theSpungo's 2012 NFL Pro Combat Concepts

thespungo

Solid work. Love the Patriots jerseys. Pants are nice too but the star at the top may be too much. Also liked the 49ers. The alt is very interesting.

Jags are not my fave. Agree with the poster who said the pattern brings lingerie to mind.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jags are not my fave. Agree with the poster who said the pattern brings lingerie to mind.

I could see people hesitant to including jaguar print on a uniform design, but the Bengals have pulled it off for decades and if the Jaguars did it right and stuck with it as a big part of their identity, after a while a bunch of big, strong men wearing animal print could maybe turn the preconceptions around from trashy to intimidating. When you look at a jaguar, the animal, you don't think of the lingerie print -- it would take some time, but I think after a while the Jaguars uniforms could be seen just as ferociously as the animal itself. The branding and marketing around it would help, as well.

Thanks for the comment.

Yes! Solid red socks. You magnificent bastard. I loved seeing those against the Chargers. They each got fined for it, but Chiefs fans unanimously support the red socks. Actually, many of them would like to drop the yellow and focus on the red and white, which is something I've thought about toying around with. I've always thought that, with so little yellow in the design, it's become pointless. Most of their merchandise utilizes the red/white combination. Finding yellow on a Chiefs shirt is a bit of a quest now.

I love the Giants set. The red comes off the navy nicely. Like it used to when they used a darker shade of blue in the '80s and '90s.

Yes! Solid red socks. You magnificent bastard. I loved seeing those against the Chargers. They each got fined for it, but Chiefs fans unanimously support the red socks. Actually, many of them would like to drop the yellow and focus on the red and white, which is something I've thought about toying around with. I've always thought that, with so little yellow in the design, it's become pointless. Most of their merchandise utilizes the red/white combination. Finding yellow on a Chiefs shirt is a bit of a quest now.

I love the Giants set. The red comes off the navy nicely. Like it used to when they used a darker shade of blue in the '80s and '90s.

I agree, I don't like too much yellow popping up in the brand identity. I like the current amount on the jerseys just fine.

As for the shoes and socks, I love both as solid red, but if the team wanted to go with striped all-red socks, I would really like that paring with the striped jersey sleeves. BUT, only as long as they kept the solid red cleats -- those were by far my favorite element from that game against the Chargers. I'd love it if team's wore colored cleats, I think it would really improve the uniform aesthetic in the NFL.

Thanks for the comment!

I totally, and I mean totally love your creativity and craftsmanship in these concepts. Granted, I think most of them would look awful in the NFL, these are some well put together, albiet crazy, concepts. See, for example, I hate, and I mean hate the numbers used on the Seahawks, but I love the whole feather, totem pole idea. Smart and usable. Keep it up.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

I totally, and I mean totally love your creativity and craftsmanship in these concepts. Granted, I think most of them would look awful in the NFL, these are some well put together, albiet crazy, concepts. See, for example, I hate, and I mean hate the numbers used on the Seahawks, but I love the whole feather, totem pole idea. Smart and usable. Keep it up.

Again, while I appreciate comments like this, I just don't understand why these are so "crazy" and would look "awful" on the field.

Could you elaborate any more?

I get a kick out of the responses your concepts are getting. Some folks are just impervious to change even when they're just ideas. Despite that, I don't mind you breaking the norm with NFL teams and it's refreshing to see something different. Each set breeds a lot of curiosity so that's good but I still don't find the colored belt loops necessary.

Midway.png

Again, while I appreciate comments like this, I just don't understand why these are so "crazy" and would look "awful" on the field.

Well some of them are fine, but the Jaguars, that's just cray! I just could never see an NFL team wearing that. Whatever, though. Things like the Packers are good though. The pants stripe is also funky. Going around the back. That'd make these look a lot more in tune with reality.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Well some of them are fine, but the Jaguars, that's just cray! I just could never see an NFL team wearing that. Whatever, though. Things like the Packers are good though. The pants stripe is also funky. Going around the back. That'd make these look a lot more in tune with reality.

Well as I've said before, teams featuring animal print on a uniform is nothing new -- the Bengals have been doing it successfully for quite some time now.

As for the pants stripe that wraps around the back of the knee, that, too, is nothing new. I know not everyone is put off by progressive uniforms, but I'm still not sure exactly why others are so slow to come around.

As for what I think is crazy, taking a look at several of your concepts I saw many things that didn't make much sense to me. Just for starters, on your Kansas City Chiefs concept, why remove the sleeve stripes and then add a completely different striping pattern to the socks and also the helmet, one of the most classic images in NFL history? To me, crazy could be defined as arbitrary design choices -- making change for the sake of making change, with little to no regard for purpose or history.

But again, I appreciate your comments. Part of the fun of this is seeing why people like what they do and getting some constructive feedback.

I did a Vikings uniform just like that about 15 years ago. I've learned since then that numerals like that don't work too well for football (too hard to sew down all those irregular curves).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Added a new uniform concept for the Minnesota Vikings.

This is a great identity for the Viqueens, but I think the usual purple would be better.

The bright purple would go against just about everything I was trying to accomplish with the more traditional Norsemen identity.

I think this shade makes the overall aesthetic much more unique and would come across more intimidating on the field, as well.

Archived