Minor League Football - Discussion and Logos

Artisan219

Okay, I'm not exactly new to the boards, but I haven't really used my account much since I first started out playing with Illustrator.

So, here's the deal. A while back, I started talking with some online buddies about NFL expansion and relocation, and sure enough the UFL came along and that moved the conversation into a new direction. The UFL is, so far as I know, dead and gone, but the concept of using secondary "gap" markets as a development team seemed to stick with me, and I've worked out a map, complete with population statistics and market analysis, and yes, my own brand of personal preference here and there. In any case, I came up with 24 markets that I felt would do well as an NFL equivalent to AAA baseball. Yes, the NFL has the NCAA program, but you can't really send bust players back to the minors in the NFL, and that kind of farm system could have some utility. Regardless of feasibility, though, here are the markets I've chosen.

Eastern Division:

• Long Island (Hempstead)
  • Orlando
  • Virginia Beach
  • Raleigh
  • New Haven, CT
  • Charleston, SC

Northern Division:

• Toronto
  • Columbus, OH
  • Milwaukee
  • Louisville
  • Harrisburg
  • Grand Rapids

Southern Division:

• San Antonio
  • Memphis
  • Oklahoma City
  • Birmingham
  • Albuquerque
  • Pensacola, FL

Western Division:

• San Diego (with the assumption that the Chargers would relocate to Los Angeles)
  • Portland
  • Las Vegas
  • Salt Lake
  • Sacramento
  • Tucson, AZ

FDLmap.jpg

Do let me know your team suggestions or opinions. I do have team concepts in mind for more or less all of these markets (I have a few that could stand better ideas), but I'd like to hear some opinions from the board before I finish up the rest of my logos and such (planning on a uniform design as well), so don't want to redo more work than I need to. I'd much better scrap a few drawings or vector art than have to scrap the amount of work that'd go into a uniform sheet.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the idea and the cities you selected. I used to make leagues for fun while playing this or that sport. I would maybe add another Texas team and also either Vancouver or Calgary. I will do the same thing if you don't mind and we could compare our ideas.

I love the idea and the cities you selected. I used to make leagues for fun while playing this or that sport. I would maybe add another Texas team and also either Vancouver or Calgary. I will do the same thing if you don't mind and we could compare our ideas.

No, go right ahead, I'd appreciate the challenge, as it may actually get me moving on this.

I'm not opposed to another Texas team, but I'd have to either expand my map or replace one of my cities, and at that, while Texas is large, getting down to the fourth or fifth market in the state might not offer much. I'd have to check which is actually the next largest media market, but between Lubbock, Amarillo, Corpus Cristi, or El Paso, I don't really see many cities that'd rank well. I have other states that aren't represented that I'd rather use.

As far as more teams in Canada, I was trying to avoid running afoul of the CFL, or I could later do some CFL expansion concepts, but since Canada only has so many major cities, that may be a moot point. I added Toronto in the first place simply because of the rumors of the Bills relocating across Lake Ontario, but I don't see that happening without dramatically impacting the CFL. In fact, to be honest, I'm still debating on whether or not I want to replace Toronto for a US city in the Northern Midwest (Omaha or Des Moines). None of those cities would even be close to the media market of Southern Ontario, though.

Backing up to the expansion idea, right now, I have 6 teams in 4 divisions, but I suppose I could use an NHL style league format and have 6 divisions of 5 teams, but that would mean adding 6 cities, so let me know your ideas on that.

I'm not opposed to another Texas team, but I'd have to either expand my map or replace one of my cities, and at that, while Texas is large, getting down to the fourth or fifth market in the state might not offer much. I'd have to check which is actually the next largest media market, but between Lubbock, Amarillo, Corpus Cristi, or El Paso, I don't really see many cities that'd rank well. I have other states that aren't represented that I'd rather use.

*cough* Fort Worth *cough*

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

If you don't have names for the teams yet, allow me to throw out a few. Teams that already exist are in bold (btw, you forgot Omaha.

Eastern Division:

• Long Island: Tomcats
  • Orlando : Tuskers
  • Virginia Destroyers
  • Raleigh : Oaks
  • New Haven : Connecticut Canines
  • Charleston : Southerners

Northern Division:

• Toronto : Towers
  • Columbus : Ohio Bulldogs
  • Milwaukee : Millers
  • Louisville : Kentucky Colonels
  • Harrisburg : Keystones
  • Grand Rapids : Wolverines

Southern Division:

• San Antonio : Defenders
  • Memphis : Pharaohs
  • Oklahoma City : Bison
  • Birmingham : Vulcans
  • Albuquerque : Roadrunners
  • Pensacola : Sea Gulls

Western Division:

• San Diego : Sailors
  • Portland : Green
  • Las Vegas Locomotives
  • Salt Lake : Stallions
  • Sacramento Mountain Lions
  • Tucson : Arizona Tribe

FDLmap.jpg

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Name ideas:

Orlando Coasters

Virginia Beach Mariners

New Haven Greens

Charleston Gulls (shorebirds + Gullah culture)

Northern Division:

Toronto Towers

Louisville Racers

Grand Rapids Flying Dutchmen

Southern Division:

Memphis Kings

Albuquerque Suns

Pensacola Angels

Western Division:

Portland Pioneers

Sacramento Grizzlies

rATMcmK.png

How would 32 major league teams be affiliated with only 24 minor league teams? If you are willing to bump it to 32 teams, here's my suggestions:

-Boise, ID

-Little Rock, AR

-Billings, MT

-Omaha/Des Moines, IA

-Winnipeg, Manitoba

-Topeka, KS

-Springfield, IL

-Austin, TX

I realize that would totally screw up your division alignment, but looking at the map, I see a big blank spot in the country that seems deserving of some football.

spacer.png

If you don't have names for the teams yet, allow me to throw out a few. Teams that already exist are in bold (btw, you forgot Omaha.

I actually didn't forget Omaha so much as I lost Omaha in favor of larger markets. I am aware of the UFL teams, but the project allows me to make up my own teams for the markets. I am quite proud of my concepts for Las Vegas, for example. But the one exception is the Orlando Tuskers, as I am very much tempted to make up a new Tuskers logo.

How would 32 major league teams be affiliated with only 24 minor league teams? If you are willing to bump it to 32 teams, here's my suggestions:-Boise, ID-Little Rock, AR-Billings, MT-Omaha/Des Moines, IA-Winnipeg, Manitoba-Topeka, KS-Springfield, IL-Austin, TXI realize that would totally screw up your division alignment, but looking at the map, I see a big blank spot in the country that seems deserving of some football.

Yes, a straight up 32 team format would work out to a one-to-one ratio, but I actually like the idea of farm league players having some free rotation. The idea that I had was that each of the 8 teams in the NFL divisions would rotate between the 6 teams of the same division within this farm league. This way a player in Orlando could go to Philadelphia, New York, Miami, etc. Also, this would preven one farm league team from being a carbon copy of an NFL franchise. If the Cowboys, for example, wanted their quarterback to go back to the minors, there would be some maneuverability in the farm league as to which team would take him, rather than Dallas shipping the player to their own farm club. The quarterback would still be signed to Dallas, but the process of going to the minors would be something of a quick draft based on which teams wanted the player. But my own ideas here are less important than are the logos.

That being said, I would actually not mind going to a 32-team system if I really thought there were another 8 mid-market cities left on the map. However, I am not beyond using some of the bottom-level markets either. I actually do have concepts for Omaha, Boise, and even Sioux Falls (might be small, but is still the largest city between both of the Dakotas). The problem is that I would still need another five cities.

- Austin is very near San Antonio. Lubbock, TX, would pull from Odessa and Amarillo and may be a decent option.

- I like the idea of Topeka, but may be a little close to Kansas City. Perhaps Wichita would be better, but that's debatable.

- I considered Des Moines, but I'm hesitant with using both Omaha and Des Moines (since this project evolved from the UFL, I give preference to Omaha over Des Moines, even though Omaha is slightly smaller). Perhaps Cedar Rapids would be an option (halfway between Chicago and Des Moines, should have some Illinois appeal).

- That leaves on open slot for another city. No clue here, but Little Rock being as small as it is and so near to Memphis, I'd rather not. Perhaps Shreveport would work, but like I said, to get to 32 teams, I'd really have to scrape into some smaller markets.

Okay the cities in red are new additions to the map. This is not to say that I'll do 32 logos, but I'm already set for 24, so I doubt 8 more would kill me. You guys are free to rant as to which team would affiliate with which NFL franchise.

Eastern Division:

• Long Island (Hempstead)
  • Orlando
  • Raleigh
  • New Haven, CT
  • Harrisburg
  • Virginia Beach
  • Albany
  • Charleston, SC

Northern Division:

• Toronto
  • Columbus, OH
  • Milwaukee
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Louisville
  • Omaha
  • Iowa (Cedar Rapids)
  • Dakota (Sioux Falls)

Southern Division:

• San Antonio
  • Birmingham
  • Oklahoma City
  • Albuquerque
  • Memphis
  • Pensacola, FL
  • Wichita
  • Louisiana (Shreveport)

Western Division:

• San Diego (with the assumption that the Chargers would relocate to Los Angeles)
  • Sacramento
  • Portland
  • Salt Lake
  • Las Vegas
  • Tucson, AZ
  • Treasure Valley (Boise/Nampa)
  • Spokane, WA

FDLmap32.jpg

Sounds like a cool series. With the addition of the other 8 teams, you basically covered all major cities without an NFL team. I would choose Austin, TX over Sioux Falls, SD, but if you aren't changing locations anymore that's fine. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

Meh, Austin is only 80 miles from San Antonio. Granted, Baltimore and DC are about that distance, but for a minor league, it just seems too close. There aren't a plethora of other cities I can use for my Northern Division, except possibly Erie, PA or another city in Canada. As it is, Sioux Falls is outside the top hundred media markets, so if I had a better option, it'd be on the map. I do appreciate the input though.

I agree with Grand Rapids Flying Dutchmen. Being from Michigan, Grand Rapids and the surrounding area are heavily influence with that culture. Plus, Wolverines wouldn't really fly in a mostly pro-MSU city.

msufan8.png

Yes, I do have team names in mind for most of these, and I actually have vector art finished for more than a dozen. But the point of this thread is to see if someone gives me a better idea than what I already have, so before I start posting concepts, I'm trying to get a blind sample. Very open to suggestions, and I don't have anything for Spokane, Pensacola, Iowa, or Wichita (plus I'm very unsold on my ideas for Orlando, Oklahoma, and Toronto).

Yes, I do have team names in mind for most of these, and I actually have vector art finished for more than a dozen. But the point of this thread is to see if someone gives me a better idea than what I already have, so before I start posting concepts, I'm trying to get a blind sample. Very open to suggestions, and I don't have anything for Spokane, Pensacola, Iowa, or Wichita (plus I'm very unsold on my ideas for Orlando, Oklahoma, and Toronto).

For Oklahoma, Marshals or Barons (if not already used) could work. Pensacola could use Pelicans, if that's not already used. Wichita could be the Wolves, for allitteration's sake (like Pensacola, and, of course, if Wolves isn't already used).

You've named the Salt Lake/Utah and Las Vegas teams, haven't you? What about logos? When will they be shown?

Okay the cities in red are new additions to the map. This is not to say that I'll do 32 logos, but I'm already set for 24, so I doubt 8 more would kill me. You guys are free to rant as to which team would affiliate with which NFL franchise.

FDLmap32.jpg

Well I can already see the NFL affiliates:

?Long Island = GIANTS

?Orlando = DOLPHINS

?Raleigh = PANTHERS

?New Haven = PATRIOTS

?Harrisburg = EAGLES

?Virginia Beach = REDSKINS

?Albany = JETS

?Charleston = JAGUARS

?Toronto = BILLS

?Columbus = BROWNS