MLB Re-Alignment Idea

facegab

Slow day at work.

I've always thought baseball would be better off if it realigned the way basketball and hockey are aligned.

East and West instead of American and National. I know, I know it would never happen hence the word "idea."

Here are the benefits.

No more East/West coast swings for the teams, I'm sure the players hate having to travel to the opposite side of the country for a week. The trips are longer and more expensive for the teams.

No more games at odd times, no more 10:30 start times in NY or 4:30 start times in L.A.

Most teams would have almost all of their games within one time zone.

No more inter-league because they would play their local rivals all season.

Here's how it lines up.

East

NY Bos Tor Bal TB

Ny Phi Mia Was Atl

Stl Chi Pit Cin Cle

West

Laa Oak Tex Hou Sea

Chi Mil Min Det KC

Lad Sf Col Arz SD

72 Divisional Games 18 per opponent

90 Inter Divisional Games 9 per opponent

No inter-league

Honestly who cares about seeing the Phillies play the Padres every year, or the Mariners in Tampa.

Wouldn't Phillie fans rather see them play the Red Sox and Mariner fans would rather see the Giants?

Any thoughts?

Not a bad idea. However though baseball is a lot different just like the NFL is on division placement. They have both been around too long to change things now. Honestly in my opinion the MLB should have never expanded beyond 28 teams. Four divisions of 7 would have been key.

There's a thread for these pinned in the Sports Talk forum.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

If we're dropping the NL and AL distinction, then why are the NL and AL Divisions kept intact within the new League Structure?

I guess only because otherwise it would be too radical. It's just a thought obviously so you can limit or nor limt yourself. I choose to limit myself a little with how crazy the changes needed to be.

No more inter-league because they would play their local rivals all season.

Here's how it lines up.

East

NY Bos Tor Bal TB

Ny Phi Mia Was Atl

Stl Chi Pit Cin Cle

West

Laa Oak Tex Hou Sea

Chi Mil Min Det KC

Lad Sf Col Arz SD

72 Divisional Games 18 per opponent

90 Inter Divisional Games 9 per opponent

No inter-league

Honestly who cares about seeing the Phillies play the Padres every year, or the Mariners in Tampa.

Wouldn't Phillie fans rather see them play the Red Sox and Mariner fans would rather see the Giants?

Any thoughts?

Make a schedule for Opening Day (ok, Opening Week). One team in each league has to be off for each 3-4 days "series" under your scenario. For that reason alone, this can't work.

Also [insert stop reel line mints graphic]

It's where I sit.

Interesting, but I would switch St. Louis and Detroit.

STL is the gateway to the West, and Detroit just doesn't seem West to me.

+1. Detroit is part of the Motor/Rust/Steel Belt and culturally fits in more with places like Pittsburgh. STL is more "metro."

Born in STL, I remember an older saying about Missouri. STL is the nation's western-most "eastern" city and KC is the eastern-most "western" city.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

reading this thread got me thinking about mlb realingment.

Here's my plan if MLB decided to scrap this whole AL-NL thing and realigned the league based on geography, assuming there are no "historical" rivalries or whatever. It's like MLB completely started ALL OVER again or start anew.

NORTHEAST

Toronto Blue Jays

Boston Red Sox

New York Mets

New York Yankees

Philadelphia Phillies

EAST

Detroit Tigers

Cleveland Indians

Pittsburgh Pirates

Baltimore Orioles

Washington Nationals

CENTRAL

Chicago Cubs

Chicago White Sox

Cincinnati Reds

Milwaukee Brewers

St. Louis Cardinals

SOUTHEAST

Atlanta Braves

Houston Astros

Miami Marlins

Tampa Bay Rays

Texas Rangers

WEST

Arizona Diamondbacks

Colorado Rockies

Kansas City Royals

Minnesota Twins

Seattle Mariners

PACIFIC

Los Angeles Angels

Los Angeles Dodgers

Oakland Athletics

San Diego Padres

San Francisco Giants

I know the West Division doesn't make sense, but imo, it makes more sense to keep the five California teams in one division.

IowaOaks.png

I have always wished for a Great Lakes division. This is my proposed realignment, moving away from the AL-NL distinctions and focusing solely on geographical rivalries. I would have liked to add Cleveland to the Great Lakes division but it makes it harder to keep up the Chicago rivalry and the Battle of Ohio.

Playoffs would be split between the East-West divide.

EAST : Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees, New York Mets, Philadelphia Phillies, Pittsburgh Pirates

ATLANTIC: Baltimore Orioles, Washington Nationals, Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Miami Marlins

GREAT LAKES: Toronto Blue Jays, Detroit Tigers, Milwaukee Brewers, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox

MIDWEST: St. Louis Cardinals, Kansas City Royals, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians, Minnesota Twins

SOUTHWEST: Texas Rangers, Houston Astros, Colorado Rockies, Arizona Diamondbacks, San Diego Padres

PACIFIC: Los Angeles Dodgers, Los Angeles Angels, San Francisco Giants, Oakland Athletics, Seattle Mariners

5737a3a4-1de5-426d-a5eb-067469bdd6e3.jpg

Archived