver for that matter).

Now that the Jays have a mandate to develop Canadian talent and markets, trying to get more minor league teams into Canadian cities is pretty vital. Winnipeg might be a four hour plane ride, but Shaw Park is gorgeous and easily expandable to 12k, and that town loves its baseball. Don't force a name change for the Goldeyes, put a Jays logo on the sleeve, and call it a day.

Also, it would be a good place for the Twins to put their farm team. It would make more sense too, but even though I hate the Jays, they have a foothold in Winnipeg and would be the best team to give it a go.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I live in El Paso and I'm sure we will not get a AAA team unless some serious cash is spent on Cohen Stadium. The second problem with moving the team here is the fact that the city cant not afford ticket prices at AAA level. I would rather see Boise get the team and have some success while we are stuck with independent baseball for the time being.

noutep2-med.gifnmst2-med.gifnmst1-med.gifnonmex-med.gif

Go Aggies!

I live in El Paso and I'm sure we will not get a AAA team unless some serious cash is spent on Cohen Stadium. The second problem with moving the team here is the fact that the city cant not afford ticket prices at AAA level. I would rather see Boise get the team and have some success while we are stuck with independent baseball for the time being.

Well the group in El Paso is pimping a new ballpark so I don't think renovating Cohen Stadium has even been discussed as a long term option. They'll be building a new ballpark. As for the city not being able to afford going, not sure why you think that. AAA prices are no more expensive than Single A in my experience going to both. They're pretty much the same or in the case of the Padres system the Tucson Padres AAA tickets are actually cheaper than the Lake Elsinore High A tickets. I mean looking at prices from last year the Diablos charged $8 for reserved seating and $7 for GA. The AAA Padres charged $10 and $7 for the same type of seats. Hardly a bank breaker for the reserved and of course the GA being the same...

Well the group in El Paso is pimping a new ballpark so I don't think renovating Cohen Stadium has even been discussed as a long term option. They'll be building a new ballpark. As for the city not being able to afford going, not sure why you think that. AAA prices are no more expensive than Single A in my experience going to both. They're pretty much the same or in the case of the Padres system the Tucson Padres AAA tickets are actually cheaper than the Lake Elsinore High A tickets. I mean looking at prices from last year the Diablos charged $8 for reserved seating and $7 for GA. The AAA Padres charged $10 and $7 for the same type of seats. Hardly a bank breaker for the reserved and of course the GA being the same...

I know there is a group trying to get a downtown stadium built. If it's a private venture there would be no problem getting it built. On the other hand if they have to take it to the voters, I doubt it will pass. The bond election for Cohen Stadium barely passed back in the 1990's and I don't know if that would happen again. Concerning ticket prices I went to go see the Isotopes and the regular box seats cost 8 bucks at Cohen cost 25 to 15 bucks. Now if the owners are able to keep the prices to under the price of going to the movies then it will work. If not they won't be able to have people in the stands. El Paso is a very fare weather town. If the team doesn't win then people will not go. Fans in this town don't realize it's not about wins and losses, but player development. I hate sounding like such a Debbie downer here, I just don't see how AAA baseball would work in this town.

noutep2-med.gifnmst2-med.gifnmst1-med.gifnonmex-med.gif

Go Aggies!

Archived