Univ. of Houston logo tweak

rcb05

I kinda hate tweaking a logo that's less than 24 hours old, but a couple things about it really bugged me. Mainly the unnecessary gray on the jaw/neck (adding a third color for no real reason), but also how the line broke at the cougar's chin. Just seemed out of place with the rest of the logo. Hence, my revised version below.

CURRENT:

new_logo_Cougar-600x405.jpg

REVISION:

7065517079_e5fb538457_z.jpg

Look, I understand you have your own preferences and things that irritate you. But look at this from my perpective and you'll get an idea of why I find that a little adobe is a dangerous thing. Look at the shape of the negative space below the chin and neck on 'your' design. And if you can't see it, and it doesn't bug you, then...

Secondly, the grey (that ties the cougar into the wider UH brand) gives some relief to the lower jaw as well as making the inside jaw distinct from the negative space.

I'm not saying there aren't logos that don't stand up to scrutiny and couldn't be improved, but the designer of this mark doesn't add colours unnecessarily and I think your 'amends' somewhat disrupt some of the more refined aspects of the design.

The weird thing for me is by closing up the chin, it feels like you now HAVE to incorporate another color (gray) for the background to make it stand out. Which defeats the purpose you were trying to achieve.

I can understand why you have issues with the original logo. It would be nice to incorporate the gray a little more to give it some balance.

With that said, their overall branding needs to be more consistent. I see a lot of black, gray and two-toned red on their sites, but very little navy.

rcb05, would you mind trying a version that eliminates the navy, and uses both reds and gray?

I'm in complete disagreement with you guys. I prefer the tweaked version much better.

The gray is completely unnecessary, especially if this logo is used in print or other B&W media. Hell, they might as well add some flywire and BFBS if Houston wants a really hip logo.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I'm in complete disagreement with you guys. I prefer the tweaked version much better.

The gray is completely unnecessary, especially if this logo is used in print or other B&W media. Hell, they might as well add some flywire and BFBS if Houston wants a really hip logo.

'black and white'? 'hip'? This is a sports team logo not a brown leather dubbing tin.

These young folks and their rock, role and colour logos, hey.

I don't mind the version posted here, but then again, I like the real version as well. They both work, but in different ways, and if we're really going to pick the nits (speaking to Fraser's point), the negative space below the neck is pretty similar on both versions. The ovular shape beneath the neck is still present in the real version. I suppose you could look at the way the negative space is possibly more 'pinched together' when you connect the chin like this, but I don't find that any more jarring than the way the negative space is pinched by the tip of the ear. Neither approach bothers me.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• 2 weeks later...

I actually wonder what it would look like if they took this version of the logo.... change the oval & outline to navy (keep the eye & whiskers red), and then fill in the negative space behind the cougar (within the oval) with red:

newCougar2012.jpg

I also like what they have done with this version of the logo:

newCougar2012redbackground.png

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks jamalr. Your valuable insight and feedback was totally worth bring up this month-old thread.

LMAO.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived