New "Old" NFL Logo discoverd!

Nintendogmaster

Not sure how anyone thought that stripes behind the letters was a good idea.

Agreed, but what intrigues me is that they did. Either they were awful designers or there was a reason we don't know about.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Check out the Giants logo on that lunchbox!

Ah, the short-lived Disco Giants.

7A2849939A974B2B9EEE55B6056CA932.jpg

That logo, on a gumball helmet, is one of the rarer gumballs around. I'd love to add it to my collection.

Brad Van Pelt played LB on my team in an APBA football league long ago. He once recovered a fumble and attempted a drop kick FG for me. Good times, I tell ya.

It's where I sit.

Check out the Giants logo on that lunchbox!

Ah, the short-lived Disco Giants.

7A2849939A974B2B9EEE55B6056CA932.jpg

>>>>>

I loved it to, and saw it first-hand in the mid-70s when the Giants played the Bills on MNF at Rich Stadium. I even asked my dad WTH did the Giants do to their logo, and they wore these blue away pants with the thickest stripes I ever seen. They definitely looked like the homeless team that they truly were as Yankee Stadium was being renovated and they were building the Meandowlands.

I think they played home games at Shea Stadium the season they wore the upper-case logo and at the Yale Bowl in CT the prior season, but I might have that backwards.

The Shield ... this will always remain tops in my heart.

I loved the AFL ... Curt Gowdy and Al DeRogatis calling the games ... Charlie Jones too ... and Bill King as voice of the Raiders along with Van Miller as voice of the Bills. After the merger I also took a liking to Dick Enberg with Merlin Olson who did AFC games and AFC inter-conference road games. John Brodie too after he retired from the 49ers.

6394.gif

Anybody know where i can find vector versions of these?

For a long time, I've been trying to figure out the beginning and ending dates for all of the various shields...these three are labeled (by the NFL) as "'40s through '60s":

NationalFootballLeague_PMK01a_1940-1959_SCC_SRGB.png

NationalFootballLeague_PMK02a_1940-1959_SCC_SRGB.png

NationalFootballLeague_PMK03a_1940-1959_SCC_SRGB.png

...the last one being an alternate version (I believe).

Here's the two most recent versions - for comparison's sake:

NationalFootballLeague_PMK01a_1970-2007_SCC_SRGB.png

NationalFootballLeague_PMK01a_2008-9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Anyone know when these were used?

Here is some information I've been able to find out.

The current logo of course was first put into service in 2008.

The previous logo did indeed begin use in 1980.

Nfl_1970.JPG

The logo before that (above) became the official logo in 1969 for the league's 50th anniversary but was seen on programs and other items as early as 1962 and was still seen on merchandise into the early 1980's.

NationalFootballLeague_PMK02a_1940-1959_SCC_SRGB.png

This logo (minus the pink) was used up to 1968 in some forms but can't really find its use after this year.

mizzoufb.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The logo before that (above) became the official logo in 1969 for the league's 50th anniversary but was seen on programs and other items as early as 1962 and was still seen on merchandise into the early 1980's.

Interesting. What's your source for that?.

Pretty simple. I went to Ebay and typed "YEAR" NFL and checked out what popped up with what NFL logo. The "1969-1979" NFL logo first popped up on game programs in 1962. The previous version still appeared in ads and even some championship tickets up to 1968. And the earliest of any shield I have found goes back to 1943.

mizzoufb.jpg

The eBay method is a very good one, but not foolproof. It also can't tell you when something was introduced other than by process of elimination, which is hard for a logo that wasn't prominently used.

Why do you say the stripe-less shield moved from secondary to primary in 1969? What did you see to give you that impression? It was used on some championship tickets before then, after all:

13975a_ice_bowl.jpg

Thanks for doing that work; and next time can you post some photos of what you find?

The eBay method is a very good one, but not foolproof. It also can't tell you when something was introduced other than by process of elimination, which is hard for a logo that wasn't prominently used.

Why do you say the stripe-less shield moved from secondary to primary in 1969? What did you see to give you that impression? It was used on some championship tickets before then, after all:

13975a_ice_bowl.jpg

Thanks for doing that work; and next time can you post some photos of what you find?

I haven't done any research, but I would suspect that the original stripeless logo would probably date to right around the time of the merger (1966). I'm going to do some searches for memorabillia from the first Super Bowl to see if it dates to then; if not than my best guess would be 1967 since it's on the stub from the Ice Bowl.

13975a_ice_bowl.jpg

I haven't done any research, but I would suspect that the original stripeless logo would probably date to right around the time of the merger (1966). I'm going to do some searches for memorabillia from the first Super Bowl to see if it dates to then; if not than my best guess would be 1967 since it's on the stub from the Ice Bowl.

Here are a couple examples.

1962 - first use of shield without stripes

http://www.ebay.com/...1d#ht_500wt_969

1968 - shield with stripes (playoff bowl ticket)

http://www.ebay.com/...67#ht_500wt_969

I'm not saying that necessarily one was primary and one was secondary between 1962 and 1968. I'm going to assume that there weren't clear standards for the logos use back then, therefore both were used based on several factors.

mizzoufb.jpg

Archived