theSpungo's 2012 NFL Pro Combat Concepts

thespungo

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kudos on that Giants set for using grey. A lot of people like to knock on them for it but I think they make it look great and your concepts show why. I also like the idea behind the golden gate bridge striping but its unique look detracts from the overall uniform. I dunno if there's a better way to do it but it needs work

Midway.png

Better, but now I find the typeface is not right.

Most are great and field ready. The Packers one would never happen ? switch the numbers and it still would be sketchy.

I find it interesting that people think some of the uniform concepts here would never, ever be taken seriously in the NFL? Could you offer any more details as to why you think the Packers concept, or any others, just wouldn't work?

Kudos on that Giants set for using grey. A lot of people like to knock on them for it but I think they make it look great and your concepts show why. I also like the idea behind the golden gate bridge striping but its unique look detracts from the overall uniform. I dunno if there's a better way to do it but it needs work

Thank you for the kudos on the Giants concept, I think it's my favorite so far.

As for the 49ers pants, I wanted a way to work in the three white stripes but was having a lot of trouble with that. Rather than just go with solid gold pants, I thought it would be interesting to combine a very modern design with their classic look. I like it, but share your hesitations.

Most are great and field ready. The Packers one would never happen ? switch the numbers and it still would be sketchy.

I find it interesting that people think some of the uniform concepts here would never, ever be taken seriously in the NFL? Could you offer any more details as to why you think the Packers concept, or any others, just wouldn't work?

I am no Packer fan, but I know that they would never buy into a change of number font. It'd be a third jersey gimmick, nothing more if even that.

I am no Packer fan, but I know that they would never buy into a change of number font. It'd be a third jersey gimmick, nothing more if even that.

But what if the number font better matched the team's primary wordmark? Wouldn't that be seen as better design sense and make for a stronger overall identity?

Or is it the wordmark that should be changed? I'm also not a Packer fan, and while I did try and research as much as possible into each team's history before designing a concept, I can't say I fully know the historical importance of the Packers' stenciled wordmark and whether it's change was a possibility.

I think by stripping a lot of teams of their generic striping patterns and simplifying their uniforms, having a unique number font is a great way for each team to have a strong brand identity. There's certainly a penchant for remaining true to the game's history by keeping the standard block numbers on most jerseys, but in the past few decades some teams have started to get away from that, and like I said above, I think that's a great idea.

Anyway, thanks for clarifying your criticism, I enjoy getting to know why people think the things they do.

Just my $.02, but I think what is dragging the concepts down as a whole is the colored belt loops on all and seems like almost all the pants that have stripes go around the back of the leg instead of following more traditional lines. I could see maybe one or two teams doing that but it seems that most of yours are this way. It's just hard to take these serisously because of those two things IMO. What I will say, is I love the creativity in the number fonts and the presentation of these are top notch.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

Just my $.02, but I think what is dragging the concepts down as a whole is the colored belt loops on all and seems like almost all the pants that have stripes go around the back of the leg instead of following more traditional lines. I could see maybe one or two teams doing that but it seems that most of yours are this way. It's just hard to take these serisously because of those two things IMO. What I will say, is I love the creativity in the number fonts and the presentation of these are top notch.

With the new uniform cut on it's way, I'm taking that as a chance to eschew the traditional for more modern design elements, when necessary.

I've tended to match up the belt loops to either match the jersey so the color flows nicely from top to bottom (on the Chiefs set, for instance), or to have contrasting colored belt loops that match the contrasting sleeve caps (as seen on the Jaguars or Broncos sets).

Anyway, it's just something new that I hadn't seen done yet and thought would add some good splashes of color to a few sets, I understand there could be some hesitancy to something so non-traditional.

With the new uniform cut on it's way, I'm taking that as a chance to eschew the traditional for more modern design elements, when necessary.

I've tended to match up the belt loops to either match the jersey so the color flows nicely from top to bottom (on the Chiefs set, for instance), or to have contrasting colored belt loops that match the contrasting sleeve caps (as seen on the Jaguars or Broncos sets).

Anyway, it's just something new that I hadn't seen done yet and thought would add some good splashes of color to a few sets, I understand there could be some hesitancy to something so non-traditional.

To me, it just looks weird. That's not an area that's really designed to be off-colored. I can see in a way how you'd make the case that it helps create "flow", but IRL, it would just look goofy in my opinion. I don't think it's a matter of traditional vs. non-traditional-- that fabric is used in lieu of belt loops.

There's a lot of creativity and outside-the-box thinking here, and I commend that. But I think some of these are just too much. The Patriots and Jags for example. They're just really off-the-wall, and I don't think that's something the NFL would really go for. If they were a tad more reserved and refined, I could see it happening. But I think some are just a little too wild right now.

It's not to say they're poorly done, just in the real world, the NFL would probably try to steer in a more conservative direction.

Well this is the properly named concepts forum, so I think you're entitled to bring about your ideas any way you please. The presentation is well done, you've given us new ideas that are unconventional yet effective, and I see you take time into each team's detailing so props on that. I have to agree though that the colored belt loops aren't necessary

Midway.png

The Giants are you best set in my opinion, however the huge logos and the horns on the Texans look too much like college and that does not work in the NFL. The Browns set would have been better if there was a logo on the helmet. Nice try though.

spacer.png

Thank God you aren't in charge of uniforms. I can appreciate going outside the box... but different doesn't mean better.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Most are great and field ready. The Packers one would never happen — switch the numbers and it still would be sketchy.

To me, it just looks weird. That's not an area that's really designed to be off-colored. I can see in a way how you'd make the case that it helps create "flow", but IRL, it would just look goofy in my opinion. I don't think it's a matter of traditional vs. non-traditional-- that fabric is used in lieu of belt loops.

There's a lot of creativity and outside-the-box thinking here, and I commend that. But I think some of these are just too much. The Patriots and Jags for example. They're just really off-the-wall, and I don't think that's something the NFL would really go for. If they were a tad more reserved and refined, I could see it happening. But I think some are just a little too wild right now.

It's not to say they're poorly done, just in the real world, the NFL would probably try to steer in a more conservative direction.

Just a specific example is your Pats update. If you removed the colored belt loop and just made the stripe come straight down instead of curving around the back you would have a much more aesthetically pleasing concept, AND it would still be outside the box. Maybe get rid of the flesh tone on Elvis as well. Your ideas are well presented, and outside the box, and they would still be that if you just cleaned it up a bit. Some of the things I mentioned just make the uni look cluttered and a bit slapdash, and actually are to the detriment of the flow of the uniform.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

But what if the number font better matched the team's primary wordmark? Wouldn't that be seen as better design sense and make for a stronger overall identity?

Or is it the wordmark that should be changed? I'm also not a Packer fan, and while I did try and research as much as possible into each team's history before designing a concept, I can't say I fully know the historical importance of the Packers' stenciled wordmark and whether it's change was a possibility.

I think by stripping a lot of teams of their generic striping patterns and simplifying their uniforms, having a unique number font is a great way for each team to have a strong brand identity. There's certainly a penchant for remaining true to the game's history by keeping the standard block numbers on most jerseys, but in the past few decades some teams have started to get away from that, and like I said above, I think that's a great idea.

Anyway, thanks for clarifying your criticism, I enjoy getting to know why people think the things they do.

I am a Packers fan and while I could get on board with stencil numbers, a lot of the rest of the concept just seems like change for the sake of change which is a big no-no here in Packer Country. Hence, the only change that was kept from the Forrest Gregg era is the shoulder numbers, and even that has more to do with the way jerseys are tailored nowadays.

If the Packers ever did go with stenciled numerals, I can't see anything besides a standard block not being overwhelmingly rejected by the cheeseheads... and even that might be too much for many of us to take. Honestly, you're best sticking to things that are already cached in the Packers uniform history if you want to make changes.

Archived