OSM61's Logos Thread

OhioSportsMan61

ive decided to make a separate thread for just logos instead of combining it with my hockey series.

first off, there is a cool video that can be found on the CBJs website about NHLs creativity department starting off their process of creating the all star logo. in the video, it shows someone going through an old concept book, and in it was this logo:

0222-cbj-3rdconcept.png

pretty cool, right? i decided to go ahead and recreate it in illustrator (keep in mind this is only the second logo i have ever made in it) C&C on it would be awesome. what do you guys think of this? could you see it as a shoulder patch?

cbusshoulder.png

My Behance Portfolio --- Follow @Steinosaur19

2LYbxnm.png

It's ok. Simple, clean, effective. Nothing really fancy. I like it.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

The idea here is spotless. That's awesome. It even makes the stripes into a Civil War rank, and that's something the Jackets have needed to do for a while.

Some of the elements here seem to be just a tiny bit off. Maybe it's just me, but the sticks look uneven at the end, and the points don't line up quite right in the middle. I would also make the stars non-italicized (I don't know how else to describe the slanted star of the blue jackets) and more in an Ohio State Flag pattern (which is obviously what's being hinted at here). The idea is perfect. The execution is just a tiny bit off, and I do mean tiny bit. Tighten this up, and that might be my favorite Jackets concept yet.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

The idea here is spotless. That's awesome. It even makes the stripes into a Civil War rank, and that's something the Jackets have needed to do for a while.

Some of the elements here seem to be just a tiny bit off. Maybe it's just me, but the sticks look uneven at the end, and the points don't line up quite right in the middle. I would also make the stars non-italicized (I don't know how else to describe the slanted star of the blue jackets) and more in an Ohio State Flag pattern (which is obviously what's being hinted at here). The idea is perfect. The execution is just a tiny bit off, and I do mean tiny bit. Tighten this up, and that might be my favorite Jackets concept yet.

thanks for the feedback! im not really sure how to arch text like that in illustrator, so if you could help me out that would be great. ill try to fix this and upload a new one sometime today or tomorrow with the sticks and stars fixed, too.

My Behance Portfolio --- Follow @Steinosaur19

2LYbxnm.png

this works for the jackets, avi! however, i would suggest adding in a little neon in there.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

Ohio, I didn't mean the font, actually, no offense Tim, I like the radially arched look better. Idk why. What you've done with the stars is exactly what I was talking about and looks worlds better.

The alignment is still screwy, something that Tim fixed. You should be able to make a 1 pixel wide vertical line through the apex of each stripe on the bottom there. I don't think that's possible right now, they're each a bit off. I can't tell you why, but I still like Ohio's more right now, but I think that's completely subjective. The thinner hockey sticks and the arched font help, the more blue space between the outline and the stripes, and for whatever reason, that gray outline does a lot. But really, that's all completely subjective, and if someone said the exact opposite, I wouldn't be surprised.

See if you can clean up that alignment thing, I think that's all that's left from making this perfect, imo.

Ohio, I didn't mean the font, actually, no offense Tim, I like the radially arched look better. Idk why. What you've done with the stars is exactly what I was talking about and looks worlds better.

The alignment is still screwy, something that Tim fixed. You should be able to make a 1 pixel wide vertical line through the apex of each stripe on the bottom there. I don't think that's possible right now, they're each a bit off. I can't tell you why, but I still like Ohio's more right now, but I think that's completely subjective. The thinner hockey sticks and the arched font help, the more blue space between the outline and the stripes, and for whatever reason, that gray outline does a lot. But really, that's all completely subjective, and if someone said the exact opposite, I wouldn't be surprised.

See if you can clean up that alignment thing, I think that's all that's left from making this perfect, imo.

I actually agree with some of what your saying, but I was going for a replication of the logo shown in the video while Avi seems to be trying to improve it - which might be a good idea. But like I said, I'm going for accuracy, though I can't tell which font is being used in actuality, because it doesn't look like the one me and Avi have used.

I actually agree with some of what your saying, but I was going for a replication of the logo shown in the video while Avi seems to be trying to improve it - which might be a good idea. But like I said, I'm going for accuracy, though I can't tell which font is being used in actuality, because it doesn't look like the one me and Avi have used.

Looking back at that photo, yours definitely is more true to the original. Idk if that's better or worse. Some of my preference might simply be that I saw his first. They're such tiny differences that it really is tough to judge better or worse because of it. I hope some others chime in on this, it's too good of an idea not to have more opinions on the matter.

Actually, I just updated my version with a more accurate font:

CBJ_Logo_2.jpg

thats the one. the font is much better and fills that space well. the "Arch" is also the way to go here. i would like the "arc" effect if Columbus were on a banner or better filled that space. right now on OSM61's version the letters are wider at the top then the bottom because that arc is too high. its distorting the letterforms. the rounded direction is a nice contrast but the current solution to set it inside the containing shape with straight sides is unflattering.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

One thing I'm slightly annoyed about this logo (all the versions thus far) is that there are only 13 stars. The Ohio flag has 17. I understand that a logo like this can be easily cluttered, but I'm just throwing that out there.

All in all I really like the idea behind it and any of these would make great shoulder patches, though I prefer the thicker/even stick size.

Archived