The Rockies Stirrup Movement - Part 1

jake22

I think your cause is kinda silly (mainly because I think stirrups are dumb looking relics of the past), but I admire your drive and moxie to accomplish your goal. I wouldn't have the nerve to talk to a major league baseball player about stirrups.

I agree with every single word of this, especially the bolded part.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was fully expecting this to be another "I started a petition" thread, so I am pleasantly surprised.

Good luck, Jake. I think your best bet is to find some stirrups like the ones you want them to wear, buy as many as you can afford and do the following: Wear a pair to the game to get some fans interested, put an actual pair or draw one on a large, legible sign with as few words as possible (WEAR STIRRUPS would work & maybe create and add a relevant Twitter handle) and finally, if you truly believe you'll have access to players, coaches, etc., bring some pairs to give to them. Rich people love free stuff. In short, you'll only have a few moments to talk, but the right visuals could make an impression/start a movement.

I have no idea if this is good advice, but I like your guerrilla approach and am just tired enough to type out crazy ideas and hit "post." Petitions don't work, at least not for this kind of stuff.

I would like to give CubsFanBudMan the credit he deserves. This was the post that really got me thinking about how to approach the whole thing. Be assertive in a very unthreatening way. That's all for tonight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

This was the photo that was on the back of the business cards that Jamie Moyer passed out to players and the same ones that I passed out to fans.

RupsRULE1.jpg

Hey Jake, I've been following your updates here and clicking over to your blog and I must say I'm impressed with your efforts and progress. Glad I helped in a small way, but you really took the ball and ran with it. Love the sign (and its many TV appearances), the simple message and the card with the mix of Rockies and all-time greats. I'm sure there's more than one Rockies fan watching on TV saying, "There's that stirrup guy again."

You obviously caught Jamie Moyer's ear and I'm glad he put the "big man" in his place for you. Someone mentioned earlier that it's the "year of the fan" in Colorado, so it'd be great for them to have a stirrup night eventually. Keep spreading the word. You've made it further than most people thought you could already. I wish you nothing but continued success.

Wow. Amazing story Jake. Congratulations on your success in this movement. It is really picking up speed. It takes a special kind of person to be able to do all of this. I am really hoping the best for this movement.

Do you know if/when Moyer and other guys are going to start wearing your stirrups?

My most optimistic predictions would be 2-3 weeks from now, but honestly it might very likely take longer. In reality all I have done so far is plant the seed. I believe that (some) people saw me on the teevee, smiled and moved on. But then I showed up two games later, and for longer this time. I don't have a DVR but if anyone out there gets Root Sports Rocky Mountain and can record the games that I am planning to make a fool of myself at, that's how you can help. If I had some youtube videos that would be just swell. But, many people once they see me again, and again, and again. Just might type "rockies stirrups" into google. Try it, see what happens. Remember, you know nothing. These are the people that need to get on board for this thing to really take off.

-- -- -- DO NOT BUMP THIS THREAD, do I make myself clear?

This link is me in the past. I'm sure some members remember him. He was an ass. He was what is wrong with the CCSLC. He is what (helped) "destroy" the concepts section. This is only the tip of the iceberg. But please, don't go looking, that was years ago. I'm trying to prove a point which is be who you want to be. I have only recently done this, Mid January 2012 to be exact. I was always ashamed about liking sports uniform, and not being able to talk about it in the real world made me angry, very very angry. People call you a homosexual (which I am not, I know this, I care very little about people who would say otherwise). It is an odd passion, and yes, one that involves "cloths". But if someone chooses to judge me without getting to know me, so be it. I am going to do what makes me happy, and doing this makes me very happy. Some people will never get it, and that's just too bad.

I'm tired, I don't mean to lecture. But the point is that any uniform nerd can express themselves however they choose. But when they have chosen the wrong way, and they know it, it causes built up stress.

I am more stress free then any other time before in my life. And it feels great, it really does. Just do what makes you happy. That's one of the reasons why I like Jamie Moyer so much, because he does what makes him happy. He isn't a Brett Favre, he's still got it, not all the time, but he's 49 years old, what do you expect?

I think your cause is kinda silly (mainly because I think stirrups are dumb looking relics of the past), but I admire your drive and moxie to accomplish your goal. I wouldn't have the nerve to talk to a major league baseball player about stirrups.

I agree with every single word of this, especially the bolded part.

Thanks for the compliment, it means a lot. I used to think the same thing myself. But then I started reading Uni Watch every single day, and I asked myself "why don't I like the stirrup?". I couldn't think of a good enough reason. To each his own. Live and let live. blah blah blah blah....

I'm impressed after just reading your story with Jamie and the big dude. I have a feeling this is going to catch on around the team...

You seem like the kind of person I dream of being.

Dream no longer my friend.

Jake

I was fully expecting this to be another "I started a petition" thread, so I am pleasantly surprised.

Good luck, Jake. I think your best bet is to find some stirrups like the ones you want them to wear, buy as many as you can afford and do the following: Wear a pair to the game to get some fans interested, put an actual pair or draw one on a large, legible sign with as few words as possible (WEAR STIRRUPS would work & maybe create and add a relevant Twitter handle) and finally, if you truly believe you'll have access to players, coaches, etc., bring some pairs to give to them. Rich people love free stuff. In short, you'll only have a few moments to talk, but the right visuals could make an impression/start a movement.

I have no idea if this is good advice, but I like your guerrilla approach and am just tired enough to type out crazy ideas and hit "post." Petitions don't work, at least not for this kind of stuff.

I would like to give CubsFanBudMan the credit he deserves. This was the post that really got me thinking about how to approach the whole thing. Be assertive in a very unthreatening way. That's all for tonight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

This was the photo that was on the back of the business cards that Jamie Moyer passed out to players and the same ones that I passed out to fans.

Hey Jake, I've been following your updates here and clicking over to your blog and I must say I'm impressed with your efforts and progress. Glad I helped in a small way, but you really took the ball and ran with it. Love the sign (and its many TV appearances), the simple message and the card with the mix of Rockies and all-time greats. I'm sure there's more than one Rockies fan watching on TV saying, "There's that stirrup guy again."

You obviously caught Jamie Moyer's ear and I'm glad he put the "big man" in his place for you. Someone mentioned earlier that it's the "year of the fan" in Colorado, so it'd be great for them to have a stirrup night eventually. Keep spreading the word. You've made it further than most people thought you could already. I wish you nothing but continued success.

Why Thank You!

Keep up the solid effort, Jake! And, I think almost all baseball players at every level wear long socks or stirrups, they just don't always show them because their pants are not pulled up. I also happen to think Jamie Moyer likes wearing stirrups, or he would not have worn them for his entire 25 plus year career.

In all for realness if when you reach your ultimate goal, this thread needs to be "gold mined", so that other members in the future can learn how to properly start a peaceful, but powerful revolution in the niche world of sports uniforms. Anyone else agree?

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

In all for realness if when you reach your ultimate goal, this thread needs to be "gold mined", so that other members in the future can learn how to properly start a peaceful, but powerful revolution in the niche world of sports uniforms. Anyone else agree?

Agreed, it's a great story in and of itself right now, much less if the ultimate goal is achieved.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I would feel honored if that ever were to happen. But it must be known that I'm not doing this for the fame. Yeah, sure I like some attention sometimes but this is about the Uniform Nerds. The day I joined the CCSLC was a great one.

Jake

Before you go any further. Have you actually asked players why they don't wear stirrups? While I like stirrups, if a player does not want to wear them, then he's not going to and he won't. Obviously players like Moyer do, because they want to. I don't think it should be an organizational mandate, but a player preference. The thing is, your movement won't really gain much attention if you are standing behind a camera holding a sign. You have to figure out how to get your cause to the right people. The equipment manager would be a good person to start with. After that if you want to go public, you need to have your research done as far as the history, the why stirrups were originally worn, and why players today don't wear them and then go to the local media, papers, tv, and local sports radio. Heck, if you could get on a morning or afternoon radio show (not sports related) that a lot of people listen to, that would be good too. The thing is, having us following your blog and your cause, really won't get you the audience and attention you need. You have to play the game and know who's who, to get your cause out there to the right people.

Before you go any further. Have you actually asked players why they don't wear stirrups? While I like stirrups, if a player does not want to wear them, then he's not going to and he won't. Obviously players like Moyer do, because they want to. I don't think it should be an organizational mandate, but a player preference. The thing is, your movement won't really gain much attention if you are standing behind a camera holding a sign. You have to figure out how to get your cause to the right people. The equipment manager would be a good person to start with. After that if you want to go public, you need to have your research done as far as the history, the why stirrups were originally worn, and why players today don't wear them and then go to the local media, papers, tv, and local sports radio. Heck, if you could get on a morning or afternoon radio show (not sports related) that a lot of people listen to, that would be good too. The thing is, having us following your blog and your cause, really won't get you the audience and attention you need. You have to play the game and know who's who, to get your cause out there to the right people.

Thanks for the advice.

okay.jpg

Challenge_accepted.jpg

Jake

Might I point out that your "Jackie Robinson" pic is actually of Roy Campanella? It's okay though, both are respectable men who starred in the Brooklyn unis and I obviously get the point you are driving home nonetheless.

I greatly appreciate your comment on my thread about the Mariners' teal bill caps. I appreciate everyone's support and before I start soliciting myself on your thread Jake, I want to say that although I admittedly had my doubts at first, I wholeheartedly support your endeavors. We have entered a new age of fan/player interaction thanks to social media and certain types of special events, and in light of this you are relentlessly pursuing your goal of making yourself heard as a diehard Rockies fan, and that's really cool.

Who knows? Maybe next time our teams play each other, it will look like this in Seattle: teal bill caps with white jerseys for my M's, and those gorgeous striped stirrups for your Rox. :grin:

Best of luck!

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

So I guess I'm pulling an all nighter. Couldn't sleep if I tried. So, oddball, I'm about to blow your mind. I hope this shows you just a little bit what I'm going for.

I couldn't agree more. No mandatory nonsense. This is supposed to be fun. Anyone who wants to can, anyone else should go high cuffed with regular socks, and the rest can "be cool" and look like fools with their pants on the ground.

What if I get even just one player to wear several different designs. That might make Bud angry enough to finally make the sock part of the uniform again, because currently it is not. there are no rules(? help ?). This could go anywhere is the point. It's a day by day thing right now.

Sure, I could day dream for hours about road tripping to Kansas City and gaining the national spotlight. Or I could call up the pirates and convince them to pack a throwback when they come to town, or even just the hat.

Hell we could all throw in 5 bucks and pay the coolest vendor in the word to come out to colorado.

IMG_6813.jpg

hmmmmmm interesting concepts eh?

But no, realistically I am fully aware that the pajama pants are here to stay whether I like it or not. I'm going for a grassroots "Blast from the Past" type of thing. This is the exact reason I have avoided talking with the organization so far. I want them to come to me, ya know or 10,000 of me.

If a crazy idea becomes big enough it can become reality.

Oh yeah, did you guys know that we have commercials? And yes, I am well aware that it is The Year of the Fan. This year's commercials are all about "the fan". "the fan" represents a bunch of lucky season ticket holders. But what about my kind of fan. I don't have money for season tix. But I support the :censored: out them. ALWAYS HAVE ALWAYS WILL

These are just examples of the "feel" that the organization goes for. What if I make them come to me? And by make I mean take even just a wee little baby step, show the smallest amount of interest. "The Big Mean Man" could be anyone, he is the front office. I mean no harm, I'm not a threat. In fact I'm good for marketing. I could win us the world series (whoa there cowboy).

2010 -

2009 -

I'll admit, when I first read this, I thought "LOL OK, good luck with this. This idea is going nowhere. I just hope the poor guy doesn't embarrass himself", but man, I'm impressed with both your determination and the steam this thing has picked up. Good luck for the rest of the way.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

This is quite an amazing story. Good luck with this man. You seem to be on the right path and to be very determined. It's sort of a kooky goal/mission, but you've gotten this far...and you've gotten some TV exposure in the process, so shoot for the stars I guess. Can't wait to see some Rockies players wearing stirrups haha. I'm rootin' for ya.

Thanks everyone. It has occurred to me that I may have been acting cocky in the last 24-48 hours. The goal is to be humble. Speak softly but carry a big stick. So unless I have something very important to say I think that I'm just going to take a break for 24 hours or so. Go outside and take a look around the real world. Attempt to determine what my next step will be.

Someone mentioned Gold mining this. That isn't necessary, but would be an honor. But if the Mods would not mind locking this thread if would be appreciated. I'll change the title to "The Rockies Stirrup Movement - Part 1"

When the time is right I will start the "Part 2" thread.

Thanks for the support everyone! I will be back, I just want to make sure that I am doing this the right way. I can for see two scenarios, one positive and one negative, and everything in between. I don't want to go down in notoriety.

Thanks again,

- Jake

Archived