theSpungo's 2012 NFL Pro Combat Concepts

thespungo

headerebs.png

In anticipation of Nike's takeover of the NFL uniform contract for the 2012 season, I've gathered together several of my concept ideas below. The templates used are Nike's latest Pro Combat uniform (Oregon's 2012 Rose Bowl uniform, for example), however in instances of traditional striping an older version of the Pro Combat pant were used.

A small change that each concept will share is a new colorway of the NFL logo for each team. Similar to MLB, each team has their own customized shield patch featuring the primary and secondary colors to place at the bottom of the neck.

AFC North

Cleveland Browns

Baltimore Ravens

AFC South

Jacksonville Jaguars

Houston Texans

AFC East

New England Patriots

Miami Dolphins

AFC West

Kansas City Chiefs

Denver Broncos

NFC North

Green Bay Packers

Minnesota Vikings

NFC South

Carolina Panthers

NFC East

New York Giants

NFC West

San Francisco 49ers

Seattle Seahawks

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not bad. the jaguars needs some updating though. that thing with the fur aint working it for me.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

I think you had great creativity here, I'll throw in my 2 cents on each.

Cleveland: A little to plaint for my likes here, just simplified to much, and I think probably the least of my favorites. The alternate though is something different that could definitely work. I think adding back the helmet stripe would help this set a lot.

Jacksonville: I'm not sure I'm digging the jag stripes on this one, but hey, it's a concept and I think as far as working with what they have, you gave it a good shot.

Houston: I think the jersey tops here are outstanding and something that would look really good out on the field. But as far as the Colorado inspired helmet and pant stripes, I'm not really sure those are the best look here, I'd go back to the drawing board there.

New England: I don't really have any complaints here, though I think on the pants, the background color on the stripes could go. I don't think the contrasting color is necessary for the stripes to look and work good.

Kansas City: I think the only thing I can say here is that I would like to see stripes on the red socks, but other than that, this thing is perfect.

Denver: Good creativity with the number set and the helmet is really nice. I would work with the gradient in the numbers and try not to have part of it blend in with the jersey itself. But good work man, I'm impressed with all these!

I'll give the whole thing an A- overall. I think the presentation and template is really good here, just a few minor tweaks imo and it's a perfect concept.

These designs as a whole are really thinking out of the box and I'm eager to see what each team looks like. Nonetheless if there's one major thing I have to point is as already mentioned, those Jags spots are rather odd, they remind me of one of those animal print thongs. Perhaps you should take the sublimated teal spots from the alt and use those throughout instead. Its very refreshing to see nontraditional concepts like these, keep up the great work!

Midway.png

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. Glad people are taking a minute to look at them and really think.

Cleveland: A little to plaint for my likes here, just simplified to much, and I think probably the least of my favorites. The alternate though is something different that could definitely work. I think adding back the helmet stripe would help this set a lot.

I personally love the plain uniforms and if I were a fan of the team I'd be thrilled to see them on the field. They have a militaristic quality to them, simple and classy with a mission of just getting the job done, no frills -- kind of an answer to the Vikings and Cardinals current uniforms. And like I said in my description, I think the Browns' colors are so unique to them that they're able to have such plain uniforms because even from a distance they're instantly recognizable as the Cleveland Browns.

As for the helmet stripe, I specifically set out in my concepts to make all uniform striping consistent, so to add the helmet stripe to this set would entirely compromise that. I look at uniforms like the current Browns set and wonder why a team would have different sets of stripes on a uniform, as I don't think it makes for much "uniformity."

Kansas City: I think the only thing I can say here is that I would like to see stripes on the red socks, but other than that, this thing is perfect.

My inspiration for that came after seeing Dwayne Bowe and a few others go with this look on Monday night against the Chargers -- I loved it and thought it would be a cool idea for teams to go with different colored shoes, just like MLB.

Screen-shot-2011-11-01-at-10.17.17-AM.png

The Broncos one is really interesting. I don't know how I feel about the numbers, but if you'd like them to work better I suggest altering the gradients. Right now you have orange/white gradients on the orange and white jerseys, and blue/white gradients on the blue jerseys. I suggest flipping them if you want them to be more legible. So on the orange jersey use a blue/white gradient, on the white jersey use an orange/blue gradient, and on the blue jersey use an orange/white gradient.

jNTsTyQ.png

Great presentation and execution, I really like what I'm seeing here in that sense... I just don't like the designs in many ways.

Browns are alright, a little too simple. And you've got two different brown jerseys, which is weird.

Far too many colors. If you want to go with a Jaguar pattern, keep it simple. Black blobs, and probably even a subliminal look like your Pats concept.

Makes no sense to use a part of a logo twice in a uniform and not use the actual logo once. (Houston)

If your going to go with the whole AMERICA! theme for the Pats, I'd seriously suggest using white instead of grey.

Whats up with the white parts on the top of the red Chiefs pants? Just doesn't work.

Helmet is... eh. Put the logo there. It's a logo with motion, good for a helmet. Now the hip logo doesn't work as well in that sense.... especially when it's the wrong direction.

But I really commend your presentation here. Good job making clean and well oiled concepts. Nice work.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

The Broncos one is really interesting. I don't know how I feel about the numbers, but if you'd like them to work better I suggest altering the gradients. Right now you have orange/white gradients on the orange and white jerseys, and blue/white gradients on the blue jerseys. I suggest flipping them if you want them to be more legible. So on the orange jersey use a blue/white gradient, on the white jersey use an orange/blue gradient, and on the blue jersey use an orange/white gradient.

I'm not 100% satisfied with the Broncos' numbers, I admit, but my reservations lie more with the execution of the mane rather than the colors.

Browns are alright, a little too simple. And you've got two different brown jerseys, which is weird.

The second jersey is essentially a throwback jersey, similar to how the Patriots concept incorporates a third jersey that doesn't share any characteristics of the home and road uniforms.

Whats up with the white parts on the top of the red Chiefs pants? Just doesn't work.

I've found that coloring in the belt loops on some pants adds for a nice splash of color on otherwise plain pants, and can match up especially nice with jerseys that have alternately colored neck and sleeve edges. You might have noticed many pants in my concepts make use of contrasting belt loops.

Browns, Patriots & Chiefs are pretty nice, although I agree with others that the Chief's socks look bare without some kind of striping.

Texans, meh. I like the jerseys, but the helmets feel like big downgrade, & the extra horn on the pants just feels unnecessary & like too much clutter.

Broncos, also meh. The jersey and pants are fine but I'd need to see the helmets in action, in mock up I can't imagine it, but I would have to actually see it in action. The numbers however do need work, the gradients make them unclear on the base of the jersey (once again as others have said, maybe swapping so it's blue gradient on orange jersey and vice versa?) and the mane fogs up the shape.

Jaguars to me are just a little bit too 'loud', personally I'd try sublimating the spot pattern onto teal, to trim out some colours (obviously not literal to a real jaguar but design, both in & out of sport, doesn't have to be).

Overall though the presentation is EXCELLENT & it's great to see this many creative ideas (also totally OT but I love the Simpson's reference in your sig :))

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

I mean I really like this, and appreciate your creativity, but as NFL concepts, I'm not sure these would work. Your designs are definitely top notch stuff though.

2ry0jsl.jpg

Fast. Hard. Finish.

I mean I really like this, and appreciate your creativity, but as NFL concepts, I'm not sure these would work. Your designs are definitely top notch stuff though.

I don't think I've done anything too revolutionary that we haven't already seen in the modern NFL, what about them do you think would not be suitable?

The Jags are my favorite with the Patriots in second. I think that the wite stripe on the Pat's pants is really unecessary and the concept would look better without it. Overall though, this is a great concept and I love your creativity.

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting. Probably too outlandish for use, but hey, it's a concept. I really would love the Jaguars alternate colors on the normal away.

You might like my first draft of the Jaguars, then:

Jacksonville Jaguars (First Draft)

And what about the concepts do you think is too "outlandish"? Why don't you think these could realistically be used on the field?

Archived