bay area hockey...

ColeJ

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=84990&hubName=nhl

that's odd... i never paid attention to the sharks attendance figures, but i assumed they regularly played in front of a packed house.

how you can make it to the conference finals, with a payroll as low as the sharks, and STILL lose that much money is beyond me. since over-paying their players obviously isn't a factor here, one has to wonder how a new CBA would help this problem... are the sharks in trouble? as i said, i always knew sharks fans to be plentiful and loyal.

I didn't knew they lodt that much. I think though that the Hurricanes lose the most. If they stayed in Hartford though, they would of lost only 32% of their annual loss in Carolina.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

i'm sure more teams lost more money than the sharks, but how many teams with a lower payroll lost that much? how many teams that went THAT deep into the playoffs lost that much?

it just seems like the sharks payoll, coupled with their performance this season, would guarantee some profit. i can see the pens losing money, because they didn't get any playoff revenue. i can see the stars/rangers/red wings losing money, because they've got such high payrolls, without an outstanding number of playoff games... but it just shocks me to see a team with so much good going for them, still not be able to make ends meet.

i'm just mostly shocked that they don't get better attendance and sponsorship.

Alright... make sure this stays on topic, and doesn't get personal people... 'confrontational and annoying' was a little too personal Cole, I hope you don't mind me attempting to avoid a conflict here.

Almost every team in the NHL loses money. It took Calgary getting to the Conference Finals to break even. I don't think the Sharks are in trouble. If they can lock in a few of their young stars to longer contracts, they could be a threat for a long time to come.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

There was a chart on ESPN a few months back that showed the NHL teams who lost money, and who made money. I remember looking, and seeing that the Thrashers make good money (I'm a homer) but didn't really notice anyone else's position.

Does anyone have this chart?

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

wait a minute... $173 US for a front row seat in a conference final? The Leafs charge that much for a regular season game.

Maybe we should hear from Puckguy for some answers...

I saw, I came, I left.

wait a minute... $173 US for a front row seat in a conference final? The Leafs charge that much for a regular season game.

Almost... it's slightly more for first row at a Leafs regular season game

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I was only being approximate... Why am I not surprised you know their ticket prices?

I saw, I came, I left.

I was only being approximate... Why am I not surprised you know their ticket prices?

I dunno... I work for them?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Hey there. This is somewhat a suprise. The team's original owner George Gund said when he sold the team to the group of investors that he was losing $15 million/year. That was with a payroll near $45-50 million in 2000, 2001, and 2002. Up until this season, ticket prices went up in every section from $1-5 per seat per game. For '03-'04 for season ticket holders, prices stayed the same, while single game tickets jumped.

Yes, $173 was the price for the glass for the Western Conference Finals. Nosebleeds (which was where my seat was when I volunteered) was $38 for Round Three.

Word was that if SJ made it to the Cup, nosebleeds were going to be at $76, and $346 for the glass. Which is actually cheaper compared to the Mighty Ducks for last year's Cup final ($95-$425) when I tried to get tickets when I was done there last year.

It also didn't help that the Sharks started the season slow. The team didn't sign players to make up for holes left by the likes of Selanne, Nolan, Graves, Marchment, etc. which caused attendance to be slow right away. Plus the team didn't win until home game #10 at the Shark Tank. Crowds of approximately 14,000 (the lowest in history since moving to San Jose from the 10,000+ seat Cow Palace) were filling in until the first sellout for Toronto's first game in San Jose in 6 seasons. It was that tie against the Leafs that attendence started to turn around.

It's likely another jump will take place. It also doesn't help that the city of San Jose gets a higher percentage of revenue from parking and concessions as a part of the deal to allow the Sharks to run and operate HP Pavilion at San Jose.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Also note as a part of the naming rights with HP (formerly with Compaq) and the city of San Jose, the Sharks can not leave San Jose for any reason until after the 2016-17 season.

I dunno... I work for them?

That was a rhetorical question.....

Also note as a part of the naming rights with HP (formerly with Compaq) and the city of San Jose, the Sharks can not leave San Jose for any reason until after the 2016-17 season.

Not even a massive earthquake that will totally destroy the arena?

I saw, I came, I left.

"Not even a massive earthquake that will totally destroy the arena?"

HP Pavilion at San Jose formerly Compaq Center @ SJ formerly San Jose Arena is able to withstand an 8.1 earthquake. :P 8.2? We're in trouble!

if anyone took offense to my sharks fan jab, forgive me... it wasn't meant at any one person specifically... most of the sharks fans i know would be delighted to know that a stars fan sees them that way... it's just a rivalry. i've seen worse things said between bruins/habs fans... i wasn't being serious, which should have been obvious by my smilies-placement.

anyway, the stars have a contract with the AAC until somewhere around 2045 or something insane like that.... but i'm pretty sure those arena contracts don't matter too much. there's likely an escape clause in there that lets the team out of it, if they pay X amount of dollars and have lost Y amount in however many years...

i'm not saying it'll happen, i'm just saying that those kind of contracts are misleading.

my post isn't supposed to be kicking a team when they're down.. i was just mostly astonished that a team under these circumstances could POSSIBLY be losing money.

HP Pavilion at San Jose formerly Compaq Center @ SJ formerly San Jose Arena is able to withstand an 8.1 earthquake. :P 8.2? We're in trouble!

8.2 will only do minor damage. 10.5 on the other hand..... (reference to the NBC miniseries)

I saw, I came, I left.

HP Pavilion at San Jose formerly Compaq Center @ SJ formerly San Jose Arena is able to withstand an 8.1 earthquake.  :P  8.2?  We're in trouble!

8.2 will only do minor damage. 10.5 on the other hand..... (reference to the NBC miniseries)

does it bother anyone else that a 10.5 earthquake is impossible as 9.0 can't even technically be reached

Azzuri.gif

HP Pavilion at San Jose formerly Compaq Center @ SJ formerly San Jose Arena is able to withstand an 8.1 earthquake.   :P 8.2? We're in trouble!

does it bother anyone else that a 10.5 earthquake is impossible as 9.0 can't even technically be reached

Yeah. I always thought the Richter scale was exponential.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Archived