theSpungo's 2012 NFL Pro Combat Concepts

thespungo

While the presentation of these is quite nice, and they're very creative and unique, there are major issues with a few.

I don't understand your eagerness on the pants to use the entire wraparound mesh paneling (especially since the Pro Combat template doesn't do that anymore); it's gimmicky, and while you have some very good, promising designs, the pants striping ruins most of them.

Some of your more clever designs lose points because of disunity (Jacksonville) and unnecessary graphic elements (Houston). The Browns are clunky and uninspiring, and the color scheme seems more garish since you use brown and orange in abundance. Nice job on the Broncos, but again, the pants striping ruins the entire uniform. The Patriots, and Giants uniforms are nice, but there are issues. Definitely lose the flag sublimation on NE. Way too busy and distracting. You could sublimate stripes like their late 90s uniforms and that would match the socks, giving it some much-needed consistency. Love the "Nickel" color you used, reminds me of the Bills' old color. The Giants would be perfect but the pants striping just destroys the uniform. It would match the helmet, except, the color is not the same; a Northwestern striping pattern on the pants would fix the only problem with that one. SF is cool. I like it a lot. Please extend the pants striping all the way up and down; it works on Miami, not on SF. That would also be perfect. For Seattle, I abhor the gradients, and the number doesn't fit with the tribal feathery-like things, but I like that one a lot otherwise.

Miami is perfect.

Very colorful, most are well designed, and you have some great ideas, but the pants striping, man. The pants striping.

34y7eo5.jpg

You know what they say, "Traditionalist's can go die in a hole if they don't like it."

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't understand your eagerness on the pants to use the entire wraparound mesh paneling (especially since the Pro Combat template doesn't do that anymore)

First off, not sure what you're referring to there as I'm using the new Pro Combat pants template worn by Oregon in the 2012 Rose Bowl, except for a few of my throwback uniforms, for which I use an older Pro Combat pants template.

Some of your more clever designs lose points because of disunity (Jacksonville)

One of the things I was striving for most was to bring some consistency to each team's uniform set -- what exactly about the Jaguars made you think differently?

The Giants would be perfect but the pants striping just destroys the uniform. It would match the helmet, except, the color is not the same.

The thick helmet striping for the Packers and Giants, while a contrasting color on the Giants set, is meant to mimic the thick stripe of color on the mesh area of the pants.

As for the rest of your criticisms, and the criticisms of everyone else that have posted thus far, I really enjoy reading your thoughts and thank you for taking the time to share. But, as is probably obvious, we just share a difference of opinion when it comes to several design elements I've used.

I am a Packers fan and while I could get on board with stencil numbers, a lot of the rest of the concept just seems like change for the sake of change which is a big no-no here in Packer Country. Hence, the only change that was kept from the Forrest Gregg era is the shoulder numbers, and even that has more to do with the way jerseys are tailored nowadays.

If the Packers ever did go with stenciled numerals, I can't see anything besides a standard block not being overwhelmingly rejected by the cheeseheads... and even that might be too much for many of us to take. Honestly, you're best sticking to things that are already cached in the Packers uniform history if you want to make changes.

Thanks for the feedback. The idea behind my Packers concept was to remove the traditional A/B/A stripe that so many teams use, seemingly just for the sake of using. In the Packers case, they have a unique pattern on the sleeves and I've always hated when a second, different striping pattern was employed elsewhere on the uniform as I feel is clashes with a team's identity and breeds inconsistency. Problem is with the Packers, their unique striping pattern can really only exist on the jersey due to color issues, so that's why I chose to go with the solid green thick stripe.

So to remove the helmet and pants stripes, while not arbitrary, was definitely intended as a change for what I thought would be good change's sake. However, as a Kansas City Chiefs fan, I can certainly understand the hesitancy to tinker with uniform history.

First off, not sure what you're referring to there as I'm using the new Pro Combat pants template worn by Oregon in the 2012 Rose Bowl, except for a few of my throwback uniforms, for which I use an older Pro Combat pants template.

aa2a46b515d3cd111054ccfd4e46b9f8-getty-136346124.jpg

The mesh paneling doesn't wrap around, at least not on the newest uniforms

34y7eo5.jpg

You know what they say, "Traditionalist's can go die in a hole if they don't like it."

The mesh paneling doesn't wrap around, at least not on the newest uniforms

Take a closer look, I'm using the newest Pro Combat template. And even though the area in question isn't mesh, on a few of the pants I still chose to add color to the area of fabric around the knee in order to continue the striping all the way to the socks. From a distance it would appear as one solid stripe, only up close would you realize that one part is mesh and the other isn't. On some teams I thought it would make sense, others it wouldn't.

The presentation on these are really good, but in my opinion, that's about it.

As a Browns fan, the only jersey of the 3 that I remotely like is the alternate. And even then, the helmet needs its stripes. It just does. I don't have any reason for it other than they are the browns, they need that stripe. I can't stand the use of Orange letters mixed with white letters on the same jersey.

I also find it odd that on some teams you mention you want to honor their tradition while others you went crazy, outside of the box with. Some of these jerseys look like they're from 1936 while other look like they're from 2336. It makes me think that you kinda just did whatever with the jerseys, and came up with reasons that fit after the fact.

Seattle feels like a carbon copy of Oregon, the 49ers remain unchanged aside from that alternate that I really have no idea how it would work in real life. I really like the giants concept. Hate the font and huge stripe on the helmet for Green Bay. I have nothing really positive to say about Denvers unis. I like the Cheifs one because you didn't do anything to it. Dolphins aren't too bad. Not too hot on the font though. I'd have to see it on field. The Patriots ones are okay, but i dont like the skin tone or that color you used on the helmet/pants/numbers. It would look better white (maybe?). Texans look alright but I never like the monochrome red thing they do. It looks like hell to me. And those jags alternates make me angry. I do not like one thing about them.

Sorry to be such a debbie downer but I really am not a fan.

As a Browns fan, the only jersey of the 3 that I remotely like is the alternate. And even then, the helmet needs its stripes. It just does. I don't have any reason for it other than they are the browns, they need that stripe. I can't stand the use of Orange letters mixed with white letters on the same jersey.

As I've said earlier, as a Chiefs fan I understand the hesitancy to stray from a team's traditional uniform, but when that tradition interferes with good design, I opt to change for good design's sake. The Chiefs A/B/A striping pattern is consistent on all parts of their uniform, so that's why it was untouched. The Browns have two different sets of striping, which I felt needed to change.

I also find it odd that on some teams you mention you want to honor their tradition while others you went crazy, outside of the box with. Some of these jerseys look like they're from 1936 while other look like they're from 2336. It makes me think that you kinda just did whatever with the jerseys, and came up with reasons that fit after the fact.

Like I typed above, some teams have longer traditions than others and I tried to respect that as much I could, but I intervened where I thought I could make a uniform more consistent and cohesive with that team's brand identity. To me, it's the teams that arbitrarily use more than one type of striping that are the ones who aren't putting much thought into their designs.

I do appreciate the feedback, however, positive or negative. Nice to see what people are thinking and why.

I like the work you've done here Spungo and I think that this is the type of change we need in the NFL. The NFL and their fans are so wrapped up in "it has be like this and only this!" that they lose any form of evolution in the uniform.

I don't understand why so many people are all off put by the colored belt loops either. I think also some people on here are forgetting that they are pro-combat uniforms and cuts. They're supposed to be different and changing that's what happens in uniform design. If we didn't change and evolve there would be still leather helmets used.

Spungo, I love the clean and well presented concepts and I also enjoy seeing all the great work you have done to try to put some consistency into some well needed uniforms.

My favorite uniforms are Seattles as I do welcome a more non traditional designs. I also enjoy your 49ers uniforms, I like the pant stripes and I love the most gold alternate. I love the helmet especially.

Keep at these and I look forward to more of the good work you have put into these already.

spacer.png

I like the work you've done here Spungo and I think that this is the type of change we need in the NFL. The NFL and their fans are so wrapped up in "it has be like this and only this!" that they lose any form of evolution in the uniform.

I don't understand why so many people are all off put by the colored belt loops either. I think also some people on here are forgetting that they are pro-combat uniforms and cuts. They're supposed to be different and changing that's what happens in uniform design. If we didn't change and evolve there would be still leather helmets used.

Spungo, I love the clean and well presented concepts and I also enjoy seeing all the great work you have done to try to put some consistency into some well needed uniforms.

My favorite uniforms are Seattles as I do welcome a more non traditional designs. I also enjoy your 49ers uniforms, I like the pant stripes and I love the most gold alternate. I love the helmet especially.

Keep at these and I look forward to more of the good work you have put into these already.

Thanks, I appreciate that.

I understand people's reluctance to diverge from NFL uniform history, but I agree that with the new Nike takeover coming I hope to see some evolution in uniform design.

Now THAT is something I could see on the field! I like that you were able to keep the shoulder stripes that the Panthers have become known for but made their look modern. I love the reflective silver that you used on the trim and numbers, a la Boise State. It really works. The number font is great as well. My only issue is that there is no silver on the pants, and your whole mantra has been consistency. I would find a way to work it into the pants striping.

Now THAT is something I could see on the field! I like that you were able to keep the shoulder stripes that the Panthers have become known for but made their look modern. I love the reflective silver that you used on the trim and numbers, a la Boise State. It really works. The number font is great as well. My only issue is that there is no silver on the pants, and your whole mantra has been consistency. I would find a way to work it into the pants striping.

The whiskers in the primary logo are not outlined, so to keep consistent with that I placed the "whisker" stripes on the pants without outlines, as well, even though the stripes on the shoulders, helmet, and numbers have outlines.

Thanks for the comment!

Archived