2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

Like I said, the worst I've ever seen. I'm sure we all have our own opinions on that, and we've all got a different sample of games to judge from.

I have no idea who got the better of the calls in this game. I'm inclined to say the Nationals, but I think that has more to do with how it was pitched. I think the Cardinals just threw more actual strikes (and in the end, that's what they paid for, giving up to home runs on pitches right over the plate).

I don't feel like the Cardinals got screwed out of a win. I'm not sure they were going to score runs anyways. And the Nationals dealt with the same terrible umpiring. I just feel like I didn't get to watch a real good baseball game. Too many at bats on both sides were changed drastically by Jim Joyce.

And to make matters worse, Joyce has to make sure the whole ballpark can hear his awful calls.

I always felt bad for him after the Galarraga incident. I still do. But it's clear to me that he's not a very good umpire, despite all the reports we saw of "good ump just made one bad call".

Oh well. Time to move on. Said it before, but a Waino vs. Gio rematch will be fun. All up for grabs in game 5.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like I said, the worst I've ever seen. I'm sure we all have our own opinions on that, and we've all got a different sample of games to judge from.

You've never seen highlights from game 5 of the 1997 NLCS?

Giants also become the first team to ever overcome a 2-0 deficit in a 2-3 format, by winning the last three games on the road. Given the switch back to 2-2-1 next year, they may remain alone in that feat for a long time to come.

The Dodgers did it in the 1981 NLCS against the Expos.

[/nitpicking]

The Brewers did it against the Angels in the 1982 ALCS.

But I think this is the first time it has been done in a Divisional Series, which obviously haven't been played as long.

If the Orioles want to win, they need to start cashing in on some of these chances. How many times have they blown great situations like that one in this series?

Just about to post that. Here are some highlights: http://media.nesn.com/2012/10/reggie-jackson-carlton-fisk-part-of-history-of-mlbs-worst-postseason-calls-photos/4/

spacer.png

If the Orioles want to win, they need to start cashing in on some of these chances. How many times have they blown great situations like that one in this series?

Just about to post that. Here are some highlights: http://media.nesn.co...calls-photos/4/

I was 9, so that explains why I don't have a photographic memory of that game. I probably have never seen it at all. Anyways, those were some bad calls for sure. Guess I'd have to see the whole game to know if they compared to what I saw today.

I know that Matt Holliday's last strike out was probably one of the worst three pitch called strikeouts I've ever seen. He walked away laughing because it was all he could do to not get himself in trouble.

No doubt this stuff happens, though. But it shouldn't, especially since we have the technology to avoid it or at least improve it. I wish Bud Selig and co. were more willing to improve the game in ways that don't directly benefit their bottom line, but they're not.

If the Nationals can't pull off some sort of a comeback, it's time we asked ourselves who's gonna be....

3VWKq.png

If it's the Giants, it's the Giants. It must be done. Justice must be done this day.

You hate the Cardinals because you're a Cubs fan, but c'mon. If there were a Team Justice in baseball, it would be whoever is facing the Yankees.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

If the Nationals can't pull off some sort of a comeback, it's time we asked ourselves who's gonna be....

3VWKq.png

If it's the Giants, it's the Giants. It must be done. Justice must be done this day.

You hare the Cardinals because you're a Cubs fan, but c'mon. If there were a Team Justice in baseball, it would be whoever is facing the Yankees.

The Orioles can be Team Justice too. The Nats are simply MY team justice.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Good, because I will: the vaunted Players' Manager did nothing to calm everyone down, like his rookie pitcher, his :censored:fitting left fielder, or his error-making shortstop, when the 7th started to unravel. He also put the human prevent defense Kyle Farnsworth in the game to replace a Mark Prior that shouldn't have been that deep into the game in the first place. I'll also blame him for 2004, when his idea of rallying the clubhouse was to blame his poor decision-making on nebulous-to-fictitious racist hate mail and Steve Stone, then hide behind his son some more, who at least had the decency not to once again commit Dusty's cardinal sin of "clogging the basepaths."

First, off it was the 8th inning, not the seventh. Prior had a three-hit shutout through seven innings, having retired the last eight batters and throwing 95 pitches. Fans would have gone berzerk if Dusty would have sent out Farnsworth or whoever-the-hell else to start that 8th inning, and rightfully so. I agree with everything elsey you said, though.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

3VWKq.png

You hare the Cardinals because you're a Cubs fan, but c'mon. If there were a Team Justice in baseball, it would be whoever is facing the Yankees.

The Orioles can be Team Justice too. The Nats are simply MY team justice.

That's strange, I caught my "hare" typo the second after I posted it, and I quickly edited it to hate. Does it read hare or hate to anybody else?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Good, because I will: the vaunted Players' Manager did nothing to calm everyone down, like his rookie pitcher, his :censored:fitting left fielder, or his error-making shortstop, when the 7th started to unravel. He also put the human prevent defense Kyle Farnsworth in the game to replace a Mark Prior that shouldn't have been that deep into the game in the first place. I'll also blame him for 2004, when his idea of rallying the clubhouse was to blame his poor decision-making on nebulous-to-fictitious racist hate mail and Steve Stone, then hide behind his son some more, who at least had the decency not to once again commit Dusty's cardinal sin of "clogging the basepaths."

First, off it was the 8th inning, not the seventh. Prior had a three-hit shutout through seven innings, having retired the last eight batters and throwing 95 pitches. Fans would have gone berzerk if Dusty would have sent out Farnsworth or whoever-the-hell else to start that 8th inning, and rightfully so. I agree with everything elsey you said, though.

I said 7th. I meant 8th. Typo!

I don't think there would've been any going berzerk. Young pitcher, close to 100, three-run lead late, if you can't go to your bullpen (Farnsworth excluded) then, when can you?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I second the notion from whoever said Yankees games are too damn long.

It's even worse since both teams' offenses are absolutely freaking atrocious.

And the longer commercial breaks between innings for postseason games (not just for the Yankees though).

Archived